Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Will Airports now look to go private? (TSA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Now that the shutdown is over, do you think some airports will look at the option to privatize their security a la SFO? My thought it it would eliminate any headaches should another long-duration shutdown occur.

Any thoughts?
Spiff and GUWonder like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:58 am

Nope because security is a hassle. Much easier to blame the government if lines get long or an incident occurs.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No more than they were already thinking along those lines. Needed lots of passengers missing flights to get that dynamic moving which didn't happen.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it depends upon the ability of the local airport authority to strong-arm the local politicians who must make it happen.

One question: Did anyone fly through a contractor airport (SFO, MCI, ?) and a TSA-controlled airport and notice any differences? I know there are lots of other variables, but, did anything jump out at you?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Locally there doesn’t appear to be any serious discussion of going private at least none that has hit the news. SAT is relatively small and the news never reported or made a big deal of any delays. I would think if the airlines didn’t make a stink about security delays most local governments would rather stay out of the TSA security business.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Locally there doesn’t appear to be any serious discussion of going private at least none that has hit the news. SAT is relatively small and the news never reported or made a big deal of any delays. I would think if the airlines didn’t make a stink about security delays most local governments would rather stay out of the TSA security business.
Many in government —at all levels — love someone else to blame or scapegoat, and the airlines don’t want the blame either. And that’s why the TSA will not be so easy to get out of the airports.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I think it depends upon the ability of the local airport authority to strong-arm the local politicians who must make it happen.

One question: Did anyone fly through a contractor airport (SFO, MCI, ?) and a TSA-controlled airport and notice any differences? I know there are lots of other variables, but, did anything jump out at you?
I fly through MCI all the time, and did so at least 8x during the shutdown. Never a line at the Pre-Check area in terminal C (AA and startup carriers). I didn't experience any slowdowns at government-staffed TSA checkpoints in other cities either, however.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
That may not preclude the possibility of screening being impacted by a lapse in appropriations, though. TSA awards the contracts for contracted screeners under the Screening Partnership Program (SPP) and I assume uses appropriated funds for most or all of the contract costs. Hopefully TSA contracting folks award the contracts such that their annual periods of performance are offset from the fiscal-year cycle to help avoid the usual new-fiscal-year shutdown risks. Yet at some point in the year each contract will need to have the next year's screening services option funded. If the time to fund that next period happens to fall during a lapse in TSA appropriations, then the contractor operating under that particular contract would cease providing services until additional funding is appropriated. And private-sector contract employees can't be forced to work without pay.

Presumably the contracts for the airports involved in the SPP have annual service option periods that begin and end on different dates, so it's unlikely that every such airport would be affected simultaneously. But the SPP isn't a guarantee against all shutdown-related impacts.

Nor would it help the air traffic control staffing issues which are more likely to be the straw that breaks the camel's back, than passenger screening slowness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.