Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Temperature Probe...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

TSA Temperature Probe...

First off, I do not know if this should be under "Trip Report" or under "Travel Security", but since I originally had in mind to write it as a report on the ways different TSA checkpoints apply SOP, I decided to post it here. On a sidenote, I did not intend this to be a "let's see how the goons mess up" or a smartass approach to the issue but more of a "let's deliberately experience first hand how SOP are applied". I never skillfully hid anything nor tried to fool screeners.

The result ? IMHO concluding ! What does that mean ? Bear with me and read along. Up to you to decide if the outcome is interesting, funny, despairing or merely a mirror of what you guys have experienced.

Background
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had planned on visiting some friends in the US, from 20MAY to 09JUN. I do this a couple of times per year and was subjected in the past to the "shoe inconsistencies". However this was the first time after the lighter ban and I was curious to discover how and IF the "no lighter" policy CAN be enforced. I was also curious about how my personal attitude influenced screeners' response.

Carry-on Gear
One roll aboard suitcase containing: spare change of clothes, toiletries in bag, "geek bag" (photographic equipment & tons of cable, chargers, etc.), photo bag, reading material, nail clippers (great for cutting the cable ties I use to "lock" my checked luggage), bottle of wine, cell phone, laptop computer, spare cable ties, cigarettes, matches, lighter (full-sized "Bic").

Travel dress
Slacks, dress shirt, blazer, loafers (top leather, rubber sole (heel & sole = 5/8 inch), no metal hence non-profile).
Disclaimer: dress code was imposed by the airline I have companion passes benefits. As not to discredit neither the employee who sponsored the passes nor the carrier, I was very keen on maintaining at all times a polite, non-threatening and "non-bullying" attitude.

ZRH (Zurich International Airport, Switzerland) - IAD (Washington Dulles International Airport)
Upon passing the customary passport control, I approached the E gates area, where most of the US-bound flights leave from. I removed watch, wallet and cell phone and placed them in my carry-on. Laptop was removed from the latter. Shoes stayed on my feet and the lighter stayed in the pocket of my pants. Screeners (part of the Kantonspolizei Zürich (State police), if I'm not mistaken) checked BP&ID, manned the X-ray and the WTMD. Very friendly Folks, chipper attitude and good-spirited. Passed the WTMD without alerting it. Lil me and fellow lighter were in the sterile area.

IAD (Concourse C: INS, baggage reclaim, CBP, TSA)
For those of you unfamiliar with the procedures one has to go through in order to enter the US (no matter if citizen, resident or alien), here's a short rundown. Upon deplaning, one has to pass the immigration checkpoint (separate lines for citizens/residents and alien). After that, one will collect her/his checked baggage in order to pass Customs. Once this last step cleared, either one exits the airport or surrenders the checked baggage once again, in order to continue the trip to the final destination.

Since I had an onward flight from IAD, I cleared all the above formalities on Concourse C, which entitled surrendering my I-94W form, a couple of questions from the INS agent and a stamp in my passport. Before exiting the international arrivals zone and continue into the domestic area of Concourse C I had to clear, yup, you guessed right: a TSA checkpoint. ID in my back pocket, jacket off, laptop out and...have I forgotten something ? Shoes ? Yup...stayed on. As I approached the WTMD-manning TSA Official, I kindly smiled and waited for his nod to pass the machine. He frowned and strongly suggested me removing my shoes. I lifted one leg of my pants, showing him the profile of one shoe and mentioned it was under 1" thick, contained no metal and that it never alerted. He asked (verbatim) "Ya sure ?" and waived me through the WTMD. No alert and I went my merry way. Apart from a slight frown and a "come on and lemme see" attitude, the TSA Screener ("Dave", if my memory serves me well) was very courteous and professional. No yelling about shoes, laptops, clothing.. TSA Checkpoint in its full, SOP-abiding glory. Oh...my lighter ? Still in my pants' pocket.

Now, for the joys of non-reving: one knows when he's listed, when one arrives at the airport but one never has a total certainty as to the possibility of boarding A flight... nevermind THE flight one hopes on being on ** chuckle **. As it turned out, all flights to my destination on that day, including alternate routings, were fully booked. Hence I decided to book a revenue flight for the next day. Did that on the phone and changed into more comfortable jeans & T-shirt; called a friend living in the district to pick me up and after a nice evening spent watching the newest Star Wars Movie, I crashed for the night at his place.

IAD - DEN
A short but needed night of sleep after my crossing the pond, I donned my travel duds again (see above), put my jeans & T-shirt into the carry on and checked in at the self-service kiosks at IAD. My checked bags had been routed to DEN already and never left the secure area. One way e-ticket, purchased the night before ? Ring a bell ? Yes? SSSS indeed ! After the "tix-checker" stamped my BP and checked my ID, I was on my way to the TSA checkpoint. ID in my back pocket, jacket off, laptop out and shoes stayed on. I passed the WTMD without alerting and while handing my BP to the TSA agent on the other side of the WTMD I smiled and told her "Male assist". She laughed and went "Saw it, been there, huh ?". I answered: "Yup...waiting for you guys to print the T-shirt".

"Chris" came over and went through the secondary screening process in a very thorough and professional way: donning a fresh pair of gloves in front of me, asking if I requested a private screening, informing me of every step he was about to perform and being very apologetic about me having to unbuckle my belt and holding the buckle out. He opened my carry on, swabbed the inside of the suitcase, the toiletry bag and the canister I stored the bottle of wine in. All of them with a different swab ! He then inspected the "geek bag" (see above) and politely asked me if I could repack it since he feared not being able to put everything back in the proper way so it would close again. No problem at all ! SSSS ? Sometimes it DOES mean "Smooth, Sweet, Swift and Secure". What about my shoes ? Not once was I asked to remove them: WTMD did not alert and neither did the hand-wand so my socks did not have to graze the floor at IAD.

Once done, I asked "Chris" to call the supervisor. He asked if there was anything wrong and I replied "Quite the contrary". I then told the supervisor I wished to commend "Chris" for his performance: kind, courteous, very clear instructions and perfectly adhering to SOP. What I did NOT mention, however, was the fact that I had forgotten my Bic lighter in my rolled-up jeans inside my carry on and that "Chris" had failed to detect it, while SSSS-ing my bag.

DEN (Jeppeson Main Terminal) - LAX (Los Angeles International Airport, CA)
After a couple of great days with my Friends in Denver, CO I was on my way for a weekend in Sacramento, CA through Los Angeles. Checking into Denver, one of the "shoe carnival airports" par excellence, I was VERY eager to see how it would go. And as to go...it went. Not sure yet if it's positive, negative or neutral, but here's the recount of my experience. Travel clothes on, I passed the BP&ID checking agent, put my ID in my back pocket to approach the x-ray belt. By now you have guessed it: jacket off, laptop out, shoes on my feet and lighter in front right pocket.

There was a lead just BEFORE the WTMD, watching the operations, off to one side and he said nothing about my shoes. Neither did the agent manning the WTMD and who just waved me through as I was waiting there with a smile. Upon passing the WTMD without an alert, she looked down and demanded in a stern tone: "Go back, remove your shoes, place them on the belt and pass the detector again". I refused, saying "Sorry, Ma'm, those [shoes] are non metal, less than 1" thick and the WTMD did not alert". The "Go over to that side" she gave me, was accompanied by her shouting "Male assist". Not really SOP, in my humble opinion. Waiting for the male assist, I saw the lead I noticed earlier walking towards me. He asked me to take a seat and while wanding my shoes he WINKED (I swear..he did) and told me "...we're not only looking for metal, Sir..". He did NOT give me a full body-wand NOR a pat down, NOR checked my carry on bag (which stayed in my view and was never ONCE touched by any TSA agent). And there I was on my merry way to the train to the gates, with my lighter in the pocket...after another secondary screening.

I am not sure about this and would like the FT's populations adv: should I file a "double complaint" ? One for the female screener for sending me to secondary in retaliation for not taking off my shoes and one for the lead who performed a less than poor secondary screening (names & badge # on record) ? Or should I let it go ?

SMF (Sacramento International Airport, CA - Terminal B) - DEN
After a VERY nice weekend in Sacramento and upon checking in with the self-service kiosks, I approached the TSA checkpoint with my usual setting: jacket off, laptop out, shoes on my feet and lighter in the front right pocket of my pants. Not one comment on my shoes after I lifted the leg of my pants and after exchanging a lil banter about books & photography with the agent after the WTMD, I was on my way to the gate.

On my way home, DEN-IAD-ZRH was the originally planned itinerary. Since the DEN-IAD and the DEN-ZRH looked quite full, I decided to get onto a DEN-MDW-IAD-MUC-ZRH itinerary. But as non-rev travel goes, some glitches WERE to be built in my tribulations. Not too bad, considered that it gave me one more occasion to experience how the different TSA checkpoints did their job. So I ended up doing a DEN-MDW-IAD on one day and a IAD-ZRH on the next one.

DEN - MDW (Chicago Midway International Airport)
Checked in, surrendered my hold-luggage and prepared myself for an almost 40 hour long day before reclaiming my car at ZRH's parking and returning home. Approached the DEN TSA checkpoint just before the bridge connecting the Jeppeson Main Terminal to Concourse A: jacket off, laptop out, shoes on my feet, lighter in the front right pocket of my pants. A VERY strong suggestion to remove my shoes ("Take off your shoes and place them on the belt") and me indicating that they were "non profile", a smile and a banter about the lack of people at this checkpoint later, I had passed the WTMD without alerting. The bin with jacket & laptop came out, followed by my bag...and an agent asking "This your luggage, Sir ?". I answered affirmatively, which prompted a kind "Step to this side, please". I admit I was confused at this point and figured the "geek bag" (see above) was about to weather further inspection. I was to be proved wrong and to emit a KUDOS to the person manning the x-ray.

The very polite TSA agent stated that something triggered the attention of the (verbatim) "x-raying guy" and that he had to check upon it. All the while I was thinking about what might have triggered his trained eye. Then it hit me: I asked, with a smile "Would it be a pointed object, strangely resembling a pair of scissors ?". He smiled in return and answered that indeed a metal object with what appeared to be sharp points had been spotted. As he donned a fresh pair of gloves I told him it might be in the toiletry bag and to use caution as, if it indeed was what I suspected, he might injure himself. In the frenzy of packing, I had forgotten to transfer to my checked luggage the 3 ½ inches long and very pointy scissors I use to trim my goatee. Guess that being a smartass does not protect you..ROFL. The TSA agent removed them and called for a lead. The attractive and very professional Lady that showed up took the scissors and informed me: "Pointy and sharp metal objects as this pair of scissors are forbidden in carry on luggage. You have several options. Either..." at which point I politely interrupted her and told her "I wish to surrender them. I forgot about them and would like to apologize for the disturbance". As I was repacking my carry on I commended her and the agent that spotted the scissors for their professionalism and courtesy. She appeared to be very glad and I thought that DEN was only half as bad as the FT-reports indicate. It was only after her reaction to my suggestion to be watching for SOP re: shoes need to come off, that I realized DEN indeed IS a "shoe carnival". Why ? She answered by: "Oh you know...those rules change constantly...". As I was in some of a hurry to catch my flight, I filed her comment under the section "blame the training & ultimately the FSD". Official TSA complaint still under consideration, though: your input is more than appreciated.

MDW (A Gates) - IAD
After an uneventful flight from DEN, I landed in MDW and was listed on my onward flight to IAD, that would connect me to the international flight to MUC (München Flughafen, Germany), but as I said earlier, the Gods of non-reving and mechanicals decided otherwise.

30 minutes of delay at the gate later, due to some mechanical checks, I boarded the plane which later was held on the taxiway for some further checking while the issue that kept us from boarding repeated itself. Once reset, we were on our way for take-off. Literally seconds before tower granted take-off authorization, our captain declared he had to vacate the runway as the issue reappeared. We taxied back to the gate..and deplaned. During the next 2 hours that followed, the flight was cancelled as new equipment was flown in. Along with a fellow traveler I grabbed the occasion to go curbside and indulged in a much needed nicotine fix. As we came back airside, I used the protocol the reader should be used by now: jacket off, laptop out, shoes on my feet, lighter in the front right pocket of my pants. No questions asked in regards to the shoes: they stayed on and the WTMD did not alert. While not overly friendly, the TSA agents I encountered here seemed to be following SOP: while suggesting to take shoes off they did not send pax to secondary if they did not alert. Off to the gate again.

By the time the replacement equipment came in, I had missed my IAD-MUC flight of course. Hence another night on the couch of my District-based Friend.

IAD - ZRH
After a very funny check in at IAD, bantering about one of my checked bags (photo lights) that had spent the night at IAD and that was off to MUC while I was headed to ZRH (got it back today..hehe..the lights seem to be a bit drunk: wonder if the beer in MUC had anything to do with that..LOL) I was on my way to the TSA checkpoint. The setting ? Yes..the usual: jacket off, laptop out, shoes on my feet and lighter in the front right pocket of my pants. Not ONE word from the very friendly TSA agent after he glanced at my pants' leg lifted up to show the shoe. Enjoyed the couple of cigs at IAD's Concourse B & C smoking lounges, got on my flight and landed at ZRH safely.

General considerations:
MANY...when I say MANY I mean at least 15 individuals over the past 20 days told me they were told even matches weren't allowed in carry on. BULL ! (pardon my French). Educate yourself on what is allowed and what not. If your travel agent, airline of broker says "ABC..yadayada is not allowed", watch for an official notice on the TSA.GOV website and request an explanation from your travel agent if their info differs from what you found there.

ID:
If you plan to fly within the US, there is only one or two points you are required to show ID in order to travel "smoothly": at check in and at the BP-checking person BEFORE coming to the TSA checkpoint (revenue control). TSA should NOT ask you for ID when passing the WTMD and you are NOT REQUIRED to show it (exception: should your swab show a positive for explosives you might be required to prove ID).
Handle your ID as confidential info. Should you feel threatened in any way or denied ID# and name by a public servant unless you provided your own, ask for a law enforcement officer (typically a police officer at the airport you are in).

If you are neither a US citizen nor a resident alien (green card), then always carry your passport with the I-94 or I-94W stub stapled to it: in case of a legitimate ID check or a traffic stop this will be your only resource of proving you are legally into US territory at that time. When purchasing ANY item by credit card, refuse showing ID as long as your credit card is signed. The store has no legal expectancy to checking your ID. Should they insist, either refuse patronage (i.e.: choosing another store) or call for a LEO.

Findings:
I passed 8 TSA checkpoints, resulting in: twice to secondary (once SSSS (IAD), once triggered (DEN)); 1 pair of scissors detected and surrendered, 8 times lighter went undetected. Overall pleasant to very pleasant and customer-oriented attitude showed by TSA personnel.

Conclusion:
As a citizen of Switzerland I have always been used to ID check and screening while boarding flights, even within Europe. Hence and per se, the US regs re: BP&ID and WTMD did not come as a surprise to me. What I never encountered before traveling since DHS was created, though, was the arbitrary way of applying the law.

That said and while lighting a smoke with a lighter that traveled in a non-hiding-way across the pond and back, not to mention 2 SSSS and a couple of checkpoints in between; I conclude that..YES, there is a need for uniformity in applying SOP uniformly across TSA checkpoints (FSD responsibility or supervisor's goodwill to bend FSD's instructions in favor of federal directions).

"What goes around comes around" - I noticed that a civilized, friendly, non-confrontational yet assured manner always served me well. And not only with TSA: you are a customer and the person in front of you is there to tend to your need: to serve you...NOT to be a SLAVE to you !

Advice to travelers:
Do NOT bring forbidden items to the checkpoint. Even your innocently forgetting a beard-trim scissors can get you into trouble or at least into a delay at the checkpoint. Or even worse if you did it intentionally or concealed it "artfully".

Are you a smoker ? Pack up to four books of matches in your carry on. And stand your ground to anybody who says "no way". Folks at TSA checkpoint will disprove them.

Are you a smoker like me ? If you put your "Bic" lighter in your pocket and remove all other metal items, then you will pass the WTMD without any issue.

Shoes ? Here comes the "moot point". I made it through all checkpoints without removing them. IF you are deemed to secondary (hand wand) as a retaliatory move for not removing your shoes, your pocketed lighter WILL be detected. IF moved to secondary for NOT removing your shoes and/or if told that everybody needs to remove its shoes, I suggest filing a complaint with TSA. Maybe I was just lucky when "secondaried", but I believe it had more to do with the following point?

Be respectful !
TSA agents, screeners, leads and supervisors are HUMAN BEINGS. Apart from certain "ego specialists", they respond to your way of acting. Do you consider them as a nuisance (bugs to be quashed) or merely as people doing their job (as you are doing...maybe directing traffic ..maybe advising tycoons to invest millions or even legitimate workers taking a deserved vacation ) ? TSA will respond in kind and "sting" or just being like human beings are. Be aware of the fact that air travel STILL is a PRIVILEDGE open to those who can afford it as opposed to being a "due". Hence you will have to be able to afford some inconveniences. Do not offer ID, do not offer "sh**ty attitude"; just provide common courtesy and well-mannered behavior. The kind our parents tried to teach us. A "Yes Ma'm, No Sir" always carried me further than a "What the F**k, Dude" did.

That said... I hope you were not bored by my recitative and that you enjoyed the read. Comments are more than welcome.

Shaved

Last edited by Shaved; Jun 11, 2005 at 8:20 pm Reason: ARG!!! I should learn to proof-read my material...
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Shaved...thanks for the very detailed, honest and forthright report on your recent experiences with security in your travels to and through the US.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 9:29 pm

Programs: TSA
Nice

Very well written! I can say that since I work at DEN I am surprised by some of your observations and wording. I work the "bridge" cp and I can tell you that there are a lot of PAX that come over the pond with lighters and have no issue getting here! It's getting back when they loose them.
On the issue of shoes, it has always been a judgement call. We dont carry rulers to verify observations. You might get sent down if your shoes APPEAR to be over the profile, to the uncalibrated eyeball. As far as getting sent to additional screening in the main terminal goes. The lasy screener that sent you down appeared angry because she was embarrassed that she wasnt paying attention and let you in with what she though was too thick of shoe soles. The lead screener that wanded you didnt follow proper procedures and you should have gotten wanded and patted down. It is up to you if you want to make a complaint about it. IF you do, I hope that you got names and such. I have never heard screener say "Step to the side" as a way to get you to go to bag search or secondary screening. We have those plexi-glass boths in the middle of both WTMD. IF you went through lane 6 on the bridge you may have been told that because there is no booth on that lane. The remark that the lead made about the rules changing constantly is a bunch of garbage. The rules have never changed. I dont know why she said this. Last but not least, the part about showing ID isnt true at all airports. It is true at DEN because we have dedicate lane for SSSS screening. Once the contract ticket checker looks at your boarding pass and ID you are free to put it away. AT other airports there are integrated lanes and TSA will check your ID and boarding pass numerous times to ensure that you are not SSSS. One last word, the lighter rules are a nightmare. You have found an inherent flaw in the system and you have exploited it. TSA screeners know about the issue with lighters in pockets and there is very little that can be done about it. Best of luck on future flights.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:09 am

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Shaved:

Thanks for the report. I think you might want to be careful about any comments about carrying that lighter through all those checkpoints, though. Anyone at TSA HQ who reads this (and I'll bet there is some wonk who has the job of distilling information from these threads) will likely be embarrassed that you were able to carry that prohibited item. And arguably, since you clearly know that is supposed to be prohibited, somebody might want to try and make an example of you.

Eyecue:

Just a couple observations on your comments. My experience at DEN (and what many others have reported) is that we're generally not dealing with "uncalibrated eyeballs" when it comes to shoe sole thickness -- that I can understand. What many of us have experienced (and not only at DEN) is the blanket "off with your shoes" approach, which is never accompanied by so much as a glance at the shoes in question. My experience shows that this might be getting somewhat better, but it is certainly not system-wide.

As for the "rules change" comment by the screener / supervisor. This is a variant of the usual reply when a pax challenges the TSA screener. When it comes to shoes, I've heard, "we're not just looking for metal". When it comes to my complaint that ORD doesn't make me take the shoes off, "well, they're doing it wrong". When I complain that the rules are inconsistently applied from airport to airport, "well, that's to keep the bad guys off balance". So the screener was just using an excuse (that you shouldn't be able to validate because of secrecy around the rules) to get you to stop complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.