Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Will the debt ceiling affect ATC, TSA, CBP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2023, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Planning a business trip to northern US for June. Last time there was a debt ceiling thing, there was little disruption (TSA staffing shortages leading to increased wait time and a few cancelled flights, but generally no issues with ATC). Should I play safe and plan to fly into and out of Canada and drive or could land crossigns be closed, too?
Old May 21, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by AltGrStrg
Planning a business trip to northern US for June. Last time there was a debt ceiling thing, there was little disruption (TSA staffing shortages leading to increased wait time and a few cancelled flights, but generally no issues with ATC). Should I play safe and plan to fly into and out of Canada and drive or could land crossigns be closed, too?
Perhaps you are thinking of previous government shutdowns, or sequestrations? The best example that I can think of was the sequestration of 2019 when government employees were ordered to work without pay. This went on for about one month until understaffed and overworked air traffic controllers put an end to the political nonsense.

The only prior debt ceiling thing I can recall was in 2011. It was called off at the last minute, so there were no obvious travel effects other than severely harming the US economy.

I am also making contingent planning in June to return via Mxico, but it's just too early to know how things will play out.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobs
Originally Posted by AltGrStrg
ATC, TSA and CBP won't be affected. Certain employees, especially the ones performing critical work and/or essential personnel will need to show up to work, regardless if there's a "government shutdown" or a fight over the debt limit.
The rest of the non essential staff within the FAA, TSA, and CBP may be forced to either work or placed on furlough.

It was working as usual with one of those agencies during a these "government shutdowns" as I was "essential ", it sucked not knowing if Congress could get their act together while the rest of have to worry about taking care of ourselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.