Wiki Posts
Search

Visas for US citizens -- the 2010 changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:04 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by jiejie
I remember one case a few years ago where a well-known member of Congress had his staff (for his state's business promo purposes) sponsor a group of Chinese businessmen--of which a number of the group never went back to China. Very embarassing. The US Embassy in China was not amused.

Don't forget 1999

32 Shanghai School Kids made INS look like buffoons.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/may/03/news/mn-33458/6
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dtsm
Plus nowadays, the number of overstays decreasing... as Chinese economy grows?
I sense the same. Regardless of whether or not my sense is right, I'm increasingly into the idea of adding China to the visa waiver program, or at least nixing the interview requirement (which is surely a major component of the $140).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx

Everybody wants to "reciprocate" against the US fees, but it's not necessarily the rational thing to do.
As far as I can remember(dating back 20 years), the US State Dept has never
given a rat's [rear end] how foreign countries "reciprocate" againt US visa
fees. Even when a foreign country grants US citizens visa-free acces, the
US continues to charge for visas. (exception being when a nation is accepted
into the US VWP)

by the way, on the China visa for Chinese-Americans.... friend who is naturalized
US citizen originally from PRC got shot down at DC visa office. only got 1-year multiple
visa... not 2-year multiple as promised on Chinese Embassy's webiste.(for Chinese
Americans)

Last edited by drunkcats; Aug 9, 2010 at 6:42 pm
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:56 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by drunkcats
As far as I can remember(dating back 20 years), the US State Dept has never
given a rat's [rear end] how foreign countries "reciprocate" againt US visa
fees. Even when a foreign country grants US citizens visa-free acces, the
US continues to charge for visas. (exception being when a nation is accepted
into the US VWP)

by the way, on the China visa for Chinese-Americans.... friend who is naturalized
US citizen originally from PRC got shot down at DC visa office. only got 1-year multiple
visa... not 2-year multiple as promised on Chinese Embassy's webiste.(for Chinese
Americans)
1) Congress has mandated that the cost of processing the visa must be recovered by fees--in this case, fees from the "user" (applicant). Right now, US$140 is deemed the cost of the processing, including the interview. Other countries granting US citizens visa-free access for tourism or business visits, deem the individual and collective spending of those citizens to be significant enough to more than offset the foregone revenue from visa fees. Different approaches and concepts about the relative worth of visitors. However, China is on a different wavelength, being more into political tit-for-tat-ism, as pointed out by others previously.

2) Yes, the cutback of granting Chinese Americans 1-yr visas instead of 2-yrs is something I have heard about first-hand from others this year. I can't think of what's behind this trend except greed (more visa fees for next year?), but perhaps there is something else going on as well.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:10 am

consular jurisdiction

How strict does the Chinese Embassy enforce consular jurisdiction? For example, I live in Ohio, which falls under the jurisdiction of the New York Consular. However, the Embassy in DC and the Consulate in Chicago are both much closer to me than the Consulate in New York.

The reason I ask is because I will be going down to Washington to meet a friend and wanted to get the work visa taken care of while I'm there. Last time I got a visa it was done by an agent in Washington so there's already a visa processed by them in my passport. I plan to pay the extra $30 for rush processing because the school I'll be working at was very late at sending me the government papers and my flight will leave about a week after I'll get them. Plus, it's much easier than traveling to D.C. twice and paying extra in gas money, tolls, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: various
Originally Posted by navarre007
How strict does the Chinese Embassy enforce consular jurisdiction? For example, I live in Ohio, which falls under the jurisdiction of the New York Consular. However, the Embassy in DC and the Consulate in Chicago are both much closer to me than the Consulate in New York.

The reason I ask is because I will be going down to Washington to meet a friend and wanted to get the work visa taken care of while I'm there. Last time I got a visa it was done by an agent in Washington so there's already a visa processed by them in my passport. I plan to pay the extra $30 for rush processing because the school I'll be working at was very late at sending me the government papers and my flight will leave about a week after I'll get them. Plus, it's much easier than traveling to D.C. twice and paying extra in gas money, tolls, etc.
Not strict at all. Their "jurisdictional" divisions should be taken as suggestions not mandates. You can use the Chinese mission/ agent you feel works best for you.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Exactly. China doesn't need to worry much about people using tourist visas to sneak in so there's no reason to be strict about it.
Originally Posted by moondog
While that may be true, the underlying rationale (which Jamoldo spelled out) is unsettling to the BJ government. In their view, China is just as great as the US, and the tit-for-tat policy reinforces this.
Exactly. Years ago (of course) I went from West Berlin to East Berlin on a packaged day-tour. We got to the checkpoint and they gave the bus an extremely thorough once-over. As if we had hidden a load of immigrants underneath the bus who were looking to escape to the east. It was all a show of course to prove that escaping eastward was an attractive proposition that had to be guarded against.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navarre007
It's never mattered with us.

When you did the visa directly by mail we always sent it to the right office. Since the tit-for-tat lack of mail service the travel agents that have gotten our visas have sent them to various places and we have never been denied.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Exactly. Years ago (of course) I went from West Berlin to East Berlin on a packaged day-tour. We got to the checkpoint and they gave the bus an extremely thorough once-over. As if we had hidden a load of immigrants underneath the bus who were looking to escape to the east. It was all a show of course to prove that escaping eastward was an attractive proposition that had to be guarded against.
I think it's more a matter of trying to keep spies from sneaking in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.