Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Protecting Electronic Devices and Stored Information from Customs Searches

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre

Interesting article about an incident at IAH. Seems that CBT has the power to search your phone but not the power to force you to unlock it?

I'm guessing that a GE member refusing to unlock a phone means GE status goes bye bye?

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/12/14...ump-travel-ban

Last edited by nrgiii; Feb 12, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
i saw that too. I have a trip abroad soon, and will perhaps delete or suspend social media accounts and messaging apps just to be cautious.

Last edited by mymilesandpoints; Feb 12, 2017 at 9:05 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
https://www.wired.com/2017/02/guide-...mbid=social_fb

This came up in my FB feed today. Some are a bit too far for me but I do have the autodelete function after 10 tries on my iPhone. Did backfire on me once when my nephew got his hands on it and pressed buttons until it reset.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Time to put back my 3310 into service to connect with people when on trips abroad.

Smartphones are for domestic use.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by redadeco
Time to put back my 3310 into service to connect with people when on trips abroad.

Smartphones are for domestic use.
Segregated devices work well enough, more so if they are used as client devices.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For years, I have thought about what I would do in this situation. As a USG Fed, I frequently travel overseas with my agency's IT property: a travel laptop and a smartphone. As was the case with the NASA guy, they are barcoded as well with my department's name on the barcode. A couple of years ago, I reached out to my department's CIO for guidance and the silence was deafening. There is also the factor that the IT stuff is signed out to me as accountable property.

Since I don't have GE, I don't know if you can register more than one passport in one account. I'm sure the JPL guy has two passport: A brown "Official" passport for his official NASA travel and a regular blue tourist passport. I'm purely speculating, but he could have been targeted because he used a passport that wasn't registered to his GE account?

Back on the subject, I decided that I would not submit to anything the CBP demanded for my accountable government property until I contacted my agency's CIO. This includes handing it over to them without the proper departmental personal property paperwork, turning it on and certainly includes divulging passwords. I wouldn't care if I stayed there until they blinked. There's simply not a chance that I am going to compromise government property and information, even for another government agency.

I just passed a copy of this article to our deputy CIO asking for guidance. Perhaps they will respond this time...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

Since I don't have GE, I don't know if you can register more than one passport in one account. I'm sure the JPL guy has two passport: A brown "Official" passport for his official NASA travel and a regular blue tourist passport. I'm purely speculating, but he could have been targeted because he used a passport that wasn't registered to his GE account?

I just passed a copy of this article to our deputy CIO asking for guidance. Perhaps they will respond this time...
One can register both an official and personal passport to GE.

Would be very interested in hearing your CIO's response/guidance.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrgiii
Interesting article about an incident at IAH. Seems that CBT has the power to search your phone but not the power to force you to unlock it?

I'm guessing that a GE member refusing to unlock a phone means GE status goes bye bye?

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/12/14...ump-travel-ban
I wouldn't be surprised if he was targeted due to concerns about leaking or selling "secrets" (or facilitating contacts that may be seeking to be in that market) with regard to one or more Asian country -- perhaps India specifically. Sometimes that is why certain people in the governmental sciences sector with Asian ethnicity and affiliations get selected for such searches.

It is within the realm of the routine for some FBI counter-espionage investigations to use the CBP as a means to further an investigation.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn't be surprised if he was targeted due to concerns about leaking or selling "secrets" (or facilitating contacts that may be seeking to be in that market) with regard to one or more Asian country -- perhaps India specifically. Sometimes that is why certain people in the governmental sciences sector with Asian ethnicity and affiliations get selected for such searches.

It is within the realm of the routine for some FBI counter-espionage investigations to use the CBP as a means to further an investigation.
Now, that actually makes some sense.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Now, that actually makes some sense.
Yes, and the pax might not have been the target of the investigation.....
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Originally Posted by Section 107
It would have made infinitely more sense for the Bureau to contact the NASA CI people (many of whom I know very well) and coordinate the proper thing to do. Most agencies (including mine) require you to bring your IT device to the Help Desk for scanning after an overseas trip. The CI folks could have simply done their thing back at JPL in a routine manner, nobody would have noticed and whoever needed the data would have gotten the date with their investigation still intact.

Instead, DHS decided to go "cowboy" and take matters into their own hands. This could have been a completely low-key and unnoticed investigation. Instead, it's now all over the internet.

Great job, CBP. You've lived down to your reputation and perhaps have blown a case (if there is one now or ever was a case) to smithereens.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
Still, the passenger may be a subjected party to the investigation. And even if the primary target of the investigation may be another person or group of persons, the person searched like this may well end up under substantial governmental pressure -- including to participate in entrapment/sting operations -- despite otherwise not having committed any serious crime.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It would have made infinitely more sense for the Bureau to contact the NASA CI people (many of whom I know very well) and coordinate the proper thing to do. Most agencies (including mine) require you to bring your IT device to the Help Desk for scanning after an overseas trip. The CI folks could have simply done their thing back at JPL in a routine manner, nobody would have noticed and whoever needed the data would have gotten the date with their investigation still intact.

Instead, DHS decided to go "cowboy" and take matters into their own hands. This could have been a completely low-key and unnoticed investigation. Instead, it's now all over the internet.

Great job, CBP. You've lived down to your reputation and perhaps have blown a case (if there is one now or ever was a case) to smithereens.
The DOJ/FBI do this kind of stuff and even mess up from time to time by getting CBP to do what CBP would otherwise not have done. If this is an FBI CI driven search, I would not point the finger of responsibility for this at the CBP, for the CBP is just being a tool for the DOJ/FBI.

I consider it a good thing for Americans to know what all the CBP does for other parts of the US government, including its role as a tool to be exploited for IRS or DOJ/FBI purposes using the border search as a way to do things that can't be legally done to those not crossing the US international borders.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 13, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
"Sterilizing" electronic equipment before coming thru CBP?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/13/us/cit...t-border-trnd/

I don't know about everyone else but having someone look thru personal electronics (computer/phone) feels worse than someone searching thru your home... I mean, all of our personal/financial details, including pictures, personal/work emails & files, social media, instant messages, phone logs, the whole 9 yards.

Our phones these days are basically encrypted and backed up to the cloud.. so if you get a new phone, mostly everything gets synched to it. However, after they force you to give up password to your phone, and take it away for 30 minutes, EVERYTHING gets copied off.

In light of this, does anyone think of possibly pre-planning what they would do to safeguard from this sort of intrusion into our personal lives?

Maybe we can start a list of the "practical" things we can protect ourselves with... Among the things I can think of...
  • Disconnect / uninstalling social media (fb/ig/twitter/linkedin/etc)
  • Disconnect / uninstalling work related stuffs (gmail)
  • Disconnect / uninstall / limit personal media (I would think that its fine to search thru 2-3 weeks worth of photos, but NOT cool to look thru 2-3 years)
  • Dropbox (Unsynch folders, uninstall from phone/notebook computer)

Me: US Citizen w/ Global Entry, Precheck, ABTC Card, int'l travel every 4-6 weeks (no Europe/middle east). I've earned my SSSS stripes coming back from Japan/Singapore/China trip so as I'm on the watchlist now, somewhat paranoid, lol.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:22 pm

It is weird nobody here mentions the obvious. He was targeted because he isn't "white American", whatever that is supposed to mean.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It is weird nobody here mentions the obvious. He was targeted because he isn't "white American", whatever that is supposed to mean.
There are a lot of people that aren't white but don't get that scrutiny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.