Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Screening Passengers in Jetway on Domestic Flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:29 pm

Note: it's actually not legal for feds to prosecute someone for simple possession of marijuana if the person complies with state law.

This is because the Rohrabacher–Farr amendment to the budget says the gov't can't spend money on such cases. There are legal cases backing it up.

However, this only results in deferred prosecution, i.e. until the amendment isn't renewed and they're allowed to pay someone to prosecute you again. So, still a pretty bad idea to confess to a fed that you've got pot.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:40 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to close up this thread, unless the OP of this thread RastaPasta can confirm seeing the plainclothes officers' "CBP" badges, and unless TravellingPenguin can confirm seeing the officers' "DEA" badges, I'm guessing that in both cases, what was going on here was local cops on a DEA task force (Detroit HIDTA most likely) trolling for cash. For more information,see here:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/d...s/73-294903919

I'm sure everyone would like to believe the men with badges were there to protect and serve, but I think they were just there to collect money.
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by Ari; Oct 14, 2019 at 1:46 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
With either, they can ask all the questions they want. And with either one can tell them to piss off.
Could a DEA agent subject a pax who didn't answer to a search? While the search may ultimately found to be illegal you might still miss your flight.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by nrr
Could a DEA agent subject a pax who didn't answer to a search? While the search may ultimately found to be illegal you might still miss your flight.
No as they need probably cause. Refusing to answer a question does not give probably cause.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
No as they need probably cause. Refusing to answer a question does not give probably cause.
If people don't understand that such a situation is voluntary, and police don't volunteer that information, they may believe that answering questions is mandatory.

I think given current times not volunteering any information to police is a good move. Ask if you are being detained then wait quietly. I think it'll be clear if you are being detained. Answering questions can assist police in developing probable cause leading to arrest. Of course following the advice of an attorney beats taking advice from any
IBB.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
When you do ask "am I being detained" and the answer isn't "yes" or "you're under arrest", then it's a fishing expedition and you should treat it as such. You are in no danger of being detained or arrested at that point, because if you were, they would have already arrested you.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing, future search purposes and to keep within the FlyerTalk Rules, recent posts discussing searches on the jet bridge of passengers departing the US on international flights were moved to the relevant thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:20 pm

It happened to me once and i told the agent it wasn't any of his business. Also told him, if he got an issue with my answers, he can tell it to someone that care what he got to say. That was the end of the questions. I refuse to answer custom questions when coming back to this country, so chances i will answer CBP question is absolutely zero.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:20 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by looker001
It happened to me once and i told the agent it wasn't any of his business. Also told him, if he got an issue with my answers, he can tell it to someone that care what he got to say. That was the end of the questions. I refuse to answer custom questions when coming back to this country, so chances i will answer CBP question is absolutely zero.
Just to be clear, you were probably dealing with a federally-glorified local cop trolling for cash on a jetway on a domestic flight.

Declining to answer CBP's simple routine questions at an international border will not generally get you a fast pass away from them and may lead to delays and more intensive searches. Just sayin'.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Just to be clear, you were probably dealing with a federally-glorified local cop trolling for cash on a jetway on a domestic flight.

Declining to answer CBP's simple routine questions at an international border will not generally get you a fast pass away from them and may lead to delays and more intensive searches. Just sayin'.
Badge said CBP. I have dealt with us custom and long delay (about 1 hour) for refusing to answer their question and even had FBI called on me. So yes i am aware of their tactics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.