Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why Don't More States (in Particular California) Issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Don't More States (in Particular California) Issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would not a Passport Card accomplish the same things as an Enhanced drivers license?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Larrude
The enhanced driver's license is a lot more convenient for land crossings at the Canadian border. I'm about 60 miles from Buffalo where many people will pop across the border multiple times a month or even a week.
I use my passport card, birth certificate, passport and/or GE card along with my driving license to do that drive from Buffalo to Canada. I don't see any point of getting an EDL -- although for my last non-EDL DL issuance I did show my passport, SSA card and an old DL. If I were being driven across, then the passport card is more than sufficient and at least as good as a DL of any sort.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 14, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:01 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I use my passport card, birth certificate, passport and/or GE card along with my driving license to do that drive from Buffalo to Canada. I don't see any point of getting an EDL -- although for my last non-EDL DL issuance I did show my passport, SSA card and an old DL. If I were being driven across, then the passport card is more than sufficient and at least as good as a DL of any sort.
The enhanced driver's license means that you don't have to bother with additional documents - just the license that you would normally carry. It is useful to me if I am visiting friends in Buffalo and decide at last minute to head to Niagara on the Lake or Toronto - we don't have to worry about our documents
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Would not a Passport Card accomplish the same things as an Enhanced drivers license?
A passport card would certainly suffice, but since you would be carrying a driver's license anyhow, there is no need to have a passport card. For a $30 fee in NY state for an 8 year driver's license, I would need a good reason NOT to get the enhanced license
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Yes, except being able to operate motor vehicles I personally don't mind carrying one more plastic card in my wallet, but losing them both at the same time wouldn't be fun.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by König
Yes, except being able to operate motor vehicles I personally don't mind carrying one more plastic card in my wallet, but losing them both at the same time wouldn't be fun.
You can mitigate the risk of all IDs (and cash) being lost or stolen at the same time by carrying them, for example: in different pockets. Some of my friends and I have been splitting cards and money for years. Never a problem.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by jcf27
You can mitigate the risk of all IDs (and cash) being lost or stolen at the same time by carrying them, for example: in different pockets. Some of my friends and I have been splitting cards and money for years. Never a problem.
Nah, that's definitely not for me I will end up losing one half for sure. The only thing I carry separate is obviously my passport.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:15 pm

Is there a reciprocal agreement with Canada where USCBP accepts a Canadian equivalent "enhanced drivers license"? Or is it simply that Canada is fine with accepting a US EDL when crossing into Canada?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by nas6034
Is there a reciprocal agreement with Canada where USCBP accepts a Canadian equivalent "enhanced drivers license"? Or is it simply that Canada is fine with accepting a US EDL when crossing into Canada?
Yes, but only British Columbia and Manitoba currently offer them.
Ontario and Quebec have stopped offering them.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have never been asked for any sort of ID when crossing the land border from California into Mexico. As far as I know there is no document requirement until you leave the border zone.
There is still a documentation requirement, even if they don't bother enforcing it routinely. They can and do randomly check. In my experience, they are more likely to check if you are on foot than if you are in a vehicle.

As for why more states don't issue EDLs, my guess is that there isn't much of a demand. California has around 30 million people with a DL or state ID. How many of them do you think cross the Mexican border regularly enough that they would find it worthwhile to upgrade to an EDL in order to avoid carrying a passport, GE card, or other document? My guess is a few thousand at most. Even most residents of San Diego don't cross the border more than a few times a year. It's simply not worth offering a special document for such a small market.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Those in border areas that do cross frequently typically have Nexus or SENTRI, which eliminates the need for an EDL for them.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
There is still a documentation requirement, even if they don't bother enforcing it routinely. They can and do randomly check. In my experience, they are more likely to check if you are on foot than if you are in a vehicle.

As for why more states don't issue EDLs, my guess is that there isn't much of a demand. California has around 30 million people with a DL or state ID. How many of them do you think cross the Mexican border regularly enough that they would find it worthwhile to upgrade to an EDL in order to avoid carrying a passport, GE card, or other document? My guess is a few thousand at most. Even most residents of San Diego don't cross the border more than a few times a year. It's simply not worth offering a special document for such a small market.
My guess is that many Californians actually have passports. As in, much more than other states (if I recall correctly most Americans don't have passports). So it isn't a big deal.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by s0ssos
My guess is that many Californians actually have passports. As in, much more than other states (if I recall correctly most Americans don't have passports). So it isn't a big deal.
I would imagine that the percentage of New Yorkers with passports is about the same as Californians. Having a passport isn't a problem; it is carrying it with you when deciding to cross the border. I always carry my driver's license but
I only carry my passport when I'm specifically planning a trip.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42

It's not the regular border crossers - its people like me who are not regular crossers, who would like to know that if I happen to be in San Diego or Washington or New York I can spontaneously nip across the border without planning in advance.
Larrude likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
It's not the regular border crossers - its people like me who are not regular crossers, who would like to know that if I happen to be in San Diego or Washington or New York I can spontaneously nip across the border without planning in advance.
I think your post represents such a small set of potential purchasers that it explains why so many states, including California, just haven't bothered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.