Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase an offensive weapon airside!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Purchase an offensive weapon airside!

Think for a minute what the reaction of the TSA would be if you were to turn up at security carrying a large (3 - 4 ft) long piece of wood, about the diameter of a baseball bat.

Now go to ABQ, get airside and you can buy something exactly like that in one of the shops there. It was officially some fake artifact, but it was the perfect size and shape for hitting people with, and had sufficient heft to cause some damage.

Of course it isn't as dangerous as the 120ml bottle of contact lens solution that was confiscated from me in the UK last week.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:52 am

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
A good friend brought a cricket bat back from Sydney (pre-911) and nobody cared (Singapore, London) until he went through security at JFK.

What kind of artefact?

In any case, bottle of vodka, rag, pack of matches from the cigar store - molotov cocktail.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:32 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Heh heh, I once flew from the Philippines to the US with FOUR MACHETES in my carry-on bags.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:35 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by thegingerman
Heh heh, I once flew from the Philippines to the US with FOUR MACHETES in my carry-on bags.
I'd be a-ok with you being able to do that today. Machetes and other edged weapons are no longer credible weapons with which to hijack an airplane.

Only true cowards fear edged weapons airside.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
I'd be a-ok with you being able to do that today. Machetes and other edged weapons are no longer credible weapons with which to hijack an airplane.

Only true cowards fear edged weapons airside.
I would disagree with the first statement as people have been killed with edged weapons on aircraft.

As far as the second statement goes fear is no indication of cowardice.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
In any case, bottle of vodka, rag, pack of matches from the cigar store - molotov cocktail.
The alcohol content of vodka is not enough to sustain a fire.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by muddy
I would disagree with the first statement as people have been killed with edged weapons on aircraft.

As far as the second statement goes fear is no indication of cowardice.
People can be killed with others' bare hands. However, no one is going to hijack an airplane bare-handed and no one is going to hijack an airplane with edged weapons.

Coward = one who shows disgraceful fear or timidity (www.m-w.com)

People who fear knives or other edged weapons on airplanes should stay home instead of imposing their irrational fears on others.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by eyecue
The alcohol content of vodka is not enough to sustain a fire.
Absolute alcohol will nicely sustain a fire and the x-ray can't distinguish 80 proof alcohol from 190-200 proof alcohol.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:09 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by thegingerman
Obviously, al long as you took your shoes off and you only had liquids in small amounts they were no threat whasoever.

--PP
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:14 am

People can be killed with others' bare hands. However, no one is going to hijack an airplane bare-handed and no one is going to hijack an airplane with edged weapons.

Coward = one who shows disgraceful fear or timidity (www.m-w.com)

People who fear knives or other edged weapons on airplanes should stay home instead of imposing their irrational fears on others.
I see the point you are trying to make, but I still think it's exagerated. Think about it sensibly: should my grandmother stay at home just because she's fearful of people walking around the cabin with machetes hanging off their belt?

courage and cowardice are all about facing your fears ...no matter what m-w.com says and fear of an edged weapon isnt a disgraceful fear.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:17 am

I see the point you are trying to make, but I still think it's exagerated. Think about it sensibly: should my grandmother stay at home just because she's fearful of people walking around the cabin with machetes hanging off their belt?

courage and cowardice are all about facing your fears ...no matter what m-w.com says and fear of an edged weapon isnt a disgraceful fear.
Put it into perspective.

When you go to the mall, there are several stores selling these so-called weapons. Nobody seems to mind then. Why do people mess themselves about such items being airside at an airport? Because they are too stupid to do some critical thinking and realize that such items are no more a threat airside than they are landside.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:26 am

Put it into perspective.

When you go to the mall, there are several stores selling these so-called weapons. Nobody seems to mind then. Why do people mess themselves about such items being airside at an airport? Because they are too stupid to do some critical thinking and realize that such items are no more a threat airside than they are landside.
I don't agree with your "critical thinking" ... Guns are sold at Walmart ... so should we allow the general public to carry guns on planes?

people are going to disagree with you, by the way ... it doesnt make them stupid or less of a "critical thinker" than you.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:34 am
cpx

Programs: Many
I wouldnt be surprised. Lot of the things found at the airport (airside)
that are more dangerous.
things like the posts/poles they use to manage the queues at the gate.
They are not bolted in.. and anybody could pick them up and move.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:35 am

I don't agree with your "critical thinking" ... Guns are sold at Walmart ... so should we allow the general public to carry guns on planes?

people are going to disagree with you, by the way ... it doesnt make them stupid or less of a "critical thinker" than you.
People don't get to pick up a loaded gun at the Wal-Mart display counter and go for a walk with it.

Knives are everywhere. They cannot be used to hijack a plane. A gun can still be used to hijack or crash a plane. That's the difference between a credible and a non-credible threat.

Disagreement is fine. Disagreement without thinking definitely makes one less of a critical thinker and repeatedly making decisions without thinking about them pushes one into the "stupid zone".
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:41 am

Programs: TSA
Absolute alcohol will nicely sustain a fire and the x-ray can't distinguish 80 proof alcohol from 190-200 proof alcohol.
yes ethanol will catch fire but 80 proof vodka is 40% alcohol and that wont sustain a fire. Bacardi 151 and Everclear are not allowed. But rubbing alcohol is! Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.