Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:04 am
cpx

Programs: Many
this partial ban lift is useless... this is made to put the
airport vendors back in business.. has nothing to do with passenger
convenience/comfort.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Superguy
And will the shoe carnival still be in town?
I don't doubt that it will be
Suspended

Originally Posted by xamsx
From the AP

New procedures also were being announced for products like lip gloss and hand lotion that passengers bring to the airport. Previously, those liquids have been confiscated at security checkpoints. Now, the official said, those products will be put in clear plastic bags at the checkpoint, screened and returned to the passenger if they pass screening.

So they can still toss things they deem "unacceptable".
And how does now putting them in a plastic bag suddenly make these products "screenable"?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Here you go - bring from home - refill at home etc. http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/bag_poster.pdf
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Here's a slightly better link:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/..._guidance.shtm
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I can already see it. Sterile, TSA-approved water. Only $5 per bottle. Funny thing though, I swear the bottles look like the same stuff you could get at Walgreen's for 50 cents or even at a ballgame for $3..
From now on, I will simply take an empty water bottle and fill it at a water fountain in the airport. No more begging the FA "May I please have some water?" or having to consume unsafe water from the tanks on airplanes.

While the new modifications are a step toward the right direction (ending the ban), they need to do more.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
If I am reading that poster right, it has to be a one of those over-priced "zip-top" bags.

And you are only allowed to have 3oz or smaller bottles. Please remind me just what makes a full-size tube of toothpaste so much more dangerous than a travel-size one?

Finally, you are restricted to one quart-sized bag. Those things are tiny!

While better than the total ban, this is still an insanely stupid policy. I think the real reason for not simply eliminating the ban isthat it would make the TSA look like a bunch of idiots for having it in the first place. I imagine (read: hope) that there will be a gradual, further, relaxation of these rules.

Also on the TSA site:

Originally Posted by TSA.gov
After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.
At least I don't see any restrictions on this. Of course, the ironic thing is that, at least according to this, one could purchase a full-sized tube of toothpaste, bottle of shampoo, etc. airside and carry it on board without difficulty. But you can't bring your own...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
From the above TSA link:

It is unlikely that additional changes in the liquid, aerosol and gel policy will be made in the near future.
Also,
Since then, experts from around the government, including the FBI and our national labs have analyzed the information we now have and have conducted extensive explosives testing to get a better understanding of this specific threat.
How much did those "experts" get paid, and how much time did they spend, to figure out what we already knew- that mixing such bombs on board an aircraft is not feasable or effective.

and:
TSA will be enhancing security measures throughout the airport environment
Lovely. BTW, they state that they will begin "screening by observation technique", which means they have never done that until now.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:28 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are pathetic. My stuff is already in one-ounce bottles purchased from a container company in a leakproof quart-sized Eagle Creek zip bag. Now I have to put it in a leaky baggie?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:30 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
These changes are intended to enhance security and balance human needs because we have a better understanding of the threat and security risks associated with liquids, aerosols and gels.
It took 6 weeks to "better understand" that a bottle of water bought in the sterile area posed no threat whatsoever ?

Impressive.

The TSA - Vigilant, Effective, Efficient.

Chortle.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Scifience
If I am reading that poster right, it has to be a one of those over-priced "zip-top" bags.

And you are only allowed to have 3oz or smaller bottles. Please remind me just what makes a full-size tube of toothpaste so much more dangerous than a travel-size one?

Finally, you are restricted to one quart-sized bag. Those things are tiny!

While better than the total ban, this is still an insanely stupid policy. I think the real reason for not simply eliminating the ban isthat it would make the TSA look like a bunch of idiots for having it in the first place. I imagine (read: hope) that there will be a gradual, further, relaxation of these rules.

Also on the TSA site:

At least I don't see any restrictions on this. Of course, the ironic thing is that, at least according to this, one could purchase a full-sized tube of toothpaste, bottle of shampoo, etc. airside and carry it on board without difficulty. But you can't bring your own...
Seems like a de facto admission that there just aren't that many terrorists in the US -- although there are a lot more in the rest of the world than there were before March 2003. Four small bottles or one big bottle, it doesn't much matter -- except in "TSA logic".

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
From the above TSA link:
It is unlikely that additional changes in the liquid, aerosol and gel policy will be made in the near future.
Also,

Since then, experts from around the government, including the FBI and our national labs have analyzed the information we now have and have conducted extensive explosives testing to get a better understanding of this specific threat.
How much did those "experts" get paid, and how much time did they spend, to figure out what we already knew- that mixing such bombs on board an aircraft is not feasable or effective.

and:

TSA will be enhancing security measures throughout the airport environment
Lovely. BTW, they state that they will begin "screening by observation technique", which means they have never done that until now.
"Screening by observation technique" is a reference to SPOT -- aka an attempt at "profiling".
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:32 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 9:21 am
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:35 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
If it's a quart size plastic bag, then it meets the criteria. Brand names don't matter.
It's plastic but not clear:
http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessorie...c-Small-40085/
So do I have to put stuff in a baggie inside it and then pull it out for screening?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Well, when one clicks on the 'Female Business Traveler' link, you actually see a MALE business traveler going, e v e r s o s l o w l y t h r u t h e c h e c k p o i n t, so I guess that must also be a new recommendation-females dress as males??
Old Sep 25, 2006, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Yes is has to be zip-top

Supposedly it does have to be zip-top - not just any quart plastic bag - i guess so it can be easily opened and closed with gloves on.... There are two brand names that make it and it is also available in generic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.