Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Your reference talks about DEPLANING, whereas the OP is talking about at time of boarding. Two different things and not sure the boarding piece has been found to be out of line.
Some domestic flights have received a reception from CBP too, which means passengers may be subjected to the questions during or after deplaning.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was someone accused of failing to report over $10,000 in cash that was caught on a domestic flight connecting to an international flight. There was a debate about whether the person was going to report the cash before boarding the international segment.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Please don’t quote this junk map. It may be theoretical, but in practice CBP does not have secondary checkpoints based on the coasts. Only the northern and southern border zones. There are no checkpoints going from L.A. to Las Vegas, nor questioning at SEA, SFO or LAX going inland.
Aren't these internal checkpoint encounters limited to determining if a person is a citizen or not? CBP walks their sniffer dogs around vehicles to check for drugs/people (depending on the dog and is not a search) but the questions are strictly limited to questions of citizenship.
Spiff and muji like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Aren't these internal checkpoint encounters limited to determining if a person is a citizen or not?
No.

CBP has 2 responsibilities - immigration and customs. So even CBP is not checking immigration status, CBP can still exercise its customs responsibility when it is appropriate. In fact, there are permanent domestic checkpoints within the U.S. serving that purpose, which are all within the U.S. territories due to the fact that these territories have its own customs zone.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by garykung
No.

CBP has 2 responsibilities - immigration and customs. So even CBP is not checking immigration status, CBP can still exercise its customs responsibility when it is appropriate. In fact, there are permanent domestic checkpoints within the U.S. serving that purpose, which are all within the U.S. territories due to the fact that these territories have its own customs zone.
You are wrong on this. At the inland checkpoint, those are Border Patrol officers. They can perform an administrative questioning to determine nationality, but they have no authority to conduct Customs searches.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

This thread is about screening passengers departing on DOMESTIC, not international, flights.

As I have written a few hours earlier, future off-topic posts will be summarily deleted without further warning.

I have just had to delete a post complaining of harassment by CBP officers on the jet bridge while boarding a flight to Seoul.

Please stay on topic or risk being disciplined as prescribed in FlyerTalk Rule 23.

Please consider this to be your one and only warning!

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
I have decided to do what some of the guys at the inland checkpoints in Arizona and elsewhere at the 50-mile mark north of the Mexican border do:

"Am I being detained?"
"Then I"m free to go?"
"Am I being detained?"
"Then I'm free to go?.

If you repeat that sequence long enough they will let you pass, since they cannot detain you.

But as stated, most people willingly give up their rights at the drop of a hat.
What if the CBP agent on power trip wants to waste your time and make you miss your flight? Also when they run your name , they find out you have GE and won't they do something on their computer to revoke your GE saying you were not cooperative etc?
muji likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:29 pm

I don't have GE, never have and never will. Same with Pre-check, my days of flying all the time domestically are done. If they were to detain me - which they legally can't - then if i missed my flight because of it, they would have to prove probable cause to detain me, which they can't, since they legally can't detain anyone.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by catocony
I have decided to do what some of the guys at the inland checkpoints in Arizona and elsewhere at the 50-mile mark north of the Mexican border do:

"Am I being detained?"
"Then I"m free to go?"
"Am I being detained?"
"Then I'm free to go?.

If you repeat that sequence long enough they will let you pass, since they cannot detain you.

But as stated, most people willingly give up their rights at the drop of a hat.
I agree with this. I have nothing to hide. I will not answer questions I dont have to answer by some random person. If you can legally record, I'd say do so the moment they approach. Chances are when they are challenged they will back down or give it one last attempt.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym
I agree with this. I have nothing to hide. I will not answer questions I dont have to answer by some random person. If you can legally record, I'd say do so the moment they approach. Chances are when they are challenged they will back down or give it one last attempt.
Can you pull out your cellphone and start recording when you are at the jet bridge to board your flight and a CBP agent on power trip wants to see your ID, keeps questioning you?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:04 pm

Yes. Again, it's an outbound domestic flight. CBP has no jurisdiction at all.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
Can you pull out your cellphone and start recording when you are at the jet bridge to board your flight and a CBP agent on power trip wants to see your ID, keeps questioning you?
Pretty sure you can
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
Originally Posted by mysterym
Pretty sure you can
Pretty sure is not good enough. Be very careful when recording public servants (or anyone for that matter) because what is permitted and not permitted depends upon the jurisdiction. While it is legal to take video of public employees performing their jobs in public it is frequently NOT legal to record the audio of those same employees' conversations. In addition, while some jurisdictions allow one-party consent others require two-party consent to record audio. In practice, it is VERY difficult to take video with a phone without also capturing audio. This has led to persons being being arrested and the recording device impounded for videotaping a law enforcement officer doing something illegal.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Pretty sure is not good enough. Be very careful when recording public servants (or anyone for that matter) because what is permitted and not permitted depends upon the jurisdiction. While it is legal to take video of public employees performing their jobs in public it is frequently NOT legal to record the audio of those same employees' conversations. In addition, while some jurisdictions allow one-party consent others require two-party consent to record audio. In practice, it is VERY difficult to take video with a phone without also capturing audio. This has led to persons being being arrested and the recording device impounded for videotaping a law enforcement officer doing something illegal.
I'm very certain many LEO's would claim taping them doing something illegal is an illegal act. Many times that claim is made while the person recording is on a sidewalk. Sadly, in today's world LEO's are not always seen as having integrity or being above reproach as was more common years ago. Sad state of things but true. Should I be approached on a domestic only flight, on the jetway by an LEO, I would not answer their questions but start asking questions. Starting with "am I being detained"?

Know if you are in a one party or two party consent state before recording audio.. Also, I think a case could be made that once on the jetway a person is no longer in a public area but on private property . Tread carefully
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:28 am

A jetway is just as much public property as elsewhere in the airport. Record away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.