Explosive Trace Detection

Old Jul 26, 18, 6:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
Explosive Trace Detection

Can anybody interpret this ETD result:

petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 7:03 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,642
I can't interpret but from my observation of TSA ETD practices at DFW yesterday I would suspect the validity of these tests. My bag was pulled for extra screening, the culprit was a ziplock with some candy and cheese crackers. The screener took a used ETD swab and sampled the ziplock bag all while wearing gloves that were potentially already contaminated. I observed the exact same process by a different screener checking a ladies toaster snacks except he tested each wrapped package.

I would at a minimum require the screener to test their gloves for contamination before testing a travelers property and I question reusing test swabs at all.

Edit to add: Just a side note, all the concern over a bag of candy while my CPAP didn't get a seconds notice and my Kippy bag never came out of my bag.
petaluma1 likes this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 26, 18 at 7:27 am
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 7:10 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
I can't interpret but from my observation of TSA ETD practices at DFW yesterday I would suspect the validity of these tests. My bag was pulled for extra screening, the culprit was a ziplock with some candy and cheese crackers. The screener took a used ETD swab and sampled the ziplock bag all while wearing gloves that were potentially already contaminated. I observed the exact same process by a different screener checking a ladies toaster snacks except he tested each wrapped package.

I would at a minimum require the screener to test their gloves for contamination before testing a travelers property and I question reusing test swabs at all.
IF you have the presence of mind to do so, you should always require clean gloves and a clean swab before testing anything. Not always easy to do in the face of mass confusion at a checkpoint however.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 9:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,005
If anything it shows that the TSA might want to upgrade its printers. This looks like a dot matrix printout from 1985.
nancypants likes this.
Pesky Monkey is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 10:13 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,530
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
Can anybody interpret this ETD result:
Yes, it means someone used hand lotion.

That will be $211,235,386.26 please, TSA. TIA.
JoeBas is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:15 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,642
Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
IF you have the presence of mind to do so, you should always require clean gloves and a clean swab before testing anything. Not always easy to do in the face of mass confusion at a checkpoint however.
Well, when a person is gobsmacked at TSA idiocy some things slip by.
petaluma1 likes this.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 71
I've only had them recheck a bag due to that once. My carry on bag had ripped in Amsterdam airport and I bought a new bag after security check airside. In Atlanta they said their machines showed explosive trace but couldn't find anything and seeing I had a receipt for buying the bag airside and the tags were still attached (nothing sharp in my hand luggage) they waved me off.
I still haven't figured out how that bag could have been contaminated
linnet is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 6:21 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 574
Looks a little like NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) where you get visible peaks at certain values on a spectrum of spin states.
Those peaks might correspond to nitrates, which are common in explosives. Also in food preservatives.
Given that only around 1 set of luggage in 50 million is packed with explosives I think the whole charade is mostly for psychological effect.
nancypants likes this.
yandosan is offline  
Old Aug 19, 18, 9:35 am
  #9  
KDS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Posts: 550
https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/305180/

TSA TO THE RESCUE: It was reported this week that a TSA agent in Austin missed a passenger’s loaded gun. On the other hand, yesterday TSA agents took great pains to chemically analyze the small bag of kitty litter I had packed for the kitten I was transporting.
Sigh......grrrrrrr......
KDS is offline  
Old Aug 19, 18, 2:02 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,642
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
<a href="https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/305180/">https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/305180/</a><br /><br /><br /><br />Sigh......grrrrrrr......
<br />

Wonder how long it will take before the TSA Blog lists the miss like they do the finds?

TSA officer at Texas airport missed loaded gun, according to police reports
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Aug 21, 18, 7:47 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: PTY
Programs: UA Plat, CM nada
Posts: 451
Interesting, and admirable, reaction by the passenger. If that were to happen to me (I own no firearms), I casually leave the secure area and deal with it elsewhere.
YadiMolina is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:01 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 8,034
Originally Posted by YadiMolina View Post
Interesting, and admirable, reaction by the passenger. If that were to happen to me (I own no firearms), I casually leave the secure area and deal with it elsewhere.
If for some reason my firearm makes it to the TSA line without my knowledge I will consider it a supreme act of self stupidity, beg for mercy and consider the lost firearm a stupid tax. Any resolution that does not include a huge fine or jail time would be more than I deserve.
TSORon likes this.
InkUnderNails is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 5:47 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 13,707
Originally Posted by YadiMolina View Post
Interesting, and admirable, reaction by the passenger. If that were to happen to me (I own no firearms), I casually leave the secure area and deal with it elsewhere.
I don't know why people feel the need to self-incriminate when they make it through a TSA checkpoint with something? The simplest thing would have been for the guy to leave the secure area, go back to his car, hide the gun somewhere inside, and go through security again. Now, he runs the risk of a punitive TSA administrative fine. But, the good news is that it got a TSA clerk fired.

It was interesting that they fired the clerk instantly while sexual assaulters go unpunished. I guess he got fired for embarrassing the TSA.
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 6:03 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 18,642
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
I don't know why people feel the need to self-incriminate when they make it through a TSA checkpoint with something? The simplest thing would have been for the guy to leave the secure area, go back to his car, hide the gun somewhere inside, and go through security again. Now, he runs the risk of a punitive TSA administrative fine. But, the good news is that it got a TSA clerk fired.

It was interesting that they fired the clerk instantly while sexual assaulters go unpunished. I guess he got fired for embarrassing the TSA.
The screener is a government employee with union representation. Unless this person was in a probation period I wouldn't be to confident they stay fired.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 7:16 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,517
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
I don't know why people feel the need to self-incriminate when they make it through a TSA checkpoint with something? The simplest thing would have been for the guy to leave the secure area, go back to his car, hide the gun somewhere inside, and go through security again. Now, he runs the risk of a punitive TSA administrative fine. But, the good news is that it got a TSA clerk fired.

It was interesting that they fired the clerk instantly while sexual assaulters go unpunished. I guess he got fired for embarrassing the TSA.
Do we know he was fired instantly? This incident happened in June and we are just now learning of it.
petaluma1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: