FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Californians Beware (RealID) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/1950189-californians-beware-realid.html)

mauve Jan 9, 2019 7:45 pm

Californians Beware (RealID)

I read a few weeks ago that there was some issue with how California was verifying documents for RealID licenses, and it looks like TSA has not yet approved their application.

With the current shutdown, I wonder if they're even looking at things like this.

Upshot is that starting in twelve days, it's possible that no California IDs, even RealID licenses, will be accepted for air travel:

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...-22/1693905267

Boggie Dog Jan 9, 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30634643)
I read a few weeks ago that there was some issue with how California was verifying documents for RealID licenses, and it looks like TSA has not yet approved their application.

With the current shutdown, I wonder if they're even looking at things like this.

Upshot is that starting in twelve days, it's possible that no California IDs, even RealID licenses, will be accepted for air travel:

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...-22/1693905267

DMV granted extension for Real I.D. compliance, hours before deadline

Four month extension granted.

petaluma1 Jan 10, 2019 6:22 am

It seems as if DHS always blinks if pushed.

TBD Jan 10, 2019 6:27 am

We ought to be used to rolling delays by now. :)

TWA884 Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30634643)
Upshot is that starting in twelve days, it's possible that no California IDs, even RealID licenses, will be accepted for air travel

Previously issued California Real ID's are valid!
The New York Times:

Another Headache for California From the D.M.V., This Time Involving ‘Real ID’

The Department of Homeland Security notified officials at the California D.M.V. in November that its process for verifying residency before issuing identification cards — including driver’s licenses — did not meet federal requirements. California has already issued cards to 2.3 million individuals so far. The D.M.V., which did not immediately disclose that notification to the public, is now seeking to ease confusion among those affected.

The agency has said that Californians who received an ID this year do not have to have their cards reissued. But new applicants will need to show two forms of residency verification — instead of one — beginning this spring in order to receive a Real ID card.

But in November, the D.M.V. was told in a letter from the Department of Homeland Security that its system was not compliant with federal requirements. Beginning in April, individuals will have to provide two forms of proof of identity in person.

Enterprise-Record:
Q&A: Confused by REAL ID? You are not alone

Q: I renewed my license on Nov. 10 and was very happy to receive a new license a week later with the little golden bear in the upper right-hand corner. Beside my passport, I had two forms of documentation, an SSA-1099 and a car pink slip, both of which have my address which is what the Department of Homeland Security says is required. So I am caught between Uncle Sam and the California DMV. Do you think that this will get resolved before my next trip in August? Bob Hughes

A: Good gosh, yes. Anyone who currently holds a REAL ID license or identification card does not have to do anything. Read that again. You do not need to do anything.

As long as the card is valid, it will be accepted by the federal government when it implements the new requirement in October 2020. But you will need to supply the DMV with a second proof of California residency when your license is up for renewal. The DMV has been using the method originally approved by Homeland Security to collect one proof of California residency. Recently, DHS informed the DMV that the current method is no longer acceptable, so the state is adjusting to meet the revised requirement.

mauve Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30636940)
Previously issued California Real ID's are valid!

That's as of January 2. As of January 8, the word was maybe they wouldn't be. As of January 9, they are again, but another decision will be made in April.

I think it's likely that all licenses will end up working through 2020, but they aren't making this easy to follow.

MrAndy1369 Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

I remember seeing that all CA DL's, RealID or not, would be accepted through 2020 at airports? Am I missing something? :confused:

petaluma1 Jan 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post 30638134)
I remember seeing that all CA DL's, RealID or not, would be accepted through 2020 at airports? Am I missing something? :confused:

I believe ALL ID's, compliant or not, are being accepted through 2020 at airports. Federal buildings? I'm not certain.

mauve Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 (Post 30638134)

There was a brief question about this because California wasn't requiring a second document to verify residence. DHS told California that they needed to fix this or they would stop accepting California licenses in late January 2019.

California adjusted their procedures, but DHS dragged their feet on accepting the changes, probably because of the government shutdown. DHS has just extended their acceptance of California licenses, but officially only through April 2019.

If I had to bet, if the relevant DHS staff are still working, they will keep extending until the 2020 deadline, at which point RealID licenses from California will be accepted, and other California licenses won't be. If the government is still shutdown in April, who knows?

GUWonder Jan 11, 2019 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30639508)
There was a brief question about this because California wasn't requiring a second document to verify residence. DHS told California that they needed to fix this or they would stop accepting California licenses in late January 2019.

California adjusted their procedures, but DHS dragged their feet on accepting the changes, probably because of the government shutdown. DHS has just extended their acceptance of California licenses, but officially only through April 2019.

If I had to bet, if the relevant DHS staff are still working, they will keep extending until the 2020 deadline, at which point RealID licenses from California will be accepted, and other California licenses won't be. If the government is still shutdown in April, who knows?

DHS will almost certainly blink again on this in 2020 as it's the "wrong" year to have a lot of people out of money or missing flights due to TSA making worse ID stinks nationwide than the TSA already does.

It's too bad California doesn't attempt to push the matter even more against DHS, while also filing that it has mastery of determining who is a resident of the state and what constitutes as proof of residency for its own state even for purposes that touch upon federal matters.

Loose Cannon Jan 15, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1 (Post 30636118)
It seems as if DHS always blinks if pushed.

I imagine the DHS understands that as soon as someone who holds an air ticket is not allowed to fly because the driving licence is not REAL ID compliant, that person will have legal standing to sue.

TWA884 Jan 16, 2019 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30639508)

It has now been extended through October 1, 2020. In addition, previously issues CA Real ID's remain valid.
CA DMV gets last-minute extension for REAL ID

[T]he Department of Homeland Security approved an extension until October 1st of 2020 for Californians to comply. While homeland security continues to review the state’s “REAL ID” guidelines, the Department of Motor Vehicles confirmed anyone already having the cards that they are valid and can be used for federal purposes like checking into airport security when enforcement begins in 2020. A relief for applicants unsure about getting one.

TWA884 Apr 10, 2019 1:44 pm

The latest update:
Have a Real ID in California? You need to contact the DMV

Starting April 29, Californians applying for a Real ID card will have to provide two documents proving residency, DHS said in the letter. In December, DMV spokesperson Marty Greenstein said Real IDs issued before then will remain valid.

However, the more than 3 million people who have already gotten their Real IDs will have to submit a second document for proof of address before or when they renew their Real ID.

The DMV plans to send a letter to everyone affected by June 20, DHS said in the letter. Those affected can submit their additional documentation by mail, online or at a DMV field office.
Real IDs: Californians will soon be required to show 2 proofs of residency to get driver’s licenses

In addition to requiring extra proof of residency, the DMV will have until June 20 to notify more than 2.3 million Californians who already have Real IDs that they will have to provide another form of residency verification when they renew their licenses. That can be done electronically, by mail or in person.

mauve Apr 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30986370)
The latest update

And that's confusing as hell.

The state hasn't said if they'll be revoking the licenses of people who don't provide the information, or if they'll just not be RealIDs anymore, which is of course completely impractical.

And if they revoke licenses, will they tell people and reissue non RealID licenses, or will thousands of Californians end up on prison for driving on invalid licenses?

TWA884 Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mauve (Post 30989795)
And that's confusing as hell.

The state hasn't said if they'll be revoking the licenses of people who don't provide the information, or if they'll just not be RealIDs anymore, which is of course completely impractical.

And if they revoke licenses, will they tell people and reissue non RealID licenses, or will thousands of Californians end up on prison for driving on invalid licenses?

No one is getting their license revoked!

The licenses which were previously issued remain valid REAL ID's until their expiration dates. If people want their licenses renewed as REAL ID complaint, they will have to submit one more proof of residence before or at the time of renewal. That can be done in person, by mail or online.

The DMV will send a letter to all affected no later than June 20, 2019.

The DHS has approved this corrective action.