Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Praying passenger is removed from plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Can't believe a JFK based crew would do this. Must have been a non NY crew; because New Yorkers seem to understand each other religionwise (just my opinion and 2 cents).

Then again, when an Orthodox person makes up his mind about something...
i'll add a hockey puck to your 2 cents as well and are you insinuating that orthodox jews* can be "just a tad stubborn"

*goalie- = jewish but far from orthodox
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The article indicates that the incident took place while boarding, which means the door was still open. If that was the case, this was a major overreaction by the flight crew that certainly would not have happened if it had just been a guy chatting on a cell phone. No, it wouldn't be antisemitism. More somebody overreacting because they saw a guy praying on a plane.

As we all know, however, the media can leave out details that it considers unimportant but actually are relevant. My guess is that they had finished boarding, shut the door and were ready to go, but the gentleman was not done praying.

And since I wasn't there, I will gladly state that this is all pure speculation on my part.

Mike
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:07 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
What if the guy were a young, swarthy-looking middle-eastern man (or better yet, 2 or 3 of them) praying to Allah in Arabic and refusing to move when asked?

I wonder how this discussion (not to mention the original "news" report) would be different.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
No, he does not decide when it's time to pray. The sun does that by going up or going down. Indeed, on transatlantic flights there can be more than one sunrise or sunset in a particular day, requiring that the prayers be repeated.
The article says "night" and other postings say that the flight left 4 minutes late at 9:19pm - about 1h40m after local sunset.

Think the guy was being bolshie
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by alanR
The article says "night" and other postings say that the flight left 4 minutes late at 9:19pm - about 1h40m after local sunset.

In that case, somebody much more religious than I am would have to explain why -- if there was any valid reason at all -- that he had to pray at that time.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
I'm personally not a big fan of religion, simply a personal choice.

However, I am a big fan of religious freedom...something this country was built upon.
Actually - it is more accurate to say 'freedom from religion' (as in no state religion/seperation of church and state, etc.).
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by goalie
i'll add a hockey puck to your 2 cents as well and are you insinuating that orthodox jews* can be "just a tad stubborn"

*goalie- = jewish but far from orthodox
ditto here, ultra-reform. i went to a temple growing up that only had services every other week...

the situation seems weird to me, as i said earlier. i'd be interested to hear it from someone on the plane, because right now there seem to be a lot of questions from all of us

to the person who said he was trying to provoke a reaction, i don't know where that came from...on what basis was this?

and to the person who said something about if it were three arab men, unfortunately, the situation would've been a lot different
Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by sammy0623
and to the person who said something about if it were three arab men, unfortunately, the situation would've been a lot different
Actually, no, the situation on the plane would have been identical; that's the premise of my question. The reaction of the parties involved, from the FAs to the media to FTers, would have been different.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Dovster
In that case, somebody much more religious than I am would have to explain why -- if there was any valid reason at all -- that he had to pray at that time.

Hmm -- he prayed, the plane didn't crash. Seems valid enough to me.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG

Think the guy was being bolshie
May be he was praying for a safe travel or flight. Some people ( no matter which religion they follow) will pray before they do something. He wanted to be discreet thus praying at the back instead of doing it whilst sitting - so that his seat mates won't be alarmed (or paranoid like the mishap in YUL awhile ago)
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dodo
May be he was praying for a safe travel or flight. Some people ( no matter which religion they follow) will pray before they do something. He wanted to be discreet thus praying at the back instead of doing it whilst sitting - so that his seat mates won't be alarmed (or paranoid like the mishap in YUL awhile ago)
a valid comment and fwiw, i have traveled with the following prayer** in both english and hebrew in my briefcase for almost 10 years (and it was quite the trip when i ssss'd and they opened my brieface and found it*)

may it be your will, o lord our god and god of our ancestors that you guide our footsteps toward peace and allow us to reach our desired destination for life, gladness and peace. may you rescue us from the hand of every foe and from all manner of troubles that occur in the world. bless the work of our hands and grant us grace, kindness and mercy in your eyes and in the eyes of all who encounter us. hear our applications for you are a god who hears prayer and supplication. praised are you, o lord, the one who hears prayer.

*what happened when the screener looked at the prayer

tsa: (in a very firm voice) "ok, what language is that?"
me: (being a pita on purpose) don't you know?
tsa: "what language is that?"
me: if you don't know, then maybe you should do some research as it's the same that's on the medallion around my neck that you just looked at when it alarmed your hand wand
tsa: d-y-w-t-f-t?
me: yes and i am going to fly today. if you can't tell that hebrew and arabic are different languages, please get your supervisor.

**who says goalies aren't superstitious?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by dodo
Which goes back to my original question of why didn't he do it earlier - unless one has God Like Powers, the certainty is that you will have LOTS of time to do things at airports

It also gets back to the other question - what would you have thought if it had been a young Muslim doing that discreetly at the back of the plane.

I suspect "discreetly" would have been considered to be "suspicious behaviour" and a lot more than just being ejected by cabin staff would have happened.*

* Suggestion for TV news / newspaper, the results should be interesting
Old Apr 20, 2008, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Which goes back to my original question of why didn't he do it earlier - unless one has God Like Powers, the certainty is that you will have LOTS of time to do things at airports
I don't know whether you have noticed it or not but some people will pray only when they are actually going to travel - whether it is on a bus/train/plane/car -and whether they are frequent flyers or the 2/3 flights per yr pax. I have been flying since 1989 and I have seen all types - religious ones as well as the nervous ones. Like one will pray or say grace just before eating.
It also gets back to the other question - what would you have thought if it had been a young Muslim doing that discreetly at the back of the plane.
I know how the pax/authorities/ airline personnel and some of the FTers would have reacted - send him to Gitmo BTW he does not have to be a Muslim - just the looks or skin colour or the perception of being Arabic would have made some people cry foul though some can't differentiate a Muslim from a Sikh man wearing a turban or believe that all Arabs are Muslims, let alone that there are secular Muslims and there are Muslims who are scared of flying like other nervous pax from other religions. Remember the Kafkaesque reaction of some after the Minneapolis ejection of the six imams (one was blind btw and the fact that 3 needed seatbelt extensions were deemed to be suspicious - as if overweight pax on the planes are quasi non-existent since 2001)
I suspect "discreetly" would have been considered to be "suspicious behaviour" and a lot more than just being ejected by cabin staff would have happened.*
Depends on the continent one is flying from and we would have been subjected to an "in-depth story" of 2 mins on some networks, ad-nauseaum biased breaking news on the usual cable networks and right-wing talkshow bigots would see an increase in their listening audience

* Suggestion for TV news / newspaper, the results should be interesting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.