Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passenger with broken wrist denied boarding due to "explosive residue"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger with broken wrist denied boarding due to "explosive residue"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
Does anyone have a better option for screening the cast once it alarms? Unwrapping it is a bad idea, but if it alarms the (notoriously over-inclusive ETD machine), what can the screeners do to rule out the presence of explosives? I don't like the conclusion of this story better than anyone who has posted in this thread, but I'm not sure I have a better solution that wouldn't allow a cast made of explosives to fly.
I don't disagree. Run a defibrillator over it? Destroying a required piece of medical equipment (removing the cast) isn't the answer, but it sure looks like TSA thinks their current non solution actually works.
I find it hard to believe you couldn't couple the ability to detect certain substances with the ability to accurate estimate sufficiently dangerous masses of it.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 4:16 pm

"Can anyone speak to the quantitative abilities of these screening devices? Can they detect "magnitudes" of anything? Or is it just detected / not detected?"

Great question. I've done work with MALDI-TOF and PCR and these techniques (Nobel prize stuff) can detect just one molecule. I am still annoyed after being harassed over invisible "heroin residue" in Australia and was asking the same question.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meet Your Terrorist

I thought everybody would like to meet the broken wrist terrorist:

Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

The bio of this person is confusing. By appearance and name Dr. Anne seems female, but the bio says: "His research interests includes...." "He /she is serving..." "He/ She has successfully completed his Administrative responsibilities. He /she has authored of many research articles/".

Is this some weird new way to be gender neutral? Or did the bio writer just not know the person's gender. odd and clumsy....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

What a horribly written piece!

"Dr.lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding"

It should be Lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding, M.D.

"I12Biology, virginia Military Institute"

Makes one wonder if this is a piece of misinformation from the Russians!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by petaluma1
What a horribly written piece!

"Dr.lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding"

It should be Lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding, M.D.

"I12Biology, virginia Military Institute"

Makes one wonder if this is a piece of misinformation from the Russians!
She's a Ph. D., not an M.D.
Faculty and Staff

Lieutenant Colonel Anne B. Alerding. Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Ph.D. - Pennsylvania State University
Specialty: Plant Biology
301F Maury-Brooke Hall
The bio page linked from the departmental directory page is written much better.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:38 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Ari
Does anyone have a better option for screening the cast once it alarms? Unwrapping it is a bad idea, but if it alarms the (notoriously over-inclusive ETD machine), what can the screeners do to rule out the presence of explosives? I don't like the conclusion of this story better than anyone who has posted in this thread, but I'm not sure I have a better solution that wouldn't allow a cast made of explosives to fly.
What can they do? Recognise that the uncalibrated and unmaintained TSA machines don't test for "explosives", they test for nitrate and phosphate concentrations. They could assess the totality of facts. They could check easily for any sign of equipment or materials that could be a detonator. They could be properly trained and properly equipped to actual conduct a search.

This is not a situation where the passenger has to prove they are innocent. This is a situation where the screeners have to show the passenger *is* carrying actual explosives. Explosive residue is not a threat in and of itself.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
What can they do? Recognise that the uncalibrated and unmaintained TSA machines don't test for "explosives", they test for nitrate and phosphate concentrations. They could assess the totality of facts. They could check easily for any sign of equipment or materials that could be a detonator. They could be properly trained and properly equipped to actual conduct a search.

This is not a situation where the passenger has to prove they are innocent. This is a situation where the screeners have to show the passenger *is* carrying actual explosives. Explosive residue is not a threat in and of itself.
However, the TSA sees each individual passenger as if that person were a terrorist and he/she must prove innocence. That's probably the biggest reason that TSA is so despised by passengers. If they would change their philosophy, maybe that would change and maybe they would improve their fail rate in testing.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by studentff
The burden of proof must be on TSA to prove that the item is a threat not on the passenger to prove that their person/property is not a threat. ETD alarm is clearly not probable cause for an arrest given the false positive rate. Banning a passenger based on an ETD alarm and nothing else sounds like a traffic cop charging a person with DUI based on smelling alcohol in a parked car with no breath test, blood test, impaired driving, or other evidence of DUI.
Lots of people are arrested for drunk driving while in parked cars. The argument is that if you have access to keys, you could drive the vehicle while drunk.
https://www.georgiacriminaldefense.c...st/parked-car/
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ga_girl
Lots of people are arrested for drunk driving while in parked cars. The argument is that if you have access to keys, you could drive the vehicle while drunk.

Well, DUI laws are the most Unconstitutional laws I can think of.. Violations of the 4th and 5th and even 6th Amendments (face your accuser/BAC). In fact, you don't have to be drunk OR driving to get a drunk driving conviction these days. So if that is their model it's no wonder TSA is so out of touch with normal "security" measures, and so unpopular..
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

However, they are drunk and are arrested because they are certifiably drunk. That's totally different than TSA accusing one of harboring explosives based on a flawed testing procedure.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue is that TSA's ETD machines don't detect just explosives and all ETD alarms to my knowledge have been false alarms. Bottom line, TSA is conducting a sceening test that is completely unsuitable for passenger screening.
nachtnebel and petaluma1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What annoys me the most is the drivel from the TSA Spokeshole in which they state that some people with new casts will simply not be allowed to fly. Where is the outrage over a statement such as this??? If Congress, the WH and the main stream media would put even 10% of the effort they go through to bash or praise Trump, this wouldn't be a problem. A lot of other TSA travesties wouldn't be problems, either.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The idea is reasonable--you probably drove to where you parked.

There should be two exceptions, though:

Not in a bar parking lot and not if the engine is cold.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The issue is that TSA's ETD machines don't detect just explosives and all ETD alarms to my knowledge have been false alarms. Bottom line, TSA is conducting a sceening test that is completely unsuitable for passenger screening.
There have been actual explosive detections. No threat, though--just bags that were handled by people who handle explosives.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 16, 2018 at 8:59 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: RFC

Well, to be fair, most terrorism in the US *is* committed by white people, so +1 to TSA for at least getting the race right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.