Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What's the point of exit passport control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the point of exit passport control?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jms_uk
At the end of the last century, IIRC.
I encountered some exit passport control at LHR during the current century. But it was a temporary ad hoc set up that quickly became a not so random “random” spot check of selected travelers — right after clearing passenger security screening — and involved no exit stamps. It was basically a fishing expedition, but it existed for pretty brief periods during the GWB Admin IIRC.
jms_uk likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 10:12 am

IME its for overstayers and a check for unpaid fines. Travel companion overstayed by 15 days or so, and when leaving the border agent at BEG was trying to do the math with the permitted stay, multiple entry/exits during that time, and so forth. This was all done by flipping through the passport and reading date codes on stamps, computer was not of much use. They knew something was up, but thankfully a scene erupted at the border stall next to us (lady freaking out about not being able to leave) so buddy just got stamped quickly and we went onwards.
Spiff likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:20 pm

It's not always simple. I just have one citizenship. But for dual citizens, it is sometimes necessary to "exit" on one passport and to "enter" on another passport, in order to get where they are going and then get back. If they mess up, they may be required to get a visa in order to return to the country that they have citizenship. So for a certain group, an exit stamp is necessary in one passport while the other passport will contain the entry stamp.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
It's not always simple. I just have one citizenship. But for dual citizens, it is sometimes necessary to "exit" on one passport and to "enter" on another passport, in order to get where they are going and then get back. If they mess up, they may be required to get a visa in order to return to the country that they have citizenship. So for a certain group, an exit stamp is necessary in one passport while the other passport will contain the entry stamp.
In which country is it required by a person's country of citizenship that the citizen of the country be required to have a visa from their own country of citizenship in order to return to and enter the country of which the person is a citizen?

Or are you referring to a dual-citizen's travel via third countries (i.e., countries of which the dual-citizen is not a citizen) because the international travel documents from one country of citizenship aren't recognized by the other country of citizenship and/or by transited third countries for a given dual-citizen traveler?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue
So for a certain group, an exit stamp is necessary in one passport while the other passport will contain the entry stamp.
Exit and entry stamps from the same country??
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In which country is it required by a person's country of citizenship that the citizen of the country be required to have a visa from their own country of citizenship in order to return to and enter the country of which the person is a citizen?

Or are you referring to a dual-citizen's travel via third countries (i.e., countries of which the dual-citizen is not a citizen) because the international travel documents from one country of citizenship aren't recognized by the other country of citizenship and/or by transited third countries for a given dual-citizen traveler?
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Exit and entry stamps from the same country??
yeah, I think he is confusing the latter issue - not possible on the former.

(unless maybe DPRK?)
Old Apr 15, 2023, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
yeah, I think he is confusing the latter issue - not possible on the former.

(unless maybe DPRK?)
Many a country has exit passport control in place to also limit their own citizens travel abroad or even shake down their own citizens for money on the attempted way out. Some even have had de facto exit visas for their own citizens that came in the form of needing additional government-issued documentation additional to the passport permitting expatriation from the country (of citizenship) whose passport is being used for the trip out of the country of citizenship or in some cases even from another country if not heading back directly to the country of citizenship.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:43 am

dual-citizen's travel via third countries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.