FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA planning to shoot down drones near airports
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:04 am
gsoltso

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I believe that work is underway to interfere with the radio control systems of drones. Of course doing that could have a several pound object falling out of the sky in an uncontrolled manner. Operators who fly near airports or other unsafe manners should be arrested and charged with a crime.
Like you, I am not thinking the primary interdiction will be "bang bang shootemup". I think the primary format will be using some form of radio wave interference first, then if there is a scenario where someone is in danger, then resorting to "bang bang shootemup". I agree with you that consistent arrest and prosecution should be ramped up for this type of occurrence - the problem is, it can be nigh on impossible to track who is controlling them. The tech is better now than when I was young and running RC airplanes, some of these things have a pretty serious distance capability - which makes finding the operator more difficult. There are no easy solutions for this challenge, and it seems to be increasing of late. Some of these are innocent folks just trying to get cool pictures of airplanes - some have had nefarious purposes. The primary challenge is stopping these types of situations from happening, then, finding the folks doing it, with a compounding challenge of figuring out which ones have innocent intentions, and which ones don't.