Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA planning to shoot down drones near airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...bably-illegal/

What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks to fftusa.org
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by petaluma1
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...bably-illegal/

What could possibly go wrong?

Thanks to fftusa.org
Bolding mine: More like what will go wrong if you ask me <smdh>
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
For a moment I thought I'd fallen into a time warp and it was April 1st.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like management of airspace would be an FAA responsibility.

And why are there so many excess FAM's that TSA can staff VIPR teams and now a planned drone shoot down team. Shouldn't FAM's be assigned to flight duties or taken off the payroll?

Want to see the acronym for this group!
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Seems like management of airspace would be an FAA responsibility.

And why are there so many excess FAM's that TSA can staff VIPR teams and now a planned drone shoot down team. Shouldn't FAM's be assigned to flight duties or taken off the payroll?

Want to see the acronym for this group!
Drone & Unmanned Munitions Management Integrated Effects Squad - DUMMIES
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:55 pm

It won't be long before one of these idiots hit a plane.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SaigonExile
It won't be long before one of these idiots hit a plane.

FAM's?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott

And why are there so many excess FAM's

Hate to tell you but the FAM numbers are way down...... and slowly going down even more with folks hitting retirement age.

They haven't had a hiring class in two years or so....

If you are on a flight and you think its a FAM.... probably a Fed or someone local flying armed.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Hate to tell you but the FAM numbers are way down...... and slowly going down even more with folks hitting retirement age.

They haven't had a hiring class in two years or so....

If you are on a flight and you think its a FAM.... probably a Fed or someone local flying armed.
Yet TSA contemplates using FAM's in a new ground job. There is a question of how useful their air role is and a transition to ground duties might be an indication of TSA's thinking.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:10 am

Yet TSA contemplates using FAM's in a new ground job. There is a question of how useful their air role is and a transition to ground duties might be an indication of TSA's thinking.
I personally think when the mass retirements come in the next two years or so when the ones originally hired after 9-11 are able to do the 20 year LEO Retirement, its going end up going back to the way it was....

A 100 or so out there floating around mostly covering OCONUS flights.... and that's it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
I personally think when the mass retirements come in the next two years or so when the ones originally hired after 9-11 are able to do the 20 year LEO Retirement, its going end up going back to the way it was....

A 100 or so out there floating around mostly covering OCONUS flights.... and that's it.

I know two FAM's who have retired in the last year or so. Both moved from another agency after 9/11 during the big hiring push. I don't think either stayed any longer than needed to hit minimum retirement time. I certainly don't think using FAM's to interdict drones is a good use of available resources.
Spiff likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:35 am

I own a drone that been custom build for me. Good luck to them shooting it down. They have better chances of hitting an airplane.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by looker001
I own a drone that been custom build for me. Good luck to them shooting it down. They have better chances of hitting an airplane.

I believe that work is underway to interfere with the radio control systems of drones. Of course doing that could have a several pound object falling out of the sky in an uncontrolled manner. Operators who fly near airports or other unsafe manners should be arrested and charged with a crime.
gsoltso likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:19 pm

I certainly don't think using FAM's to interdict drones is a good use of available resources.
That makes me chuckle as we a DOD are having issues and trying to come up ways to interdict drones at our bases..... (and that is very open source).

I seriously doubt the clowns at TSA are doing something above and beyond to support FAMs sitting on their fat asses at Airports watching for drones.

That sounds more like a FAA gig (which where the FAMs should go back to.... but that's another thread).
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: TSA
I believe that work is underway to interfere with the radio control systems of drones. Of course doing that could have a several pound object falling out of the sky in an uncontrolled manner. Operators who fly near airports or other unsafe manners should be arrested and charged with a crime.
Like you, I am not thinking the primary interdiction will be "bang bang shootemup". I think the primary format will be using some form of radio wave interference first, then if there is a scenario where someone is in danger, then resorting to "bang bang shootemup". I agree with you that consistent arrest and prosecution should be ramped up for this type of occurrence - the problem is, it can be nigh on impossible to track who is controlling them. The tech is better now than when I was young and running RC airplanes, some of these things have a pretty serious distance capability - which makes finding the operator more difficult. There are no easy solutions for this challenge, and it seems to be increasing of late. Some of these are innocent folks just trying to get cool pictures of airplanes - some have had nefarious purposes. The primary challenge is stopping these types of situations from happening, then, finding the folks doing it, with a compounding challenge of figuring out which ones have innocent intentions, and which ones don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.