Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:15 pm
Suspended

The iPhone is pretty secure if you set a secure password (even with touchID, it falls back to the strength of the password when turning it back of)

I turn it off before going through security.

I don't bring my personal laptop since I can get most of what I need done without it. If I needed to bring one, I'd probably get a chromebook from work - no data on the device.

They can image it of course, but they won't get much
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The following link has a good list of suggestions:

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 5, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The following link has a good list of suggestions:
Wiping smart mobile devices remotely.
It would seem prudent to have a colleague at the ready to be able to remotely nuke the phone or device. It would be easy to set up a "duress" word or phrase. But, I don't know how you would be able to make the call while being harassed by CBP unless you could do a 1-button speed dial. It would seem necessary to practice this technique in a more benign setting.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It would seem prudent to have a colleague at the ready to be able to remotely nuke the phone or device. It would be easy to set up a "duress" word or phrase. But, I don't know how you would be able to make the call while being harassed by CBP unless you could do a 1-button speed dial. It would seem necessary to practice this technique in a more benign setting.
An aide, with a pretty clean device, a few feet and other passengers behind the targeted passenger could trigger a remote wipe the moment they see a receiving party or a diversion to secondary of some sort. Of course the matter becomes more difficult to pull off if the commercial phone service signal/data connectivity is blocked or diverted in one way or another.

It’s just better to travel with a clean burner and pull a Putin.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:59 pm

Anyone here travels for work and bring work laptop along? Do you let those CBP <deleted by moderator> search them?

I work for the govt, and there was an article recently where CBP/TSA/whatever had the nerve to search a govt laptop. I think the employee got into some trouble for allowing that to happen too, whole device needs to be re-imaged and stuff.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 28, 2018 at 6:40 pm Reason: FT Rule 16: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:36 am

From a security standpoint, I will never let someone have access to my device whether it a laptop or phone if it has any data on it. Once you give access, they can copy private information, trade secrets, and infect the device for future access. There should be no trust assumed. Copying and infecting can even happen without direct knowledge if a hacker inserted himself somewhere. You can probably bet that the government or LEO does not practice good security.

There are ways to setup dual boot: have a computer boot into a 'fake' OS but keep your 'real' OS secure/encrypted and invisible. Or just wipe your device / carry an image that you can deploy that has no data but your programs and settings. At companies where employees or executives might have access to trade secrets, sensitive information, etc, companies will typically provide clean loaner devices for use while traveling across borders, especially into questionable countries. The device may be forensically examined upon return or simply wiped and loaned out again.

In terms of handing over passwords for social media, etc. Guess what, I dont have my passwords memorized. They are stored securely off-line, usually I dont carry them around.

Its pretty messed up that US Citizens can be subject to warrant-less search without an ounce of criminal wrongdoing.
Spiff and Yoshi212 like this.

Last edited by mysterym; May 6, 2019 at 12:39 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 10:47 am

All my electronics are encrypted. I always wipe my phone before traveling on the plane While few times demand been made for access to my electronic i always refuse. When they tell they will confiscate it, i always tell them go ahead but you will not gain access to it. They have yet to confiscate it.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mysterym
From a security standpoint, I will never let someone have access to my device whether it a laptop or phone if it has any data on it. Once you give access, they can copy private information, trade secrets, and infect the device for future access. There should be no trust assumed. Copying and infecting can even happen without direct knowledge if a hacker inserted himself somewhere. You can probably bet that the government or LEO does not practice good security.

There are ways to setup dual boot: have a computer boot into a 'fake' OS but keep your 'real' OS secure/encrypted and invisible. Or just wipe your device / carry an image that you can deploy that has no data but your programs and settings. At companies where employees or executives might have access to trade secrets, sensitive information, etc, companies will typically provide clean loaner devices for use while traveling across borders, especially into questionable countries. The device may be forensically examined upon return or simply wiped and loaned out again.

In terms of handing over passwords for social media, etc. Guess what, I dont have my passwords memorized. They are stored securely off-line, usually I dont carry them around.

Its pretty messed up that US Citizens can be subject to warrant-less search without an ounce of criminal wrongdoing.
A warrant-less search, like those done by TSA?
Old May 10, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
A warrant-less search, like those done by TSA?
Most of the searches of electronic devices are done via remote access, with or without a search warrant. CBP searches of devices taken into physical custody are a tiny sliver of searches done upon electronic devices in the US or coming (back) into the US.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Most of the searches of electronic devices are done via remote access, with or without a search warrant. CBP searches of devices taken into physical custody are a tiny sliver of searches done upon electronic devices in the US or coming (back) into the US.
What do you mean by remote access? Are you suggesting that both Android and Apple installed back door?
Old May 14, 2019, 5:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by looker001
Are you suggesting that both Android and Apple installed back door?
No, I'm suggesting that there remain ways to conduct remote searches of internet-connected devices without device owner's informed consent -- with or without the cooperation of the makers of the devices' operating system and/or of internet-connected devices using such operating systems.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by looker001
What do you mean by remote access? Are you suggesting that both Android and Apple installed back door?
If someone wants access, they will get access. There are many ways. Back door isn't necessarily one of them. There is a lot of interesting reading online. Israelis seem to be the ones that can work the magic in complicated situations.

What I would be more concerned about is handing over a device to someone not knowing what they could load, look at, save, etc. Then compounded by the fact that hackers could be lurking on the network, within the forensics environment, etc, and take data or implant themselves without either the device owner or searcher knowing.

Another factor is what you have stored in the cloud versus on the physical device. A lot of iPhone and Android data is now stored in the cloud. So you not only have to worry about protecting your physical device but how safe your data/access is on the cloud too (and whether an illegal or legal search could be done on the cloud part).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.