Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Could/should the passport office send email reminders that PP will expire "soon"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could/should the passport office send email reminders that PP will expire "soon"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

There are threads re pax who have been delinquent in renewing their PP and need to renew ASAP. Why couldn't emails be sent (say) 6 months prior to expiration?
NYS DMV sends me an email two months before my inspection sticker for my car is set to expire, ditto for renewal of DL and car registration.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to Travel Safety/Security
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:39 pm

I think most of us are perfectly capable of being aware when our PPs are about to expire. I surely will not give the USG my email. If I do, it'll be a burner.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingmango
I think most of us are perfectly capable of being aware when our PPs are about to expire. I surely will not give the USG my email. If I do, it'll be a burner.
The reason I started this thread was related to a thread on DL Forum, a pax needed advice re intl travel and a PP was about to expire. We FTers would never make such a mistake
To deal with SSA (an agency of the USG) you do have to give them your email address.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by nrr
Why couldn't emails be sent (say) 6 months prior to expiration?
Passports are not a necessity when you compare to State ID/DLs.

Per State Department's data, 154,065,148 Passports (book/card) were issued over the last 10 years, which is accounted for about 47% of today's estimated U.S. population.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung

Per State Department's data, 154,065,148 Passports (book/card) were issued over the last 10 years, which is accounted for about 47% of today's estimated U.S. population.
My credit card company seems very capable of sending out numerous emails and I bet they have issued more cards than the government has issued passports.

It might be an optional service that some would like having.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
My credit card company seems very capable of sending out numerous emails and I bet they have issued more cards than the government has issued passports.
FWIW - somehow you are correct that credit cards are more important than passports.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

That 47% number is a big overstatement of the actual percentage. A substantial proportion of those 154M US passports were valid for 5 years or less with some of the citizen/citizen’s parents/guardians getting the US passports more often than even just twice in ten years.

My passports are more a necessity than my state ID/DL, but for majority it’s the latter that is.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Since PPs expire every 10 years there are 12 months/year, they would have to notify (approx.) 1.3 million/month pax. This shouldn't be a difficult programming operation.
[Most of my CCs have just send mass emailings re privacy issues...]
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That 47% number is a big overstatement of the actual percentage. A substantial proportion of those 154M US passports were valid for 5 years or less with some of the citizen/citizen’s parents/guardians getting the US passports more often than even just twice in ten years.
I know it is an overstatement. However, given the State Department's statistics on issuance are based on the number of passports issued rather than on the persons, I have to state the statistics in an objective way even it has to overstate.

FWIW - I believe only 20% or less of all U.S. citizens/nationals have U.S. passports.

Originally Posted by nrr
Since PPs expire every 10 years there are 12 months/year, they would have to notify (approx.) 1.3 million/month pax. This shouldn't be a difficult programming operation.
You will have to ask the Congress to appropriate the funding.

Unlike financial institutions, a government entity can't do anything simply because it sees fit to do so.

Also - the privacy thing is mandated by, again, law.

Bottom line - When you think simple, the reality is it is actually more complicated than you think if the State Department wants to send out renewal emails.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:59 pm

Whuffo? The expiry date is on page 2.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
Many people dread additional contact from los federales,

Personally, I dont want government email more than minimally required, and a passport expiration email would be just more junk as far as I am concerned.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:05 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Re privacy issues and being adverse to letting the gov't have your email address:
When you apply for a pp (or renewal), you are given the option of being notified 6 months before pp expires,
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Re privacy issues and being adverse to letting the gov't have your email address:
When you apply for a pp (or renewal), you are given the option of being notified 6 months before pp expires,
It is not mentioned in the application. The applications only state:

"If you choose to provide your email address in Item #6 on this application, Passport Services may use that information to contact you in the event there is a problem with your application or if you need to provide information to us."

Where do you see that?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It is not mentioned in the application. The applications only state:

"If you choose to provide your email address in Item #6 on this application, Passport Services may use that information to contact you in the event there is a problem with your application or if you need to provide information to us."

Where do you see that?
I was proposing that they give you an option to be notified of PP expiration...it doesn't exist yet.
There are two fields on PP DS-82: SS# and EMAIL, unless you read the instructions carefully, it would seem that both of these are required; so applicants who didn't want their PP application to be delayed would probably leave neither blank. [What they do with SS$s is described in some detail.]

Last edited by nrr; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.