Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Should Canada's “Verified Traveller” be extended to all NEXUS members' co-travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Canada's “Verified Traveller” be extended to all NEXUS members' co-travelers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Lightbulb Should Canada's “Verified Traveller” be extended to all NEXUS members' co-travelers?

Originally Posted by tecate55
Just pointing out that with the rollout of Canada’s “Verified Traveller” program starting June 20, Nexus cardholders have been downgraded and can no longer universally bring any co-traveller through the Canadian CATSA lines with them.

I know some might be happy to hear this, but it was a big reason I signed up for Nexus in the first place so I’ll submitting my complaints to several parties.

Just had that experience yesterday (June 23rd) at Toronto Pearson Terminal 1 D gates (where they arbitrarily closed our E gate for ??? reasons and did a bad job of shuffling pax over)

Exceptions are flights to USA (dunno why), front-of-the-line access and those 17 or under or 75 and over.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/verified-travellers
Doesn't sound like a downgrade for ‘Nexus cardholders’, but a downgrade for companions of Nexus members that don’t also hold it.

have no issues with this, by the way. IMO, aside from minors, I can’t think of a reason why those who haven’t been vetted as trusted travelers should benefit from procedures designed for those who have been? Now that I think of it, this seems less of a ‘downgrade’, and more of closing a gaping loophole in the system until now.
SPN Lifer and TV guy like this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Doesn't sound like a downgrade for ‘Nexus cardholders’, but a downgrade for companions of Nexus members that don’t also hold it.

have no issues with this, by the way. IMO, aside from minors, I can’t think of a reason why those who haven’t been vetted as trusted travelers should benefit from procedures designed for those who have been? Now that I think of it, this seems less of a ‘downgrade’, and more of closing a gaping loophole in the system until now.
Certainly not a loophole as the program intentionally decided to include this as a benefit, which delivered a particular parameter to cardholders.

At least myself, and I’m sure other cardholders, found it very valuable to themselves to stick with their co-travellers through a faster security process. The carveouts seem arbitrary; <18s and >75s are eligible for Nexus, so why exempt them? And I would have expected the new rules to be the most restrictive for US, but it’s the opposite.

It’s not a stretch for a program to trust vetted cardholders’ co-travellers by association. Would be interesting to hear if there was any evidence of co-travellers causing safety incidents.

A root problem is that you can’t get your card revoked for CATSA (or TSA) violations (as far as I know, unless you commit some crime that makes you ineligible for customs/imm purposes). This problem continues to exist because a trusted customs program is being used as a trusted security program.

Last edited by tecate55; Jun 24, 2023 at 1:17 pm
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I don't see why a companion should get the same privileges as the NEXUS holder. I can potentially understand if it's the same screening as everybody else, but if expedited screening like PreCheck, I am in favor of just the member getting to use it.
seawolf and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 5:33 pm

I'm never a fan of losing perks - but I will say having a clear outlined policy of who is a permitted companion in the trusted security line should be helpful in terms of consistency across airports.

YVR in my experience never let me bring companions without Nexus/GE, etc in the trusted security line anyway, so I'm hoping with the verified traveler revamp there's less confusion.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: AC Ennui 50K · BA Gold · EIL Carte Blanche
A slight update on this from reading the information page. It turns out co-travellers of any age will still be allowed trans-border, at least by air.

Edit: Aaand I see this has already been mentioned!
SPN Lifer and tecate55 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.