Search

TSA Overreaction??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2003, 7:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
TSA Overreaction??

I submit the following anecdote from Philadelphia. This was reported on 2/28/03 by The Travel Insider™, an internet newsletter:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">This Week's Security Horror Story : 'A 71 year old grandmother can kill you just as much as a 20 year old' said Philadelphia Police Capt Dominic Mingacci. 'In these times we are living in, you can never tell'.

Mingacci made these comments to explain what happened when the grandmother in question, after getting off her plane and walking through the concourse at Philadelphia Airport, suddenly remembered that she had left her coat on the plane, so turned round and walked back towards the gate. In her confusion and concern, she didn't realize that she had left the secure part of the terminal and needed to detour through security to re-enter it. Instead, she went directly back the way she came, past the 'no entry' sign, and was then immediately chased by a security screener who stopped her.

What happened next? Oh, the usual. Although she was probably in the secure area for all of 30 seconds, and never out of sight of the security screener, the checkpoints were closed for 55 minutes and bomb sniffing dogs called in to secure the area, while the 71 year old grandmother was marched off to the airport's police station and questioned. She subsequently said 'I was treated like a criminal. I understand they were doing their job, but there was no reason for that screener to yell at me like that and almost knock me over'. Very true.</font>
Old Mar 1, 2003, 8:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">This Week's Security Horror Story : 'A 71 year old grandmother can kill you just as much as a 20 year old' said Philadelphia Police Capt Dominic Mingacci. 'In these times we are living in, you can never tell'.

Mingacci made these comments to explain what happened when the grandmother in question, after getting off her plane and walking through the concourse at Philadelphia Airport, suddenly remembered that she had left her coat on the plane, so turned round and walked back towards the gate. In her confusion and concern, she didn't realize that she had left the secure part of the terminal and needed to detour through security to re-enter it. Instead, she went directly back the way she came, past the 'no entry' sign, and was then immediately chased by a security screener who stopped her.

What happened next? Oh, the usual. Although she was probably in the secure area for all of 30 seconds, and never out of sight of the security screener, the checkpoints were closed for 55 minutes and bomb sniffing dogs called in to secure the area, while the 71 year old grandmother was marched off to the airport's police station and questioned. She subsequently said 'I was treated like a criminal. I understand they were doing their job, but there was no reason for that screener to yell at me like that and almost knock me over'. Very true.</font>
[/B][/QUOTE]

Once again, just one side of the story.

Old Mar 1, 2003, 8:33 am
Suspended

Ok so whats the other side? Or it censured for National Security reasons.
Mike
Old Mar 1, 2003, 10:42 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Censored for your safety of course. You don't need to know, please don't ask or we will have to silence you.

'6079 Smith, W.! Hands out of pockets in the cells!'

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKESILV:
Ok so whats the other side? Or it censured for National Security reasons.
Mike
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Mar 1, 2003, 11:43 am

They probably did not know if anyone else had gone back through the exit lane because a screener had their head up his/her a$$ and was not paying attention. This is another person who should be made an example of and fired.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
I have not seen that ANY of the incompetent TSA employees have been fired.

Have the nitwit(s) who caused the SEA terminal to be evacuated been fired? If so, where is the proof?

Has the nitwit who brought the loaded handgun to BOS been fired? If so, where is the proof?

Has Naccara (FSD in BOS) been fired? If not, WHY?

Have the nitwit(s) in TPA that did not keep control of their fake bomb been fired? If so, where is the proof?

If this agency is serious about keeping the public trust, they MUST publicize the termination of incompetent staffers.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 8:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
I have not seen that ANY of the incompetent TSA employees have been fired.

Have the nitwit(s) who caused the SEA terminal to be evacuated been fired? If so, where is the proof?

Has the nitwit who brought the loaded handgun to BOS been fired? If so, where is the proof?

Has Naccara (FSD in BOS) been fired? If not, WHY?

Have the nitwit(s) in TPA that did not keep control of their fake bomb been fired? If so, where is the proof?

If this agency is serious about keeping the public trust, they MUST publicize the termination of incompetent staffers.
</font>
Do firings @ you company make the Nightly News ?
Old Mar 1, 2003, 9:31 pm

A mistake by one of my employees does not cost Thousands of dollars in expenses. Not to mention lost time and inconvienence.

As TAXPAYERS, we are ENTITLED to know when incompetent Governemt Employees have been terminated.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1P
As employees of my mine, I want to know when TSA members have failed in their duties to secure our nation's air transportation in a reasonable manner, especially when their failures have cost thousands to boot.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 12:17 pm

Where does it say that this information is required to be released? Just because they worked for the government does not make it mandatory.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 2:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
As TAXPAYERS, we are ENTITLED to know when incompetent Governemt Employees have been terminated.</font>
Old Mar 3, 2003, 3:59 pm

As TAXPAYERS, we are ENTITLED to know when incompetent Governemt Employees have been terminated.
</font>
OK, I'll bite. Show me, in writing, where that is stated.

Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:11 pm

You need to see that in writing? Do you not pay taxes???

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
OK, I'll bite. Show me, in writing, where that is stated.

</font>

------------------
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
You need to see that in writing? Do you not pay taxes???

</font>
Yes plz. Show me, where we as taxpayers are "entitled" to be informed when incompetant govt. employees are terminated. I'm just curious as to where it states this exact entitlement.

Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:52 pm

It's not written down, but it certainly should be owed to every tax payer. In any business, the people who pay the salaries are entitled to see hirings/firings. Try telling a shareholder "it's none of your business" and see how many shareholders you have. We don't get a choice as to whether we pay taxes (and stay out of jail). The TSA should have no choice but to come clean with those who are robbed to pay for this disgrace of an agency.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Yes plz. Show me, where we as taxpayers are "entitled" to be informed when incompetant govt. employees are terminated. I'm just curious as to where it states this exact entitlement.

</font>

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.