FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today
Old Oct 6, 2006, 3:25 pm
xanthuos

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
xanthuos, I think I've been so conditioned to provide my ID that I actually feel a little scared to try this. Given how surly the IND TSA is, I'm afraid I'd have quite a bit of trouble getting through. You really can do this? Have others done this?

GG
Well, if it got down to them refusing to let you fly without ID, just decide whether or not you'd be willing to submit (since you apparently have ID anyway). So far, I haven't been presented with a situation where they refused to let me fly without ID (and without undergoing a SSSS). Then again, I only fly for pleasure and not every week or ever few days for business, so I haven't had that many opportunities to test the idea. If it came up, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to submit and show ID just to be able to fly. I guess it depends on my mood that day.
Given the apparent surly attitude of IND TSA, they might give you a hard time. They might even refuse to let you fly without ID. The worst that can happen is that, and worse case scenario, you show them your ID and you're on your way - something you've done (and I previously did) numerous times. It'd be business as usual, though probably accompanied with rude comments and/or dirty looks.

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I believe the Gilmore case was filed and heard on the basis of a single ID check. That single check was done during check-in with the airline; the (non-TSA) ID patrol prior to the screening checkpoint was not specifically addressed as it did not exist at the time (again, IIRC). Failing to show ID to the airline at check-in got you designated as a 'selectee' or SSSS.

I don't know what the procedure is supposed to be if you show ID at check-in but not to the patrol(sic); but I'm quite sure the actual implementation will vary from airport to airport or even hour to hour. Given IND's surly reputation, I wouldn't like to say what you'd experience. Likely not pleasant, but you Go Girl - we're behind you (posted from the comfort of my den ).
I did not know this, and this actually interests me. I'm going to have to look further into this. I'm happy to show ID to the airline as it is a private entity, and not the same as the government having control over whether I can travel freely in my own country. I am using a private means of conveyance (the airline - even though they've gotten enough bailouts from the government to practically be federalized), and as such, I am willing to comply with the private entity's request(s).

I wonder if I could marshal the resources to do this - check in with the airline, show ID to the airline, but then refuse to show ID to the TSA (and also refuse to have the airline stamp my BP as "No ID" as they did in MDW, since I'm willing to show them ID). I suppose they'd demand I undergo a secondary screening, but then at least it is the government requiring it and not the "airline" (by noting on my BP that I do not have ID, when in fact, I show the airline ID).

Originally Posted by GoingAway
So essentially if you don't give them id, you're giving them license to put their grubby hands all over your belongings. As much as I hate the process and requirement, I'd rather wave my license than walk in there with the expectation their be touching my belongings.
"Please put on a new set of gloves."