Wiki Posts
Search

Downtime in China - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
Downtime in China - recommendations?

Headed to China for 15 days next week and have a couple of down days to explore. The first is 1.5 days Shenzhen and the second is 1.5 days in HongKong. I have been to HongKong a dozen times but always just for the evening and flying back home the next morning. This has given me a number of great reastaraunts to choose from, but not much in the way of daytime excursions.

Any recommendations for either location? We are checking on flights to Xian to see the Terra-cotta Warriors but that's all we've got on the docket for the time in Shenzhen.

Appreciate any ideas.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:00 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For added discussion, let's invite our China forum readers to offer ideas and suggestions. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
1.5 days is a bit short for a trip to Xi'an - which is a good 2 hr flight away, no?

Shenzhen is a rather boring place. If you're looking for some relaxation, try to book one of the resort style hotels (Intercontinental won't disappoint). There are several theme parks in Shenzhen as well. For something different, head over to Huizhou and visit some of the Hakka-style houses (not too many, though), lakes & scenery and maybe -when lucky- rice terraces.
You could just as well go on a day trip to Macau from Shenzhen.

As for Hong Kong, there's a good and recent thread on less well-known sights: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...-visitors.html
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
1.5 days is a bit short for a trip to Xi'an - which is a good 2 hr flight away, no?

Shenzhen is a rather boring place. If you're looking for some relaxation, try to book one of the resort style hotels (Intercontinental won't disappoint). There are several theme parks in Shenzhen as well. For something different, head over to Huizhou and visit some of the Hakka-style houses (not too many, though), lakes & scenery and maybe -when lucky- rice terraces.
You could just as well go on a day trip to Macau from Shenzhen.

As for Hong Kong, there's a good and recent thread on less well-known sights: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...-visitors.html
I was inclined to suggest a hot spring resort; there are some good ones in Guangdong.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Originally Posted by crp5
Headed to China for 15 days next week and have a couple of down days to explore. The first is 1.5 days Shenzhen and the second is 1.5 days in HongKong. I have been to HongKong a dozen times but always just for the evening and flying back home the next morning. This has given me a number of great reastaraunts to choose from, but not much in the way of daytime excursions.

Any recommendations for either location? We are checking on flights to Xian to see the Terra-cotta Warriors but that's all we've got on the docket for the time in Shenzhen.

Appreciate any ideas.
Plenty to see in HK. Depends on what you want.. Take the peak tram, ride along the tram on HK Island to see how the city's landscape changes, visit a wet market, check out stanley, visit outlying islands (cheung chau, peng chau, lamma), go to Sai Kung village and walk around, eat dim sum, walk around Mongkok's Sneaker and Goldfish Streets etc etc etc...

Shenzhen, you could do a hotspring resort, you could also hit up Queen Spa and eat some really good food in town (lots of migrants in shenzhen = wide variety of food). SOmeone said go to Macau, also not a bad idea. In addition to gambling and prostitutes (had to start with the seedy fun first), a fair bit of the main city is a UNESCO heritage area. Portugues architecture, quiet, great food, relaxing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.