Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Has Global Entry been recently revoked/suspended for Iran-born GE members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Has Global Entry for Iran-born GE members been suspended/off-lined by US DHS/CBP in recent days?

Is some (non-governmental) group like this https://muslimadvocates.org/2018/02/...he-muslim-ban/ keeping track of what is going on with Global Entry status for Iran-born persons who had been (previously) approved for GE (and most of whom probably had GE cards)?

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 6, 2020 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Los Angeles Times:
Iranian Americans reportedly questioned at U.S.-Canada border in British Columbia

More than 60 Iranians and Iranian Americans were questioned Saturday as they tried to reenter the U.S. through the Peace Arch Border Crossing to Blaine, Wash., the Washington-state chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said. Some were subjected to delays of several hours and asked numerous questions concerning their political views and allegiances, according to accounts the organization received.

A spokesperson for Washington Lt. Gov. Cyrus Habib said his office received reports that Iranians and Iranian Americans were being asked “probing questions,” such as their thoughts on Suleimani’s assassination and on Iran, as well as inquiries about whether their fathers had served in the Iranian military. Military service is compulsory for all males older than 18, although some wealthy families are able to pay fines to keep their children out of the draft.

Enoka Herat, immigrant rights counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union in Seattle, said Sunday that her organization had also received reports concerning questioning of people of Iranian heritage at the Blaine border crossing. “It seems that American citizens are being targeted because of their ancestry,” she said. “We’ve seen that historically that doesn’t bode well.”

Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:14 pm

I find it interesting that people are actually answering this questions. I will never understand why US citizen do not tell them to take a hike. Maybe i am more of confrontational type but for sure if i was Iranian traveling on American passport entering us, i would refuse to answer any of those questions.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This link

https://www.thedailybeast.com/irania...ills-soleimani

has a mention of a US-only citizen of Iranian origin using a GE kiosk. He got a receipt with an X on it from the GE kiosk at US CBP Pre-clearance before being sent to secondary and asked much the same kind of stuff that has happened at land crossings back into WA state and back into NY. It would be interesting to know what prompted that X on the GE receipt for that California guy when he was flying back to the US after a Canadian ski trip. Unfortunately, CBP is again in deception mode from the top down and making obfuscating statements to mislead the public, so who knows what to make of some of what CBP says. But for what it's worth, CBP says that there has not been any changes to the GE system targeting Iranian-Americans.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 7, 2020 at 6:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.