Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I don't get it... the ziplock bags that is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:58 am
par
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold

I used search but couldn't find the answer.

How does these ziplock bags improve security?

I came off a LH flight from kazakhstan yesterday in frankfurt. As i passed the checkpoint for the UA flight from FRA to SFO i was informed that any liquids had to be placed in a ziplock bag (i've been travelling in eurasia for the past three weeks).

I only had the amenity kit from LH which is a small lotion, a small lip balm and a small toothpaste (basically one time use only). I had it in my carry-on and it was the stuff from the previous flight. the staff at the checkpoint told me that the US requires that these three items are placed in a ziplock bag.

here is my question. How does this improve security? i mean, why not just require the items to be taken out and placed in the bin, why require a ziplock bag? Are they trying to limit quantity by requiring a ziplock bag or is there something else going on? It seems like restricting quantity can be done easier by just stating an absolute maximimum quantity.

Is the ziplock bag idea based on sound science or just someones silly idea?

It sort of reminds me of when the government informed the citizens that it would be good to fill up the bathtubs with water prior to the millenium change or when they told us that we should store duct tape at home in case we where attacked and needed to hermetically seal our homes...
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It is all about administrative convenience and form over substance.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: TSA Platinum
Good question OP. Let us know when you find a valid answer. I don't think any of us can right now, except that maybe writing words on the ziplock bag may get you detained...
Old Oct 1, 2006, 11:11 am
cpx

Programs: Many
It has nothing to do with the security.. but they think making
passengers go through ridiculous procedure.. would make it look like
they are doing a good job
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'll take a stab at this

The "ziplocking" part would be a sort of "seal" so that nothing "extra" is added. The clearness of the bag is so that they can "determine" the size of conatainers without actually handling the goods directly. The reason for the 3 oz is so that folks who need several different products (toothpaste, mascara, shampoo, conditioner, gel, etc.) can have at least a couple of days' availability when their checked bags go missing. At least that's the best I can come up with. REMINDER - that's my "take" of it and absolutely, positively NOT an endorsement of this rediculousness!

I'm still waiting for a explanation of how the X Ray can "determine some things" about these substances enough to make us any "safer"? Could explosives "look" that different? I'm really, really having a tough time believing that!

The quart size is because the next standard size is a gallon.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The reason for the bag is that they can then regulate and allow small quantities of newly-proscribed materials through the checkpoint. It all has to fit within one small plastic bag. Screeners don't have to use any amount of judgement at all to determine whether stuff fits. Some places seem to have been reasonable, like allowing in one or two items with no plastic bag. Others demand you have a bag and confiscate your stuff (even a single item) if you don't have one.

Just think of this as yet another scene in the ever-increasing Kabuki Security Theatre.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The "ziplocking" part would be a sort of "seal"
But won't that stop the explosive sniffers from detecting explosives put in the bag?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alanR
But won't that stop the explosive sniffers from detecting explosives put in the bag?
There's a hole in security!
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:11 pm
par
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
There's a hole in security!
err... I love the ironi of seeing the words "seal" and "hole" used to contradict each other.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 3:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Someone, somewhere must have determined that if you have more than 1qt of explosive liquid, you could take out a plane. Therefore, if it all fits in a 1qt bag, its not enough to take it down. Its alot easier/quicker to see stuff in a qt bag, rather than having to add up the size of each bottle to see if its a quart.

That's the only logical thing I could come up with.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by goaliemn
Someone, somewhere must have determined that if you have more than 1qt of explosive liquid, you could take out a plane. Therefore, if it all fits in a 1qt bag, its not enough to take it down. Its alot easier/quicker to see stuff in a qt bag, rather than having to add up the size of each bottle to see if its a quart.

That's the only logical thing I could come up with.
That is the explanation one of our TSA regulars has put forth, yes.

A cellful of Jihadists, each with a few fake-toiletries bottle-ettes makes more than a quart of nastiness, no?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:57 am

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Personally, I think there's something about ziplock baggies that they're not telling us, and it makes me very suspicious.

Just what are they made of? How much explosive force can they contain? Does this explain why they don't ever degrade in landfills? How can I be assured that their massive power to overcome destructive force won't be turned against me?

Are these things safe to have in my kitchen?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
For the sake of discussion, let's assume the liquids limitations make sense. In that case, the baggie helps move things along in the security line.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:57 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the last several days, I passed through security in lga and las--both of these had a supply of zip(top)-lock bags to provide a pax who had none.
I placed a zip bag with toothpaste (1 oz) and triple anti-biotic ointment (also 1 oz) in the scanning bin, I doubt that this was detectible by the scanner and so was not really seen. [From my reading of the tsa rules, these (non-liquid items) did not have to be placed in a zip bag and could have been carried in my carry-on--but I wanted to play it safe.]
Even if one placed items which required a zip bag in ones luggage, this only becomes an issue if the do a secondary inspection of carry-ons.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by alanR
Carry on bags do not go thru explosive detection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.