Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA to allow sterile zone water on board

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
TSA to allow sterile zone water on board

TSA is supposed to have a press conference at 10:00 today at DCA to announce that liquids purchased in the sterile zone will be allowed on board.

I guess Hudson News stores bottom lines were really hurting, so they put the squeeze on the TSA.

I wonder if this means we can fill our empty bottles in the water fountains after clearing security? That water is more likely to be safe than the unscreened store bought stuff.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
That water is more likely to be safe than the unscreened store bought stuff.
Agreed - you might end up buying a bottle of explosives that was smuggled through security without being checked!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gargoyle is right, Hudson News (and Duty Free stores) barked loud enough. This partial repeal proves Spiff was right awhle ago; not purchasing items at airports is an effective method of protest.

Now liquids that are purchased in the "sterile" area are deemed safe. How do those products make their way into the "sterile" area? Don't those products get the same treatment as our own liquids would? What's the difference here?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
From the Boston Globe website:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa..._on_airliners/

What is the point of the 'put the lip gloss in a plastic bag & return to the passenger'? Is this like the mattress tag thing? Fed'l offense if removed prior to arrival @ the destination? Wonder how much TSA will over pay for the baggies, too?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:16 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Starwood Gold; BA Blue; VS Red; DL; US; CO; NW
According to WTOP radio here in DC, some level of stuff brought to the airport will be allowed if you put it in a separate bag for screening. It's not clear exactly what, though. I hope they clarify it before Saturday morning. I was going to buy toothpaste and such down in Cozumel and would rather not have to think about it.

The presser is at 11:00 rather than 10:00 according to this link.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=116&sid=923328
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Advantage (Platinum)
So they're making the announcement today - does that mean this is effective immediately? And with this "plastic bag" thing, it will be interesting to see what's included - i.e. makeup and hair products; or just small things like hand lotion and lip gloss. I will be ecstatic if it includes all banned liquids, as I'm flying on Wednesday and am not enthused about being forced to check my bag because of this ridiculous ban.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
The presser is at 11:00 rather than 10:00 according to this link.
Thanks for the correction. The radio this morning said 10:00 a.m., but being a Chicago station they would have been using central time.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:22 am

From the AP

New procedures also were being announced for products like lip gloss and hand lotion that passengers bring to the airport. Previously, those liquids have been confiscated at security checkpoints. Now, the official said, those products will be put in clear plastic bags at the checkpoint, screened and returned to the passenger if they pass screening.

So they can still toss things they deem "unacceptable".
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
This seems like a step in the right direction.

Still not quite sure I understand the point of the whole plastic bag thing, though. It sounds like the plastic industry lobby must have been hard at work here...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K Marriott T.E. Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LessO2
Gargoyle is right, Hudson News (and Duty Free stores) barked loud enough.
I wonder, how much will the new rules will accomodate the airlines? I have heard a lot of complaints about the increase in checked baggage volume and the labor needed to keep up.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Will this new procedure for thinks like lip gloss include things like toothpaste and shampoo? I hope so!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Will this new procedure for thinks like lip gloss include things like toothpaste and shampoo? I hope so!
And will the shoe carnival still be in town?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
It's about time! Can you imagine how hard this has been on stores that sell primarily personal care products, food, etc, etc?

It will be nice to bring some water on board too!
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FF_Parrothead
I wonder, how much will the new rules will accomodate the airlines? I have heard a lot of complaints about the increase in checked baggage volume and the labor needed to keep up.
Unless they say shampoo, toothpaste and aerosol deodorant can be taken on board again, the relief brought upon to the airlines is minimal at best.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:01 am

I can already see it. Sterile, TSA-approved water. Only $5 per bottle. Funny thing though, I swear the bottles look like the same stuff you could get at Walgreen's for 50 cents or even at a ballgame for $3..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.