Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New research (further) undermining SPOT/BDA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New research (further) undermining SPOT/BDA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Some years ago saizai put up a list of indicators used in the SPOT program (I think he got it from the Intercept, put it up as a bmp or something I think, and then after some comments from flyertalkers that it was fuzzy, reworked it to make it more readable). All the indicators are just total nonsense. Off the top of my head I remember excessive whistling, sweating, and leg shaking. And to show exactly what these people are actually worried about, one indicator is contempt for the screening process. Right. Right. A terrorist isn't going to go through smoothly and quietly, he's going to observe all the foolish things the clerks do and their violations of the rules and make a ruckus and call attention to himself. I think all the indicators are just random except for the ones designed to characterize disrespecting the clerk's authoritah as nefarious. The whole list was done in bad faith.
When does TSA do anything that isn't in bad faith? The entire SPOT program is a joke, and always has been.
Spiff, 84fiero and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by halls120
When does TSA do anything that isn't in bad faith? The entire SPOT program is a joke, and always has been.
Except the way it is used is not a joke.

Most travelers are probably guilty of at least one of the behaviors on TSA's absurd list, meaning TSA has legal grounds for targeting (fishing expedition or pure harassment) anyone.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Except the way it is used is not a joke.

Most travelers are probably guilty of at least one of the behaviors on TSA's absurd list, meaning TSA has legal grounds for targeting (fishing expedition or pure harassment) anyone.
And that's what it was designed to do - allow anyone to be harassed by TSA.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
And that's what it was designed to do - allow anyone to be harassed by TSA.
So why is it behavior detection screeners don’t harass me anymore when i take their photos?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knotyeagle

So why is it behavior detection screeners don’t harass me anymore when i take their photos?
Thought funding for the BDO program had been stopped.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thought funding for the BDO program had been stopped.
I still see them about 25% of the time at the larger TSA checkpoints.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/sanchezpaulk/fDw9k3
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by knotyeagle

I still see them about 25% of the time at the larger TSA checkpoints.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/sanchezpaulk/fDw9k3
It is highly likely that those gents in your picture are not BDOs. They look more like Inspectors or TSSEs (bomb guys).
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
It is highly likely that those gents in your picture are not BDOs. They look more like Inspectors or TSSEs (bomb guys).
It looks like it says something like "canine training" under the cloth badge of the guy in the foreground. I don't know why they would be just "standing around"...
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsoltso
When is the case going to trial or do you have a date set at this time?
It can't "go to trial" in this context. It's an original action in appellate court, and they don't have trials. (They do have oral arguments.)
Even that is not likely for a year or two at least, at best guess. It's been already going for a couple years and is barely started.

TSA has been steadfastly refusing to produce the record, there'll be a fight over whether I'm allowed to see the things they show the court, and there are some unrelated ancillary issues as well about e.g. whether I can get appointed counsel, etc etc. TSA has been obstructionist the whole way. Plus I'm challenging the court's authority to even hear the case, because I argue that 49 USC 46110(a), as applied, is unconstitutional - and that a correct reading of the statute shows that it doesn't even apply to TSA policies, only to the "orders" they give in actual administrative proceedings where you have a chance to participate (e.g. fines and such), and therefore it should be transferred to a district court (where it *can* go to trial, I can get discovery, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.