Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Off-Duty Police Officers Permitted to be Armed with Guns on Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off-Duty Police Officers Permitted to be Armed with Guns on Flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Slam away all you want but if armed citizens or pilots had been on board those planes 9/11 would not have happened.
So do you actually believe that, or do you just like to regurgitate common thoughts without backup?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:27 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by justageek
If FAMs, who are trained specifically about identifying human threats on airplanes and responding appropriately, make mistakes like killing the guy in the jetway at MIA
No mistake was made, as was indicated in the final report. The FAMs acted correctly according to protocol given the situation and the information they had (a man claiming to have a bomb reaching into a bag).
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by J-M
No mistake was made, as was indicated in the final report. The FAMs acted correctly according to protocol given the situation and the information they had (a man claiming to have a bomb reaching into a bag).
Is that report available somewhere on the internet?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
An armed off-duty law enforcement officer carrying a gun is called a "LEO"...

Most of them are off-duty FBI, ATF and local police officers who have had threats upon their lives and they carry the gun for personal protection reasons.

It has been happening for years. They always preboard and have to chat with the Captain.

They have to have an official letter for EACH flight they take from their superior as well as airline and TSA paperwork. They cannot just show a badge and board a plane with a gun.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Is that report available somewhere on the internet?
http://www.miamisao.com/publications...alshooting.pdf

Warning: Graphic photos of deceased included. The human body contains an amazing quantity of blood, especially when perforated by several rounds.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:52 pm

Programs: unemployment
Originally Posted by UMassCanuck07
An armed off-duty law enforcement officer carrying a gun is called a "LEO"...

Most of them are off-duty FBI, ATF and local police officers who have had threats upon their lives and they carry the gun for personal protection reasons.

It has been happening for years. They always preboard and have to chat with the Captain.

They have to have an official letter for EACH flight they take from their superior as well as airline and TSA paperwork. They cannot just show a badge and board a plane with a gun.
All Law Enforcement Officers are called LEO's. Any LEO boarding a plane while being armed has to have permission from their department, and they must log into whichever checkpoint they are going through. They always enter through the exit lane and have to show their credentials before entering. I don't know where you got your info, but its wrong.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Have you seen what American police officers are trained to do if a person refuses to obey their orders and continues to walk toward them? Yes, they are trained to shoot the "belligerent", dead in some cases.

I'm not happy about being on a plane with a policeman who, however well intentioned, could shoot a hole through the fuselage that would suck me out for a 35,000 foot fall lasting a good 3-5 minutes before I splatter myself over Gods clean earth.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by J-M
Actually this proves my point more than anything. The "proper protocol" that they followed didn't give them enough time to realize that the guy did not actually have a bomb.

If the MIA shooting was considered justified, it's hard to imagine any in-cabin shooting that wouldn't also be considered justified.

We're giving the people with guns in the cabin an impossible job--make a split-second decision about whether someone has a bomb. There's more chance of them shooting someone they think has a bomb but doesn't (as in the MIA jetway), than them actually shooting someone with a bomb (has never happened in the entire history of the FAM program). Not to mention that shooting someone with a bomb may not even prevent it from detonating...
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:57 pm

Programs: unemployment
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Have you seen what American police officers are trained to do if a person refuses to obey their orders and continues to walk toward them? Yes, they are trained to shoot the "belligerent", dead in some cases.

I'm not happy about being on a plane with a policeman who, however well intentioned, could shoot a hole through the fuselage that would suck me out for a 35,000 foot fall lasting a good 3-5 minutes before I splatter myself over Gods clean earth.
Although a bullet could damage the fuselage, you would not be sucked out of the plane....you've seen way too many movies.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed.

Of all the possible reasons to oppose firearms on airplanes, this one ain't on the legitimate list. If explosive decompression were a likely result from a firearm round piercing the airplane, then thousands of marshals, postal inspectors, IRS agents, Boder Patrol agents, USDA inspectors and others would not be authorized to carry firearms on board.

As an aside, if you were sucked thru that half-inch hole (you wouldn't be), wouldn't that pretty much liquify you on the way out?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Somebody obviously didn't watch Mythbusters.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Am I crazy, or are the aircraft seating diagrams in the section on witness reports taken from seatguru.com?!?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current security hysteria is over bombs. You really only have a second or two to kill someone who is about to detonate a bomb. That's not enough time to judge whether they're actually a threat. I'm frightened at the prospect of Chief Wiggum, heading to Disney World with his family, shooting up the cabin when he sees someone with darker skin than he's ever seen in his podunk midwest town, because they looked at him funny.
While I agree with your overall point, let's not forget that the midwest has no monopoly on peace officers willing to shoot unarmed subjects for no apparent reason, even when those persons appear to be following the officer's every command:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/15499213.htm

Bad apples can even be found on the enlightened left coast, although there may be a reasonable argument that Chino is a long, lonely drive from the left coast.

Unfortunately, when all you got is a Sig Sauer .357, everything looks like a good shoot. Even when it's just a mentally ill unarmed man.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I crazy, or are the aircraft seating diagrams in the section on witness reports taken from seatguru.com?!?
Nope, you're not crazy - they even contain Seatguru's copyright info.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Slam away all you want but if armed citizens or pilots had been on board those planes 9/11 would not have happened.
I posted in support of armed flight crews maybe 100 times prior to the ultimate passage of the legislation, but I wouldn't go quite that far; I would agree that had the flight crews been armed, and if Mineta had informed the airlines of Moussaui's arrest several weeks earlier and warned them not to automatically assume a hijacking was a relatively benign event then there's a strong possibility that September 11 might have turned out much differently than it did. And if law-abiding pax otherwise eligible to carry handguns had been onboard with firearms, the outcome would probably have been much less tragic.

Dunno if I'd say it would not have happened, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.