Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Mathematician Criticizes "Security" Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mathematician Criticizes "Security" Program

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Daschle would NOT let the Transportation Security Act of 2001 go through w/o federalizing the screeners. He was UNWILLING to compromise.

Bush could not Veto such an important piece of legislation over one stumbling block.

Once again, the democrats idea of bipartisianship is that they get their way.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:10 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
Daschle would NOT let the Transportation Security Act of 2001 go through w/o federalizing the screeners. He was UNWILLING to compromise.

Bush could not Veto such an important piece of legislation over one stumbling block.

Once again, the democrats idea of bipartisianship is that they get their way.
</font>
There's no doubt about your point on aspects of the TSA program - but on the creation of TSA itself, I'm not sure there was that much disagreement, Rep v Dem. No?
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:00 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Yes, there was.

The Republicans wanted to use common sense and institute tougher regulations and federal oversight of PRIVATE screeners.

The Democrats wanted no part of that, thus Daschle's infamous "In order to professionalize, you must federalize" comment.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:49 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
There's no doubt about your point on aspects of the TSA program - but on the creation of TSA itself, I'm not sure there was that much disagreement, Rep v Dem. No?</font>
RS, it was the democrats that pushed this through. Bush was against federalizing.

Old Feb 4, 2003, 9:59 am

Ok, I read the post about items surrendered to the TSA and where they end up. As usual, someone read what they wanted to in the article. As I read it, TWO AIRPORTS are selling the objects and using the money to offset operating expenses. The state of California is also getting into it to reap something as well. That is FAR from the TSA selling anything that is surrendered to them. I did not read anywhere in the article that the TSA is selling ANYTHING. At least tell it right without all the hyperbole.

Edited for spelling.

[This message has been edited by ACES II (edited 02-04-2003).]
Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:54 pm

Next time you get a chance, ask the airline what happens to all the confiscated items, then report back here, and we'll see if they tell the truth. I KNOW what is done with them, but am not at liberty to say.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:44 pm

That brings up a good point. In fact, at MSP, all "surrendered" metal items end up getting collected by Norwest Airlines. What they do from there, who knows? The government has not set up a standard procedure for what do with these items. Typically, TSA merely collects them and the local airline or government takes it from there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Next time you get a chance, ask the airline what happens to all the confiscated items, then report back here, and we'll see if they tell the truth. I KNOW what is done with them, but am not at liberty to say.</font>
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TakeScissorsAway:
Next time you get a chance, ask the airline what happens to all the confiscated items, then report back here, and we'll see if they tell the truth. I KNOW what is done with them, but am not at liberty to say.</font>
Isn't this kind of silly? What, is it a national-security matter where confiscated items end up? Come on!

Most people who think that they have some sort of secret information are just trying to make themselves feel important.

Bruce
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Isn't this kind of silly? What, is it a national-security matter where confiscated items end up? Come on!

Most people who think that they have some sort of secret information are just trying to make themselves feel important.

Bruce
</font>
Sorry Bruce, I'm not trying to hide anything. I'm just covering my butt, in case this "does" fall under SSI. Anyway, I believe the answer has already been posted. I know I'm not important, and if I ever made the mistake of thinking I was, all I'd have to do is come to this BB, and Spiff & tazi would reassure me that I wasn't

[This message has been edited by TakeScissorsAway (edited 02-05-2003).]
Old Feb 5, 2003, 9:49 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
Yes, there was.

The Republicans wanted to use common sense and institute tougher regulations and federal oversight of PRIVATE screeners.

The Democrats wanted no part of that, thus Daschle's infamous "In order to professionalize, you must federalize" comment.
</font>
I stand corrected. I mostly recall the differences over the "civil service" issues of employees in this program, not the issue of public v. private employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.