Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weight, volume, and TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Weight, volume, and TSA

They don't even understand their own rules. Passing through ATL this week; never left airside; had to listen to the recorded security announcement multiple times. Over and over I heard the statement "liquids, gels, and aerosols WEIGHING more than three ounces are not allowed..." Whoever made that recording needs to learn the difference between weight and volume. Just another example of how inept they can be. From their very own agency web site;
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Come on TSA Atlanta, get it right if you can; it is VOLUME, not weight.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:34 am

I've been saying that for years!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by med81
They don't even understand their own rules. Passing through ATL this week; never left airside; had to listen to the recorded security announcement multiple times. Over and over I heard the statement "liquids, gels, and aerosols WEIGHING more than three ounces are not allowed..." Whoever made that recording needs to learn the difference between weight and volume. Just another example of how inept they can be. From their very own agency web site;
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

TSA will not even respond to questions of weight versus volume.

3 ounces was changed to 3.4 ounces or 100ml over a year ago yet the website, signage and airport announcements still give travelers wrong information.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA will not even respond to questions of weight versus volume.

3 ounces was changed to 3.4 ounces or 100ml over a year ago yet the website, signage and airport announcements still give travelers wrong information.
Its all so confusing- weight, volume, metric, whatever. The only TSO who really understands it is the one you are currently staring at...
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:10 am

Not only is there no comprehension of the difference between weight and volume, there is no understanding that the rest of the world is metric (or even that the rest of the world exists, for that matter). My conversation with a scientifically challenged TSO who wanted to confiscate my toothpaste:

him: This toothpaste is above the limit.
me: No. Look here - it is 90 g.
him: (nervous about my pointing to the toothpaste) Don't touch it! ... Is 90 g more than 3 oz? (More to himself than to me.)
me: Toothpaste sinks in water, and therefore is more dense. As a result, this toothpaste is under 90 mL. (OK, I should have just said yes, but I tend to like precise answers.)
him: (clearly very confused) I'd better call a supervisor.

After a long talk with the supervisor regarding the density of toothpaste, the fact that it is sold by weight where I live and a swab for trace chemicals (the only one I ever saw done by the TSA), me and my toothpaste were finally cleared to go.

By the way, I am terrible with US-used measurement units, but should it not be 3.4 fluid oz, to differentiate from just oz used for weight??
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would love to hear the TSA definition of a gel.

MisterNice
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Preaching to the Choir

never left airside; had to listen to the recorded security announcement multiple times. Over and over I heard the statement "liquids, gels, and aerosols WEIGHING more than three ounces are not allowed..."
Forgetting you are correct and 100 ml = 3.4 oz, the insanity is this announcement is played airside AFTER security. Everyone hearing it has passed thru a Checkpoint and, assuming TSA does their usual super job , No One hearing the announcement is in violation! If the intention is "training the sheeple" for future flights, those that had nothing confiscated at the checkpoint already know the rules, those that just had their 4 oz. of explosive toothpaste confiscated just learned the rules, so everyone will be compliant on their next trip anyway.

That announcement needs to be made BEFORE the checkpoint ONLY. Perhaps they will add a new category on their Weekly Body Count tally next to Unnecessary Terminal Dumps: Millions of Times Passengers Were Subjected to an Unnecessary Redundant Safety Announcement This Week.

I know, it's TSA, better to hit myself on the head with a hammer as a far more productive use of my time than trying to have them develop common sense.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by MisterNice
I would love to hear the TSA definition of a gel.

MisterNice
That's easy. It's whatever the package says is a gel. The TSO reads the container: "Gel Toothpaste"; "Hair Gel".
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by scoow
That's easy. It's whatever the package says is a gel. The TSO reads the container: "Gel Toothpaste"; "Hair Gel".
Really? EXCELLENT idea: mr. MagicMarker meet ms. OversizedToothpaste now reading "SOLID Toothpaste".....
Old Jan 17, 2009, 8:17 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Blame the US's stupid system of measurement for us not understanding the difference between weight, mass, and volume. You can thank Reagan for that (or was it Carter? T'was before my time.)
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by ralfp
Blame the US's stupid system of measurement for us not understanding the difference between weight, mass, and volume. You can thank Reagan for that (or was it Carter? T'was before my time.)
The metric system was invented before Carter; why would it be his fault that the USA did not implement it?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:31 am

By my favorite source of information by committee, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication, the US shares its regard for the metric system with a few of its favorite countries, ie Liberia and Burma.

Judging from one Mars lander accident, even our best and brightest have a bit of trouble with the conversion, and while Huntsville TSA might have a former rocket scientist or offspring on its staff, the rest of TSA has a pretty good excuse.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
My favorite story was the screener who insisted that 3.0 oz was greater than 3 oz. I think he claimed that the decimal point and "0" added something, somehow.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Reminds me of this:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/a.../t-374882.html
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: Metro/Subway transit card ;-)
I wonder if we can bring plasma? ... its neither a liquid or solid!

Is 3oz of liquid gold considered under the limit? hmmm lets see, that is troy ounces.... how does that convert to liquid ounces?? First, a troy ounce is 480 grains, somewhat heavier than an avoirdupois ounce....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.