Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by ND Sol
That is the Gilmore case. The federal government has stated in that case that you can fly without ID, but you will be subject to additional screening. Part of a project by Bill Scann (I believe) and that organization to provide the experiences when you do this to see if the government is correct in its assertions.
Okay, so say I try this in IND. What's likely to happen to me if I do? What can I expect? Maybe Bart can weigh in on this?

GG
Old Oct 6, 2006, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Okay, so say I try this in IND. What's likely to happen to me if I do? What can I expect? Maybe Bart can weigh in on this?
"According to the TSA, in the 9th Circuit Case of John Gilmore, you are allowed to fly without showing ID -- you'll just have to submit yourself to secondary screening." Read more here about some tips.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
"According to the TSA, in the 9th Circuit Case of John Gilmore, you are allowed to fly without showing ID -- you'll just have to submit yourself to secondary screening." Read more here about some tips.
I believe the Gilmore case was filed and heard on the basis of a single ID check. That single check was done during check-in with the airline; the (non-TSA) ID patrol prior to the screening checkpoint was not specifically addressed as it did not exist at the time (again, IIRC). Failing to show ID to the airline at check-in got you designated as a 'selectee' or SSSS.

I don't know what the procedure is supposed to be if you show ID at check-in but not to the patrol(sic); but I'm quite sure the actual implementation will vary from airport to airport or even hour to hour. Given IND's surly reputation, I wouldn't like to say what you'd experience. Likely not pleasant, but you Go Girl - we're behind you (posted from the comfort of my den ).
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:07 am
ob1

Programs: United GS
Thasnk god there are people like you brave enough to stand up to this stuff..... it is truly ridiculous
Old Oct 6, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
So essentially if you don't give them id, you're giving them license to put their grubby hands all over your belongings. As much as I hate the process and requirement, I'd rather wave my license than walk in there with the expectation their be touching my belongings.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:14 am

Just an idea

Next time one of us is asked on prime time TV: "What would you do with a million dollars?" (ok, it doesn't happen that often, but I bet one of this thread readers will end up on "deal or no deal" sooner than later), he or she should answer:

"I would buy out TSA, change their "idiotic" policies, and make sure they do a proper job from now on".
Old Oct 6, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: Worldperks Silver Elite
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I believe the Gilmore case was filed and heard on the basis of a single ID check. That single check was done during check-in with the airline; the (non-TSA) ID patrol prior to the screening checkpoint was not specifically addressed as it did not exist at the time (again, IIRC). Failing to show ID to the airline at check-in got you designated as a 'selectee' or SSSS.
Actually, you cannot refuse to show ID to the airlines. It's part of the contract of carriage. If you do not have ID, then you are not refusing to show it. As a matter of law, there is a difference between being unable to do something and refusing to do that thing.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:25 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
xanthuos, I think I've been so conditioned to provide my ID that I actually feel a little scared to try this. Given how surly the IND TSA is, I'm afraid I'd have quite a bit of trouble getting through. You really can do this? Have others done this?

GG
Well, if it got down to them refusing to let you fly without ID, just decide whether or not you'd be willing to submit (since you apparently have ID anyway). So far, I haven't been presented with a situation where they refused to let me fly without ID (and without undergoing a SSSS). Then again, I only fly for pleasure and not every week or ever few days for business, so I haven't had that many opportunities to test the idea. If it came up, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to submit and show ID just to be able to fly. I guess it depends on my mood that day.
Given the apparent surly attitude of IND TSA, they might give you a hard time. They might even refuse to let you fly without ID. The worst that can happen is that, and worse case scenario, you show them your ID and you're on your way - something you've done (and I previously did) numerous times. It'd be business as usual, though probably accompanied with rude comments and/or dirty looks.

Originally Posted by Wally Bird

I don't know what the procedure is supposed to be if you show ID at check-in but not to the patrol(sic); but I'm quite sure the actual implementation will vary from airport to airport or even hour to hour. Given IND's surly reputation, I wouldn't like to say what you'd experience. Likely not pleasant, but you Go Girl - we're behind you (posted from the comfort of my den ).
I did not know this, and this actually interests me. I'm going to have to look further into this. I'm happy to show ID to the airline as it is a private entity, and not the same as the government having control over whether I can travel freely in my own country. I am using a private means of conveyance (the airline - even though they've gotten enough bailouts from the government to practically be federalized), and as such, I am willing to comply with the private entity's request(s).

I wonder if I could marshal the resources to do this - check in with the airline, show ID to the airline, but then refuse to show ID to the TSA (and also refuse to have the airline stamp my BP as "No ID" as they did in MDW, since I'm willing to show them ID). I suppose they'd demand I undergo a secondary screening, but then at least it is the government requiring it and not the "airline" (by noting on my BP that I do not have ID, when in fact, I show the airline ID).

Originally Posted by GoingAway
So essentially if you don't give them id, you're giving them license to put their grubby hands all over your belongings. As much as I hate the process and requirement, I'd rather wave my license than walk in there with the expectation their be touching my belongings.
"Please put on a new set of gloves."
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Not that I'm not interested in flying without ID, because I totally am interested and have been reading about it on the links that have been posted, as well as mulling it over in my head, pondering what my true feelings are, blah blah blah...

BUT, we digress, my friends. Let us return to the OP discussion at hand, so that I may inquire:
HAS ANYONE TRAVELED WITH CREATIVE FREEDOM BAGS RECENTLY?

If so, what did you write on yours and what was the result?

GG
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
]HAS ANYONE TRAVELED WITH CREATIVE FREEDOM BAGS RECENTLY?

If so, what did you write on yours and what was the result?

GG
I haven't traveled with my Freedom Bag yet. When I do I think I will go with the original KHIAI.

But my burning question has been "GG, do you have your micro-mini toiletries in a Freedom Bag and what does it say?"
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't have any trips scheduled yet but am gearing up for a status run. In preparation, I bought some quart-sized no-brand bags and one of those tiny toothpaste tubes (my normal travel-size toothpaste is unfortunately 4.25 oz... although being in plastic rather than a metal tube, I could just carry it in my pocket...)

I intend to put my sig's message on the bag: yes, my dog is smarter than Kip Hawley.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
The original Kip Hawley is an Idiot bag went though security for the 4th time today, this time in MCI. MCI uses private contacted employees to staff checkpoints and I doubt they even know who Kip Hawley is.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by MKEbound
The original Kip Hawley is an Idiot bag went though security for the 4th time today, this time in MCI. MCI uses private contacted employees to staff checkpoints and I doubt they even know who Kip Hawley is.
I would hazard a guess that many TSA employees do not know who Kip Hawley is.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Just so I understand....

Two weeks, national media coverage, 180,000 views...

And about 600 people care enough to vote? That's what, the number of people who get screened at a major airport in an hour?

This whole thread is a tempest in a teapot, dedicated to a tiny number of people who actually care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.