Transfering from PVG to SHA in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfering from PVG to SHA in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by jackal
(I've done the maglev once before, but my traveling companion hasn't, and I think it's great fun. Plus, it was late at night last time and the train was "only" going 300kph--I'd like to see if it's doing the full 450kph this time!)
This web page tells you what times of day it goes at what max speeds:
http://www.smtdc.com/en/jszl1_2.html
Departures from 9:00 - 10:47 and 15:00 to 15:47 go at the highest speed (430km/h).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by bridgeair
I checked on Baidu maps, and it says that driving from Longyang Road Station to SHA takes 44 minutes, and going by subway takes 75 minutes. I'd recommend allowing a bit longer than these times though.
It is actually exactly 49 minutes.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bridgeair
This web page tells you what times of day it goes at what max speeds:
http://www.smtdc.com/en/jszl1_2.html
Departures from 9:00 - 10:47 and 15:00 to 15:47 go at the highest speed (430km/h).
Yup, thanks--I saw your link you posted earlier--hence my comment that I'm a bit disappointed I don't think I can make that work and wait until 9am to take the Maglev, as that would put us arriving at SHA around 10:30 for my 11:50 flight, just a bit too close for comfort, I think.

Or is it? It's a domestic flight from SHA to PEK (albeit connecting in PEK internationally to SFO, if that adds any complexity). I'm Star Gold (and connecting onward from PEK in biz, although I'm in Y on this segment), and we will have checked luggage. Is arriving at the counter an hour and fifteen minutes before departure a bad idea? What is SHA like in terms of check-in lines, security lines, walking times to the gates, etc.?

If 1h15m is perfectly fine, then maybe it's worth waiting and taking the 9am maglev. Then both I and my travel companion get a cool and new experience.

(FWIW, I have little problem arriving at any U.S. airport 1h ahead, albeit with elite status and usually no checked bag.)
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jackal
that would put us arriving at SHA around 10:30 for my 11:50 flight, just a bit too close for comfort, I think.
T-80 minutes is extremely comfortable for intra-China flights with the possible exception of PEK-T3.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:48 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by JPDM
Not quite. The announcement was made in 2009 and construction began in 2011.
As usual in the middle kingdom it takes more time to negotiate the
deal than it does to complete the project.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by moondog
T-80 minutes is extremely comfortable for intra-China flights with the possible exception of PEK-T3.
Might make a go of it on the 9:02 maglev, then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.