Shanghai - Nanjing High-Speed Trains Timetable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai - Nanjing High-Speed Trains Timetable

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
This sounds very promising actually, if coming from, say, Seoul-Gimpo or Tokyo-Haneda. Would you say the walk is easily doable with luggage?

Ah, finally a convenient way from a Shanghai airport to the Yangtze delta?
Yes, very doable with luggage, and can only get easier once construction is finished. I actually did the walk on the top level outside (where the cabs drop you off). But there are 4-5 floors, with one of them set to function as the link between the two stations, but was not yet complete. For the rest there is just office space in between T2 and the railway station.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PhilMHG
These are the prices I found for Shanghai - Nanjing:

G-Trains: 146 RMB / 233 RMB

D-Trains: 94 RMB / 113 RMB

So quite a price premium, but compared to Europe/Japan still very cheap
By world costs, agree totally cheap. Chinese costs, high. Problem is how and where to buy D train tickets. They don't sell at the train stations (at least as far as I can tell), and I know the locals were complaining about this. If someone knows I'd love to find out.

While I haven't had the chance to take the new connection, a friend used it for the short Suzhou - Kunshan hop and remarked that ticket prices in 1st class were double the D train fare.

Not sure if that is accurate but this China Daily article also mentions substantially higher fares than for other highspeed services:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_11038626.htm
Yes, there was a huge outcry from the public when the trains first came out over the prices. Many people were complaining about it and the gov was considering lowering the fares. I haven't heard much since, but then again the gov controls the media too.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Did take the G train in 1st class from Suzhou to Shanghai. At least for this connection we were able to arrive at Shanghai Main Station so it's good to check when purchasing tickets.

Travel time including a stop in Kunshan was about 30 minutes so not much difference to the D trains. Carriages are similar to before but the stations along the highspeed track ultra-modern ala Shanghai South Station.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:39 am

Hi all,

I need to buy G train tickets for Shanghai to Nanjing on 13th Sept. A week prior, I would actually stay at a hotel next to the Nanjing train station. Anyone knows if I could buy the ticket in the Nanjing train station (different city from departing city) for travelling next week from Shanghai-Nanjing?

Thanks.

Aaron
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
This sounds very promising actually, if coming from, say, Seoul-Gimpo or Tokyo-Haneda. Would you say the walk is easily doable with luggage?

Ah, finally a convenient way from a Shanghai airport to the Yangtze delta?
Not as promising as you think. The international flights at SHA (from HND/GMP and, from next month, HKG as well) all use the old terminal (T1). The rail station is joined onto the new terminal (T2), a few kilometres away across the runway. Transfers are currently by road/bus/taxi. Doable but with some hassle value.

Transfers from the rail station to T2 on the other hand are very easy - literally the same building, just a walk with travelators to help. You will soon also be able to check-in for PVG flights at SHA and then take the bus to the other airport.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, IC Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aaronx88
Hi all,

I need to buy G train tickets for Shanghai to Nanjing on 13th Sept. A week prior, I would actually stay at a hotel next to the Nanjing train station. Anyone knows if I could buy the ticket in the Nanjing train station (different city from departing city) for travelling next week from Shanghai-Nanjing?

Thanks.

Aaron
that's no problem at all. You can get the ticket directly from one of the ticket kiosks at the train station for any train on the whole G-route network. That's what I did in Shanghai: Bought the ticket to Nanjing as well as the return ticket from Nanjing to Shanghai. You will even get a message that tells you that you just bought a ticket which you cannot board from your current location.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 5:58 am

that's no problem at all. You can get the ticket directly from one of the ticket kiosks at the train station for any train on the whole G-route network. That's what I did in Shanghai: Bought the ticket to Nanjing as well as the return ticket from Nanjing to Shanghai. You will even get a message that tells you that you just bought a ticket which you cannot board from your current location.
Thanks Phil.

Great knowledge for someone who is first time travelling to China.

Aaron
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I always advise getting return tickets when you buy your departing tickets. Especially if you are going on a Friday...
Old Aug 29, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
Is it now possible to get returning tickets for other trains or just the G's?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, IC Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fsfguy
Is it now possible to get returning tickets for other trains or just the G's?
Can't tell you for sure. The ticket kiosks I've been talking about only cover the G trains.
You have to go to a ticket counter to get a ticket for any other train type. However, if I recall correctly from my experiences last year it was only possible to buy tickets up to 7 days in advance and only for travel originating at the station were you buy the tickets. At least I was not able to buy a ticket Zhangjiajie to Hangzhou in Shanghai. However, my mandarin skills are limited and the rules may have changed since last year...so you should definately try and report back
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:29 am

Can't tell you for sure. The ticket kiosks I've been talking about only cover the G trains.
You have to go to a ticket counter to get a ticket for any other train type. However, if I recall correctly from my experiences last year it was only possible to buy tickets up to 7 days in advance and only for travel originating at the station were you buy the tickets. At least I was not able to buy a ticket Zhangjiajie to Hangzhou in Shanghai. However, my mandarin skills are limited and the rules may have changed since last year...so you should definately try and report back
None of the auto ticket machines will sell D or K tickets anymore. I refuse to sit in line and wait at the train stations, and have never asked for anything other than the G trains if having someone help book for me. If anyone can figure out how to book a D train, I'd love to hear about it.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by mnredfox
If anyone can figure out how to book a D train, I'd love to hear about it.
Just check where your nearest local train ticket shop is located. Assuming you live in Shanghai, there should be one in every ward. One of the easiest to find is downstairs from the Maglev at Longyang Rd. station.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: various
Also try this. Not sure how accurate it is for Shanghai--for Beijing the locations listed are pretty current and accurate, although there are many additional locations that don't appear on the list. Once you know what to look for, you'll start seeing them everywhere. This very morning at my neighborhood outlet, I purchased a D train ticket for 5 days from now, out of Beijing southbound on the Shanghai line. It should work the same down there.

Last edited by jiejie; Sep 4, 2010 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:13 am

Just check where your nearest local train ticket shop is located. Assuming you live in Shanghai, there should be one in every ward. One of the easiest to find is downstairs from the Maglev at Longyang Rd. station.
Good point. I suppose I could, but in general I try to avoid these places as the lines are long and environment is somewhat miserable (loud, hot, sweaty etc). I honestly wish the China Train company (or gov) would allow more train bookings on the machines as lines are typically short and they allowed you to buy tickets to Nanjing on the D trains or even to Hangzhou earlier this year.

Now you have to buy those tickets at the train stations. I waited 1 hour two weeks ago to get a ticket to Hangzhou (last minute ticket). I'd rather use a machine or have someone else buy it for me.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:52 pm

Take PVG Airport #5 bus to the Shaihai main train station (25 RMB),

then cross street, enter into the station, use the automatic ticket machine, buy Shanghai -- Nanjing ticket. The fastest one is only 1 hr and 17 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.