Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Californians Beware (RealID)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cheaptom
They won't know that the Bear symbol means it is a REAL ID.
The Real ID indicator is the star in the upper right corner, not the bear.

Old Jan 26, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom
I just got mine in CA. Nowhere on the new license/Real ID does it say "REAL ID" I'm wondering if I'm in another state and trying to go through security...to them it will look like a regular driver's license. They won't know that the Bear symbol means it is a REAL ID. So I imagine they'll swipe it through a machine. But with my wallet, the magnetic strips always get damaged or rubbed/scratched off. So I may be back to carrying my passport for even basic domestic flights.
The bear has a star on its butt -- I believe that star is the key RealID indicator, with states having different designs/colors/outlines surrounding it. I guarantee any TSA agent is going to know what symbols are valid, especially the star-in-a-bear-rear... from the most populous state.

In CA non-RealID licenses say "Federal Limits Apply" in that space, but of course older DLs don't have that (that corner is empty on mine). These days licenses are a lot more standardized (card style and security, how under-21 is indicated, etc) so should be pretty easy for anyone looking at it to accept; I remember long ago bars in some states not accepting licenses from other states because every one was a different form of laminated typed thing.

Last edited by jmastron; Jan 26, 2021 at 10:56 am Reason: Didn't mean to run afoul with an inappropriate term for butt!
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jmastron
The bear has a star on its butt .
I bet when we joined Flyertalk, nobody expected to be writing that sentence!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jmastron
The bear has a star on its butt -- I believe that star is the key RealID indicator, with states having different designs/colors/outlines surrounding it. I guarantee any TSA agent is going to know what symbols are valid, especially the star-in-a-bear-rear... from the most populous state.

In CA non-RealID licenses say "Federal Limits Apply" in that space, but of course older DLs don't have that (that corner is empty on mine). These days licenses are a lot more standardized (card style and security, how under-21 is indicated, etc) so should be pretty easy for anyone looking at it to accept; I remember long ago bars in some states not accepting licenses from other states because every one was a different form of laminated typed thing.
Given the difficulty they had in training the screener force to recognize and accept the various types of trusted traveler IDs, and even to a lesser extent US passport cards, I wouldn't guarantee that. Heck, there are still a large number of Americans who don't know that the District of Columbia, New Mexico, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands are all part of the United States!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.