TSA Fails Most Tests

Old Nov 23, 17, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
If Pres are supposedly trusted travelers, why are they being sent past the dog?
If trusted, why are they being screened at all?

Oh, they're "trusted", but not that trusted. Right.
Old Nov 24, 17, 7:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
So I went to work on Tuesday (I work at the airport on Tuesdays). There, taped to the desk, is a handout from the TSA asking for volunteers to participate in their National Explosives Detection Canine Team Program (NEDCTP). Apparently, they want upstanding citizens to volunteer to serve as decoy travelers and have limited amount of explosive training material on their individuals or in their baggage and walk through the airport environment as a terrorist role player. They wanted badge airport employees, persons that are able to walk/stand, have no mental or emotional issues, and read/write English among a few other conditions.

I am thinking I won't be volunteering anytime soon even though this program is a vital program that "exists to deter and detect the introduction of explosive devices into the transportation system."
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr View Post
So I went to work on Tuesday (I work at the airport on Tuesdays). There, taped to the desk, is a handout from the TSA asking for volunteers to participate in their National Explosives Detection Canine Team Program (NEDCTP). Apparently, they want upstanding citizens to volunteer to serve as decoy travelers and have limited amount of explosive training material on their individuals or in their baggage and walk through the airport environment as a terrorist role player. They wanted badge airport employees, persons that are able to walk/stand, have no mental or emotional issues, and read/write English among a few other conditions.

I am thinking I won't be volunteering anytime soon even though this program is a vital program that "exists to deter and detect the introduction of explosive devices into the transportation system."
I'd be concerned with being trampled by passengers when the dog indicates you are carrying explosives.
Old Nov 25, 17, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1 View Post
I'd be concerned with being trampled by passengers when the dog indicates you are carrying explosives.
I "tested positive" for explosive residues at LHR earlier this year. I raised an eyebrow, the security screener just rolled their eyes, made a comment about the technology, and tested me again. Second time it was negative.

Presumably the dogs have a false positive rate too?
Old Nov 26, 17, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
I "tested positive" for explosive residues at LHR earlier this year. I raised an eyebrow, the security screener just rolled their eyes, made a comment about the technology, and tested me again. Second time it was negative.

Presumably the dogs have a false positive rate too?
I believe there was a comment in another thread from someone on whom the dog alerted, but nothing came of it, IIRC. At least the dogs don't seem to alert on hand lotions and soaps containing glycerin or fertilizers.
Old Nov 27, 17, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr View Post

Jeepers -- These are more stringent than the requirements to become a TSA clerk!
HawaiiTrvlr likes this.
Old Jan 12, 18, 10:42 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Let's give credit where credit is due.

TSA stopped a "gun" at the checkpoint:
Texas Tech student questioned by TSA for brandishing school's 'finger gun' salute | Fox News

TSA continues to display amazing prowess.
Old Jan 12, 18, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDS View Post

Texas Tech student questioned by TSA for brandishing school's 'finger gun' salute Fox News

College symbology, no wonder TSA screeners didn't understand.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Texas Tech student questioned by TSA for brandishing school's 'finger gun' salute Fox News

That's right up there with the sock puppet gun.
Old Jan 13, 18, 6:49 am

Programs: AA - Platinum, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, SPG - Gold, National - Exec, NEXUS
"You can't do that in an airport."

I would be using a different finger salute if I was told that.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if this counts towards the weekly gun total on Propaganda Village? Was her gun loaded or not?
Old Jan 15, 18, 9:47 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much View Post
I wonder if this counts towards the weekly gun total on Propaganda Village? Was her gun loaded or not?
Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to being screened?
Old Jan 22, 18, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to being screened?
In all fairness, the type of screening I'm getting irritated at constantly getting at IAH is akin to a service you pay good money to attractive ladies (or guys) for in more conducive environments.
iluv2fly likes this.