Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OMG [TSA self congratulations]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Of all the complaints I have with TSA ... this is not one of them.

"Yes, Ms. Screener, I understand that this bottle says that it's 7 ounces. But you can clearly see that it's only 45% full, which means that it's really only 3.15 ounces, which is obviously less than the 3.4 ounces allowed."

Do we really want TSA screeners performing volumetric measurements and higher mathematics as a part of the screening process? (You think screening is slow *now* ...)

Or, worse ... would you like to see TSA congratulating itself (yay, back on topic!) for confiscating an LGA container because the screener correctly calculated that the container held 3.5 ounces of liquid?

The rule is stupid, but it's easy to enforce.
So TSA should dumb down screening procedures so it's easy for them, kinda like public schools.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So TSA should dumb down screening procedures so it's easy for them, kinda like public schools.
I'll leave the gratuitous insult directed at public schools alone.

Of course TSA should simplify its screening procedures. It's been made perfectly clear in these forums that TSA screeners simply cannot keep up with the myriad of rules that TSA imposes. (Liquids. Medical liquids. Medical equipment. Cremains. Children. Passengers with disabilities. Breast milk. Tools. Identity papers. And so on.) Self-congratulatory attempts (back on thread!) at re-training do not seem to affect the frequency of rule violations reported here and elsewhere.

The logical alternative is to simplify the rules. The fewer rules that have to be enforced, the more likely that each rule will be followed correctly.

And if the rules are simple and few, then maybe it'll be less likely that TSA will congratulate itself (back on thread!) for simply doing its job.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Of all the complaints I have with TSA ... this is not one of them.

"Yes, Ms. Screener, I understand that this bottle says that it's 7 ounces. But you can clearly see that it's only 45% full, which means that it's really only 3.15 ounces, which is obviously less than the 3.4 ounces allowed."

Do we really want TSA screeners performing volumetric measurements and higher mathematics as a part of the screening process? (You think screening is slow *now* ...)

Or, worse ... would you like to see TSA congratulating itself (yay, back on topic!) for confiscating an LGA container because the screener correctly calculated that the container held 3.5 ounces of liquid?

The rule is stupid, but it's easy to enforce.
Sure, their policy says no liquids above 3.4 oz. I get that. Stupid rule but I get it. But my nearly empty tube of toothepaste shouldnt get more than a glance. The end was tightly rolled up to make it easier to squeeze the last few uses out of it. It isn't like it was half empty. By the way, I checked and the packaging says it is 4.5oz when brand new.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'll leave the gratuitous insult directed at public schools alone.

Of course TSA should simplify its screening procedures. It's been made perfectly clear in these forums that TSA screeners simply cannot keep up with the myriad of rules that TSA imposes. (Liquids. Medical liquids. Medical equipment. Cremains. Children. Passengers with disabilities. Breast milk. Tools. Identity papers. And so on.) Self-congratulatory attempts (back on thread!) at re-training do not seem to affect the frequency of rule violations reported here and elsewhere.

The logical alternative is to simplify the rules. The fewer rules that have to be enforced, the more likely that each rule will be followed correctly.

And if the rules are simple and few, then maybe it'll be less likely that TSA will congratulate itself (back on thread!) for simply doing its job.
(bolding mine)

That may be the logical alternative, but we are talking TSA. They are currently simplifying the rules, but I don't think the results are satisfactory, from either a pax or true security standpoint.

'Screener discretion', ie, all screeners have the right to confiscate anything at any time with no better justification than 'final say', is a failure.

There is now effectively only one rule: the screener always has the final say. You can't get much simpler than that. TSOs use their 'final say' to confiscate granola bars and breast milk - but I believe the 95% test failure rate and the obsession with genitals shows how well that's working.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

There is now effectively only one rule: the screener always has the final say. You can't get much simpler than that. TSOs use their 'final say' to confiscate granola bars and breast milk - but I believe the 95% test failure rate and the obsession with genitals shows how well that's working.
I totally agree that's what it has come down to: 45,000 screeners means 45,000 different rules.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
There is now effectively only one rule: the screener always has the final say.
It's not "now" the only one rule. It's always been the only rule.

I used to spend plenty of time posting in this forum a line from one of TSA's early lists of permitted and prohibited items:

To ensure traveler’s security, transportation security officers (TSOs)
may determine that an item not on the prohibited items chart
is prohibited. In addition, the TSO may also determine that
an item on the permitted chart is dangerous and therefore
may not be brought through the security checkpoint.
I gave up ... I got busy, I got bored, I got tired, take your pick.

Screener discretion has always been the only rule that matters.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I totally agree that's what it has come down to: 45,000 screeners means 45,000 different rules.
The number is way higher than 45,000. Which rule used will depend on the screeners mood, how well a traveler submits to any abuse dished out, keeping ones eyes averted and so on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.