Explosive Trace Detection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Explosive Trace Detection

Can anybody interpret this ETD result:

Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't interpret but from my observation of TSA ETD practices at DFW yesterday I would suspect the validity of these tests. My bag was pulled for extra screening, the culprit was a ziplock with some candy and cheese crackers. The screener took a used ETD swab and sampled the ziplock bag all while wearing gloves that were potentially already contaminated. I observed the exact same process by a different screener checking a ladies toaster snacks except he tested each wrapped package.

I would at a minimum require the screener to test their gloves for contamination before testing a travelers property and I question reusing test swabs at all.

Edit to add: Just a side note, all the concern over a bag of candy while my CPAP didn't get a seconds notice and my Kippy bag never came out of my bag.
petaluma1 likes this.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 26, 2018 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I can't interpret but from my observation of TSA ETD practices at DFW yesterday I would suspect the validity of these tests. My bag was pulled for extra screening, the culprit was a ziplock with some candy and cheese crackers. The screener took a used ETD swab and sampled the ziplock bag all while wearing gloves that were potentially already contaminated. I observed the exact same process by a different screener checking a ladies toaster snacks except he tested each wrapped package.

I would at a minimum require the screener to test their gloves for contamination before testing a travelers property and I question reusing test swabs at all.
IF you have the presence of mind to do so, you should always require clean gloves and a clean swab before testing anything. Not always easy to do in the face of mass confusion at a checkpoint however.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:46 am

If anything it shows that the TSA might want to upgrade its printers. This looks like a dot matrix printout from 1985.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Can anybody interpret this ETD result:
Yes, it means someone used hand lotion.

That will be $211,235,386.26 please, TSA. TIA.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
IF you have the presence of mind to do so, you should always require clean gloves and a clean swab before testing anything. Not always easy to do in the face of mass confusion at a checkpoint however.
Well, when a person is gobsmacked at TSA idiocy some things slip by.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:54 pm

I've only had them recheck a bag due to that once. My carry on bag had ripped in Amsterdam airport and I bought a new bag after security check airside. In Atlanta they said their machines showed explosive trace but couldn't find anything and seeing I had a receipt for buying the bag airside and the tags were still attached (nothing sharp in my hand luggage) they waved me off.
I still haven't figured out how that bag could have been contaminated
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:21 pm

Looks a little like NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) where you get visible peaks at certain values on a spectrum of spin states.
Those peaks might correspond to nitrates, which are common in explosives. Also in food preservatives.
Given that only around 1 set of luggage in 50 million is packed with explosives I think the whole charade is mostly for psychological effect.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:35 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/305180/

TSA TO THE RESCUE: It was reported this week that a TSA agent in Austin missed a passenger’s loaded gun. On the other hand, yesterday TSA agents took great pains to chemically analyze the small bag of kitty litter I had packed for the kitten I was transporting.
Sigh......grrrrrrr......
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS
<a href="https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/305180/">https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/305180/</a><br /><br /><br /><br />Sigh......grrrrrrr......
<br />

Wonder how long it will take before the TSA Blog lists the miss like they do the finds?

TSA officer at Texas airport missed loaded gun, according to police reports
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA
Interesting, and admirable, reaction by the passenger. If that were to happen to me (I own no firearms), I casually leave the secure area and deal with it elsewhere.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Interesting, and admirable, reaction by the passenger. If that were to happen to me (I own no firearms), I casually leave the secure area and deal with it elsewhere.
If for some reason my firearm makes it to the TSA line without my knowledge I will consider it a supreme act of self stupidity, beg for mercy and consider the lost firearm a stupid tax. Any resolution that does not include a huge fine or jail time would be more than I deserve.
TSORon likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I don't know why people feel the need to self-incriminate when they make it through a TSA checkpoint with something? The simplest thing would have been for the guy to leave the secure area, go back to his car, hide the gun somewhere inside, and go through security again. Now, he runs the risk of a punitive TSA administrative fine. But, the good news is that it got a TSA clerk fired.

It was interesting that they fired the clerk instantly while sexual assaulters go unpunished. I guess he got fired for embarrassing the TSA.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I don't know why people feel the need to self-incriminate when they make it through a TSA checkpoint with something? The simplest thing would have been for the guy to leave the secure area, go back to his car, hide the gun somewhere inside, and go through security again. Now, he runs the risk of a punitive TSA administrative fine. But, the good news is that it got a TSA clerk fired.

It was interesting that they fired the clerk instantly while sexual assaulters go unpunished. I guess he got fired for embarrassing the TSA.
The screener is a government employee with union representation. Unless this person was in a probation period I wouldn't be to confident they stay fired.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

Do we know he was fired instantly? This incident happened in June and we are just now learning of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.