FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Transfering from PVG to SHA in Shanghai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1015728-transfering-pvg-sha-shanghai.html)

pred02 Nov 10, 2009 9:04 am

Transfering from PVG to SHA in Shanghai

Hi,
I am arriving to PVG at 9:45am on a Wed from Moscow. I have to connecto to Shenzen (SHA). I have two choices: 1. Wait until 4pm and take a direct flight from PVG to SZX, or 2. Transfer to SHA and take an earlier direct flight (2:30pm). I read there is a direct bus from PVG to SHA in Shanghai but just wanted to get other peoples input before I book it. Thanks!

FLLDL Nov 10, 2009 11:05 am

If those are your only options, I would go with the flight out of SHA, 6+ hours is too long for me to sit around after a long flight. Bus or taxi are pretty cheap to make the transfer to Hongqiao, though fighting your way across town will be no fun.

There should be an earlier flight out of PVG. There used to be an early afternoon flight on China Southern, might want to look into that.

Also, if your inbound flight isn't booked yet, you should be able to get a tighter connection through PEK which won't involve airport hopping.

Safe Travels

jiejie Nov 10, 2009 11:43 am

Didn't see this question before I answered your other one. I agree, if those were my only choices, I'd probably choose to suck it up and head over to Hongqiao. With a 2:30 pm flight, you'd get into Shenzhen about the time the PVG flight is taking off. PVG is no great shakes to hang out in for that long.

moondog Nov 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by pred02 (Post 12799225)
Hi,
I am arriving to PVG at 9:45am on a Wed from Moscow. I have to connecto to Shenzen (SHA). I have two choices: 1. Wait until 4pm and take a direct flight from PVG to SZX, or 2. Transfer to SHA and take an earlier direct flight (2:30pm). I read there is a direct bus from PVG to SHA in Shanghai but just wanted to get other peoples input before I book it. Thanks!

Can't you book the 1:05pm flight from PVG (CZ6752)?

Otherwise, I'm not sure a 1.5 savings justifies the airport switch (the bus is reasonably convenient, but SHA is only one or two notches more civil than Shanghai Station). If I booked the 4pm flight, I'd probably head over to the Ramada for a workout, massage, and lunch and return to the airport at 3pm.

pred02 Nov 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Can't you book the 1:05pm flight from PVG (CZ6752)?
This flight is not coming up on CTrip. The only flight that is coming up in the AM is 07:45am. Is there another site though whom I can book this flight?

I'd probably choose to suck it up and head over to Hongqiao.
There are a number of available flights from SHA. If a flight arrives at 9:45 with all the scenarios (flight coming in late, traffic, luggage, etc) how much time would you allocate for the transfer and if so is the direct bus the way to go?

Got to book tickets tomorrow so let me know SHA or PVD! I agree the transfer will give me something to do and kill time just curious as to how much time it takes worst case scenario.

moondog Nov 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by pred02 (Post 12800861)
This flight is not coming up on CTrip. The only flight that is coming up in the AM is 07:45am. Is there another site though whom I can book this flight?

I checked before you provided date information; indeed, there isn't a 2pm flight on the December schedule.

There are a number of available flights from SHA. If a flight arrives at 9:45 with all the scenarios (flight coming in late, traffic, luggage, etc) how much time would you allocate for the transfer and if so is the direct bus the way to go?
Conservative case (based on your on time assumption): you'll be on a bus by 11am and arrive at Hongqiao before noon. Given that, I'd be comfortable booking the 12:55pm flight (ZH). But, the 1:30pm flight (MU), in addition to providing a bit more breathing room, is really cheap (Y470).

Again, if I were in your shoes, I'd still probably plan on hanging out at the Ramada rather than brave Hongqiao, but if I were to do the bus thing, I'd go with one of the aforementioned flights.

pred02 Nov 11, 2009 6:54 am

Again, if I were in your shoes, I'd still probably plan on hanging out at the Ramada rather than brave Hongqiao, but if I were to do the bus thing, I'd go with one of the aforementioned flights.
I don't have any Ramada points or status, can I just go there for free? It's going to be a long flight from Moscow just don't want to be passed out on a seat idle :)

Thanks!

moondog Nov 11, 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by pred02 (Post 12805209)
I don't have any Ramada points or status, can I just go there for free? It's going to be a long flight from Moscow just don't want to be passed out on a seat idle :)

Thanks!

I've never gone there myself, but I priced it out a few years ago (and reported on FT). IIRC, one could expect to pay around $60 for gym/massage/lunch (no need to go for all 3 pleasures, of course).

pred02 Nov 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Need a little excitement so I booked myself:

Shanghai-Shenzhen
Departure flight: FM9375 (Shanghai Airlines)
Departure date: 2009-12-3
Departure time: 14:30:00
Class: Economy class
No. of tickets: 1

I arrive 9:45 and hopefully that will be enough time to pass customs, get luggage, go to connecting shuttle to SHA, get there, pick up Ctrip ticket, check in, and even grab some food...

ghfatw Dec 5, 2009 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 12806534)
I've never gone there myself, but I priced it out a few years ago (and reported on FT). IIRC, one could expect to pay around $60 for gym/massage/lunch (no need to go for all 3 pleasures, of course).

Don't forget there are also 2 airport hotels between Terminals 1 and 2 you can go to to relax at - there are not exercise facilities as far as I know though - but you can walk there

mosburger Dec 6, 2009 3:37 am

Originally Posted by ghfatw (Post 12932419)
Don't forget there are also 2 airport hotels between Terminals 1 and 2 you can go to to relax at - there are not exercise facilities as far as I know though - but you can walk there

Those are budget chains with very limited facilities. Not recommended for a stopover if no overnight stay.

House Dec 7, 2009 2:01 am

Originally Posted by mosburger (Post 12934624)
Those are budget chains with very limited facilities. Not recommended for a stopover if no overnight stay.

Could not agree more! Motel168 is not exactly my idea of a fun place to stay...

mosburger Dec 7, 2009 3:18 am

Originally Posted by House (Post 12939441)
Could not agree more! Motel168 is not exactly my idea of a fun place to stay...

...and the two hotels utilize their monopoly status at the terminal by offering an exceptionally bad price/quality ratio.

It's only eight minutes to the Pudong outskirts by Maglev anyway...

pred02 Dec 7, 2009 4:46 am

Did the transfer a couple of days ago and went fine. Took about 30 minutes to walk the terminal, gather luggage, get through customs and passport control then took the number 1 bus which I think it took less than an hour. SHA airport there is tons of things going on and long queues, do recommend getting there earlier but I had plenty of time to spare.

thyeri Sep 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by pred02 (Post 12939731)
Did the transfer a couple of days ago and went fine. Took about 30 minutes to walk the terminal, gather luggage, get through customs and passport control then took the number 1 bus which I think it took less than an hour. SHA airport there is tons of things going on and long queues, do recommend getting there earlier but I had plenty of time to spare.

Hi,

Do you think 3.30h is enough for transferring from PVG to another domestic flight at SHA?
I am arriving at 6.35am from Zurich and I have a flight option at SHA at 10am or 13.35am...

What are the bus options? Is it public transportation or a shuttle bus that only travels between the two airports?