Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA allowing illegal migrants to fly without proper documents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA allowing illegal migrants to fly without proper documents

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
and the general public, for being gullible and paranoid enough to actually buy the lie. But I'm not going to lay this one at the feet of the airlines.
Speaking of which, the uproar at the TSA twitter site over this is both sad and comical, showing the gullibility and paranoia of the general public.
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Although the airlines certainly benefit from the ID requirement, I disagree that airline revenue protection is the sole purpose of the ID requirement.
You basically just explained why it's only for the airlines' benefit. The stated purpose from the TSA perspective is different, but the only practical purpose is to prevent ticket transfer.

Up until fairly recently you could even fabricate a BP that would get you past the checkpoint but not onto a plane. That would let you more easily match the ID to the BP and swap airside.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm inclined to agree with WillCAD on this. The airlines wanted it, but I think the real mover wasn't paranoid clowns at DHS, I think the real mover was the government's ever-expanding desire to monitor its citizens' every move. That's backed up by potential profits - verifying ID requires tools and tools mean profits for someone. Things like their special little 'black lights', probably priced at ten times the civilian cost and the cute little custom-made (for a price) podia for the TDCs to stand at. Behind the scenes, it requires airlines to feed data to TSA about pax - and TSA spends taxpayer dollars developing and maintaining massive databases of all this information.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
It's the Washington Examiner. If the story is true, it's purely by accident.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It would be significantly better for the public at large if TSA weren’t checking anyone for documents and instead skipped the whole “travel document check”/“ID verification” charade and instead just focus on screening passengers and belongings for prohibited weapons, explosives and incendiaries.

Have valid boarding pass? For government purposes, that should be enough of a document with which to get airside. Unfortunately, DHS/TSA and most of their fanbase doesn’t see it that way and so we get situations leading to complaints about what may seem to be inconsistency from the TSA in terms of what is required by the government to get airside even for domestic flights.
Spiff and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It would be significantly better for the public at large if TSA weren’t checking anyone for documents and instead skipped the whole “travel document check”/“ID verification” charade and instead just focus on screening passengers and belongings for prohibited weapons, explosives and incendiaries.

Have valid boarding pass? For government purposes, that should be enough of a document with which to get airside. Unfortunately, DHS/TSA and most of their fanbase doesn’t see it that way and so we get situations leading to complaints about what may seem to be inconsistency from the TSA in terms of what is required by the government to get airside even for domestic flights.
it is more difficult than it was but still not terribly difficult to spoof a BP for entry through the checkpoints. The TD/ID check point is also another opportunity for a bad actor to get tripped up/caught.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Section 107
it is more difficult than it was but still not terribly difficult to spoof a BP for entry through the checkpoints. The TD/ID check point is also another opportunity for a bad actor to get tripped up/caught.
The idea that a bad actor might be tripped up or caught by an ID check is ludicrous on its face.

Bad actors who are, by definition, involved in something illegal, immoral, or violent, prepare for the pressures of their bad actions enough that a simple ID check isn't going to throw them, even if they are traveling under forged papers or assumed identity.

I mean, it's not IMpossible, it COULD happen, it's a THEORETICAL possibility, you don't know, it MIGHT work, MAYBE... But for all practical intents and purposes, ID checks do nothing but keep honest people honest and increase profits for those who make money from false IDs. I've never heard of someone traveling under false ID (fugitive, criminal, smuggler, terrorist, or sex tourist) being caught by a TSA TDC. Or, for that matter, any other type of ID check.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Section 107
Torturing people also can be considered another opportunity for a “bad actor to get tripped up/caught”, but it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to have the US government to do so against any or all persons it encounters at a given place. Much the same goes for the TSA TDC check, a resource-wasting process which almost wholly trips up/catches non-terrorists whose presence on my flights — “bad actor” or not, if they were properly screened for weapons/explosives/incendiaries —ought to be less concerning than whether there will be a bunch of ESA cats next to a bunch of passengers with cat allergies.

The resources wasted — and they are wasted — on TSA TDC is money that could have been better spent on screening for explosives in particular.
petaluma1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.