Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another absurd overreaction to water bottles by crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another absurd overreaction to water bottles by crew

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bart
Nope. G was dead wrong.
Sorry, but I wasn't asking for your approval. He was right. You are wrong. Period.

Passengers with a bottle of drinking water are not "idiots". The idiots are the bureaucrat who think coming up with these inane rules justifies their otherwise worthless existence. The idiots are the employees, TSA or airline, who blindly follow these rules without exercising the common sense god gave a swamp rat. I'm afraid what JS proposes is what it will take to get the attention of someone in DC with a real understanding of security and how something that important shouldn't be left to "idiots".
Old Sep 7, 2006, 1:02 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
[QUOTE=JS]Here is the way to do it. Smuggle a bottle of water on the plane. During boarding, smuggle it into the lavatory. Pretend to fill an empty bottle with TSA-approved, non-explosive airplane tap water. Return to seat.

Perhaps the bottle smuggled onboard is empty. But totally empty? What if there is even ONE DROP of water left in the bottle? Would that be enough to cause a diversion? Or get the passenger in trouble if it is spotted at the security checkpoint?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by Superguy
Maybe it's just me. If someone had a bottle on my flight and we got diverted, I'd be giving TSA and the airlines an earful, not the pax.
Nope, it's not just you. I would do the same.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:51 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Nope. G was dead wrong. I empathize with the air crews. Some idiot blatantly holds up a bottle of water and the crew are obligated to follow a set of procedures as a result. G dismisses it by saying that following the rules is no excuse (and then is unwilling to defend his point). Well, that's bull and you know it. The air crew probably had no choice in the matter. That's my point.
And *my* point is, the buck has gotta stop somewhere, by someone at some time. Why not by a conscientious flight crew?

Chertley and fusspot pax are running the asylum! They must be stopped.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
If this "threat" is real, every seized water bottle on a plane MUST be assumed to be a real chemical bomb. It must be handled only by trained people, separated from the trash and disposed in a hazardous chemical disposal site. OSHA and EPA do not allow the excuse "We will confiscate 100,000 bottles of water for every bottle of chemical." Not allowed. If the airline believes that even ONE bottle is NOT water, ALL bottles must be treated as NOT WATER.

The fact that they just have untrained FAs toss them in the trash shows me the airline safety people and liability lawyers have determined that there is ZERO chance of confiscting anything other than water.

Joke security. Water bottle style.
A very good point I have not seen before.

It seems that we have now agreed to complete and utter suspension of the rules of logic and belief.

But isn't it the way it goes on the slippery slope? Ban lighters ... everyone knows that they are not harmful, but ... well, fire, ya know. OK. Can't be too safe, after all.

Now contraband water - which as you point out - is being treated as water not as contraband once confiscated.

Cognitive dissonance as policy.

Last edited by Teacher49; Sep 7, 2006 at 5:25 am
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by essxjay
And *my* point is, the buck has gotta stop somewhere, by someone at some time. Why not by a conscientious flight crew?
Too true, essxjay. At what point do employees say, "Hell, no, I won't throw."

What would happen if TSA personnel said, "I quit. It is degrading to me to treat people this way. It is degrading to my intelligence to behave this way. It is degrading to snivel and cower like this over virtually non-existent threats and to degrade my fellow citizens by applying insane procedures."

Granted, it is a far, far cry from a true police state, but it is also a slippery slope when citizens and rule enforcers give up all claim to be treated in a sane manner.

How far down the slope does it become time to say no?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:26 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:19 am
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:43 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Dec 30, 2007 at 8:18 am
Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:45 am
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:46 am
Suspended

Deleted

Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonesing
Now you've done it...some of the extreme security-at-any-cost zealots are going to propose having FAMs carry catheter kits!
"Oooooo! Tingly!" -- Travelocity Roaming Gnome
HAD I been drinking anything when I read this, it would have been spewed all over my keyboard!!!

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
If this "threat" is real, every seized water bottle on a plane MUST be assumed to be a real chemical bomb. It must be handled only by trained people, separated from the trash and disposed in a hazardous chemical disposal site. OSHA and EPA do not allow the excuse "We will confiscate 100,000 bottles of water for every bottle of chemical." Not allowed. If the airline believes that even ONE bottle is NOT water, ALL bottles must be treated as NOT WATER.

The fact that they just have untrained FAs toss them in the trash shows me the airline safety people and liability lawyers have determined that there is ZERO chance of confiscting anything other than water.

Joke security. Water bottle style

Let's not forget the bins & barrels full of 'surrendered' items now found in every airport terminal & @ every checkpoint-if those items are so dangerous, why are they kept around, in plain sight, until the cleaning crew comes by & takes them away, where they are simply dumped into even bigger dumpsters?? Shouldn't the bomb squads be handling the removal of all these 'dangerous' liquids & gels??
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by txrus
Let's not forget the bins & barrels full of 'surrendered' items now found in every airport terminal & @ every checkpoint-if those items are so dangerous, why are they kept around, in plain sight, until the cleaning crew comes by & takes them away, where they are simply dumped into even bigger dumpsters?? Shouldn't the bomb squads be handling the removal of all these 'dangerous' liquids & gels??

Not dumped in bigger dumpsters, but being sold on EBay.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:43 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by doober
Not dumped in bigger dumpsters, but being sold on EBay.
Good point-that, too! I wonder if this means eBay is a front for terrorists?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
To the casual observer, it should be intuitively obvious that we were talking about bottles that were taken aboard aircraft as opposed to those that were given by flight crew. However, do whatever makes you feel comfortable. There are still people in the world who think they will go to jail if they rip the tag off their mattresses.
No need to be snarky. It is well within the bounds of possibility that one
of these less-aware/less-smart observers would mistake one bottle of
water for another!!

--LG
Old Sep 7, 2006, 6:59 am
Suspended

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.