FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Weight, volume, and TSA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/911358-weight-volume-tsa.html)

med81 Jan 17, 2009 9:33 am

Weight, volume, and TSA

They don't even understand their own rules. Passing through ATL this week; never left airside; had to listen to the recorded security announcement multiple times. Over and over I heard the statement "liquids, gels, and aerosols WEIGHING more than three ounces are not allowed..." Whoever made that recording needs to learn the difference between weight and volume. Just another example of how inept they can be. From their very own agency web site;
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Come on TSA Atlanta, get it right if you can; it is VOLUME, not weight.

gj83 Jan 17, 2009 9:34 am

I've been saying that for years!

Boggie Dog Jan 17, 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by med81 (Post 11093368)
They don't even understand their own rules. Passing through ATL this week; never left airside; had to listen to the recorded security announcement multiple times. Over and over I heard the statement "liquids, gels, and aerosols WEIGHING more than three ounces are not allowed..." Whoever made that recording needs to learn the difference between weight and volume. Just another example of how inept they can be. From their very own agency web site;
3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

TSA will not even respond to questions of weight versus volume.

3 ounces was changed to 3.4 ounces or 100ml over a year ago yet the website, signage and airport announcements still give travelers wrong information.

IslandBased Jan 17, 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 11093616)
TSA will not even respond to questions of weight versus volume.

3 ounces was changed to 3.4 ounces or 100ml over a year ago yet the website, signage and airport announcements still give travelers wrong information.

Its all so confusing- weight, volume, metric, whatever. The only TSO who really understands it is the one you are currently staring at...:td::td::td:

BubbaLoop Jan 17, 2009 11:10 am

Not only is there no comprehension of the difference between weight and volume, there is no understanding that the rest of the world is metric (or even that the rest of the world exists, for that matter). My conversation with a scientifically challenged TSO who wanted to confiscate my toothpaste:

him: This toothpaste is above the limit.
me: No. Look here - it is 90 g.
him: (nervous about my pointing to the toothpaste) Don't touch it! ... Is 90 g more than 3 oz? (More to himself than to me.)
me: Toothpaste sinks in water, and therefore is more dense. As a result, this toothpaste is under 90 mL. (OK, I should have just said yes, but I tend to like precise answers.)
him: (clearly very confused) I'd better call a supervisor.

After a long talk with the supervisor regarding the density of toothpaste, the fact that it is sold by weight where I live and a swab for trace chemicals (the only one I ever saw done by the TSA), me and my toothpaste were finally cleared to go.

By the way, I am terrible with US-used measurement units, but should it not be 3.4 fluid oz, to differentiate from just oz used for weight??

MisterNice Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm

I would love to hear the TSA definition of a gel.

MisterNice

Flaflyer Jan 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Preaching to the Choir

never left airside; had to listen to the recorded security announcement multiple times. Over and over I heard the statement "liquids, gels, and aerosols WEIGHING more than three ounces are not allowed..."

Forgetting you are correct and 100 ml = 3.4 oz, the insanity is this announcement is played airside AFTER security. Everyone hearing it has passed thru a Checkpoint and, assuming TSA does their usual super job ;), No One hearing the announcement is in violation! If the intention is "training the sheeple" for future flights, those that had nothing confiscated at the checkpoint already know the rules, those that just had their 4 oz. of explosive toothpaste confiscated just learned the rules, so everyone will be compliant on their next trip anyway.

That announcement needs to be made BEFORE the checkpoint ONLY. Perhaps they will add a new category on their Weekly Body Count tally next to Unnecessary Terminal Dumps: Millions of Times Passengers Were Subjected to an Unnecessary Redundant Safety Announcement This Week. :td:

I know, it's TSA, better to hit myself on the head with a hammer as a far more productive use of my time than trying to have them develop common sense. ;)

scoow Jan 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice (Post 11093972)
I would love to hear the TSA definition of a gel.

MisterNice

That's easy. It's whatever the package says is a gel. The TSO reads the container: "Gel Toothpaste"; "Hair Gel".

voop Jan 17, 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by scoow (Post 11094869)
That's easy. It's whatever the package says is a gel. The TSO reads the container: "Gel Toothpaste"; "Hair Gel".

Really? EXCELLENT idea: mr. MagicMarker meet ms. OversizedToothpaste now reading "SOLID Toothpaste".....

ralfp Jan 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Blame the US's stupid system of measurement for us not understanding the difference between weight, mass, and volume. You can thank Reagan for that (or was it Carter? T'was before my time.)

mre5765 Jan 18, 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by ralfp (Post 11095630)
Blame the US's stupid system of measurement for us not understanding the difference between weight, mass, and volume. You can thank Reagan for that (or was it Carter? T'was before my time.)

The metric system was invented before Carter; why would it be his fault that the USA did not implement it?

IslandBased Jan 18, 2009 7:31 am

By my favorite source of information by committee, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication, the US shares its regard for the metric system with a few of its favorite countries, ie Liberia and Burma.

Judging from one Mars lander accident, even our best and brightest have a bit of trouble with the conversion, and while Huntsville TSA might have a former rocket scientist or offspring on its staff, the rest of TSA has a pretty good excuse.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RadioGirl Jan 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 11093616)

My favorite story was the screener who insisted that 3.0 oz was greater than 3 oz. I think he claimed that the decimal point and "0" added something, somehow. :rolleyes:

amlothi Jan 18, 2009 5:00 pm

Reminds me of this:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/a.../t-374882.html

Aubie_NoFlyNoMore Jan 18, 2009 6:00 pm

I wonder if we can bring plasma? :rolleyes: ... its neither a liquid or solid!

Is 3oz of liquid gold considered under the limit? hmmm lets see, that is troy ounces.... how does that convert to liquid ounces?? First, a troy ounce is 480 grains, somewhat heavier than an avoirdupois ounce.... :D