Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passenger with broken wrist denied boarding due to "explosive residue"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with broken wrist denied boarding due to "explosive residue"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The idea is reasonable--you probably drove to where you parked.

There should be two exceptions, though:

Not in a bar parking lot and not if the engine is cold.

There have been actual explosive detections. No threat, though--just bags that were handled by people who handle explosives.
And yet they missed five pounds of C4 in a bag in which they had already discovered a smoke grenade.

Explosive detections. Ha! TSA is virtually useless in detecting actual explosives.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

There have been actual explosive detections. No threat, though--just bags that were handled by people who handle explosives.
That's explosive residue, not actual explosives.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
That's explosive residue, not actual explosives.
But that's what the machines are built to detect. I won't fault them for that.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: RFC
But that's what the machines are built to detect. I won't fault them for that.
I will. Explosives residue doesn't make planes fall out of the sky.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:26 pm

The idea is reasonable--you probably drove to where you parked.

There should be two exceptions, though:

Not in a bar parking lot and not if the engine is cold.
Make that three: if you live in your car, like I did for two years.

Engines can take quite a while to cool down too. Mine takes 4 hours.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by petaluma1
What a horribly written piece!

"Dr.lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding"

It should be Lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding, M.D.

"I12Biology, virginia Military Institute"

Makes one wonder if this is a piece of misinformation from the Russians!
For the record, it seems the bio was from OMICS International, which is apparently 1) India-based (explaining some of the very poor grammar/language) and 2) is accused of unethical publishing practices and was actually sued by the US federal government. Her real bio can be found here: Faculty and Staff - Biology - Virginia Military Institute

On the ETD being built to detect / not detect certain particulates, to Loren Pechtel's point, it's doing what it was designed to do. The real question should be what TSA should do to verify the innocuousness of a person's cast (or whatever else) when residue is detected. "Let's try the same thing again" is not really a solution to the problem.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
For the record, it seems the bio was from OMICS International, which is apparently 1) India-based (explaining some of the very poor grammar/language) and 2) is accused of unethical publishing practices and was actually sued by the US federal government. Her real bio can be found here: Faculty and Staff - Biology - Virginia Military Institute

On the ETD being built to detect / not detect certain particulates, to Loren Pechtel's point, it's doing what it was designed to do. The real question should be what TSA should do to verify the innocuousness of a person's cast (or whatever else) when residue is detected. "Let's try the same thing again" is not really a solution to the problem.
Interestingly, I recall clicking on the link you provided. I must have been redirected to the Indian site. I don't remember if it was from thee search engine or somewhere else. The link worked fine just a minute ago.

To your second point, I'm sure many of us fondly remember the CastScope back in the days when the TSA gladly irradiated the flying public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.