Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why Don't More States (in Particular California) Issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Don't More States (in Particular California) Issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by rickg523
I think your post represents such a small set of potential purchasers that it explains why so many states, including California, just haven't bothered.
Which also may explain why Michigan, Minnesota, Vermont and Washington state, which all have fairly large borders with our northern neighbor Canada, do offer the enhanced licenses
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Any insights as to why Enhanced Driver's Licenses are not available in California (and most states for that matter)?
Because this is typical for CA DMV.

Although sounds unrelated, Real ID is not something new. But it takes CA more than a decade to get the ball rolling, including 1 design change a few years ago before Real ID.

FWIW - there is a reason why CA DMV goes technology advance.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Enhanced ID does NOT have a star which I presume would drive TSA screeners nuts and lead to many problems trying to board a flight.
Why? The EDL/EID do have the word "enhanced" and have a distinguished design from the typical DLs. It is not a star. But it should work like the star.

Also - TSA makes it really clear that EDL/EID is not your typical ID as it is listed separately as an acceptable ID.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:18 am

If I'm traveling far ANYWHERE the US, whether or not it be close to the border, I take my passport too. It just feels right.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:58 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
If I'm traveling far ANYWHERE the US, whether or not it be close to the border, I take my passport too. It just feels right.
Would it feel even "righter" if you were asked to produce it regularly while traveling between states. Then one day you will be required to carry it. It will feel even "righter" to you.

Do us all a favor: keep your passport at home and keep us from sliding down a slippery slope; we don't all want to carry out papers just because of what people think is "right". If enough people start doing it, soon it will become "why don't you have your passport on you?" instead of "why are you carrying your passport" and then we are all in trouble.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
But you are located in FRA? Are you a US citizen?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Larrude
But you are located in FRA? Are you a US citizen?
The person may be a US citizen, and US citizens aren’t all located just in the US. FRA serves a lot of US citizens who are based within reasonable driving distance of it.

Wherever I travel or am otherwise out of my homes, I often have a passport; and I need it also because I may have sudden obligations requiring international travel of sort that would make it inconvenient to not have a passport with me. I have a passport with me more often than I have a DL with me. My default ID when dealing with TSA TDC is my GE card or US passport card, because losing them or having them get damaged is less problematic in ways than having the same happen to my passports or DL.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 22, 2019 at 1:23 am
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:21 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The person may be a US citizen, and US citizens aren’t all located just in the US. FRA serves a lot of US citizens who are based within reasonable driving distance of it.

Wherever I travel or am otherwise out of my homes, I often have a passport; and I need it also because I may have sudden obligations requiring international travel of sort that would make it inconvenient to not have a passport with me. I have a passport with me more often than I have a DL with me. My default ID when dealing with TSA TDC is my GE card or US passport card, because losing them or having them get damaged is less problematic in ways than having the same happen to my passports or DL.
I understand that not all US citizens are located in the US. But if he is not a US citizen, I can see him carrying his passport all the time while in the states, but if he is a citizen, I'm not sure why he would always carry his passport. Why would it just "feel right." I never carry my passport with me in the US unless I have plans to be traveling outside of our borders
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by Larrude; Oct 22, 2019 at 8:14 am
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:07 am

I understand why you reacted that way to my post, Ari, but let me explain. I agree that we ought not to be required to carry ID within the US. I don't do it for that reason. Why it feels right is because, for some reason, if I suddenly need to leave the country, I could. Now, that is not at all a likely scenario, so why it feels right to me, I am not sure. Of course, when I travel to parts of the country close to a land border, the reason for carrying a passport (card at least) are obvious - to enable one to leave and re-enter easily.

I am indeed a US citizen. However, to back up my argument that I am not a fan of carrying a passport with me at all times, I never carry it in Germany, where most carry their official ID card (or rarely, a passport when they don't have an ID card for whatever reason). I did start carrying my passport card because, were I to forget my work ID, I could only get a temporary replacement with official ID like my passport card. The alternative would be to go all the way back home and get it.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.