Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Now Requires Separate Screening of Electronic Devices Larger than Cellphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Now Requires Separate Screening of Electronic Devices Larger than Cellphones

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Just through security (transborder) at YYC. My iPad and Kobo were permitted to stay in my carry-on. It's CATSA, I know, but the airlines have been telling everyone up here that everything larger than a cell phone had to come out. CATSA folks were cool with doing it the normal way.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
What about smartphones with very large screens, like an iPhone 7 Plus? Will those be affected, as the wording was kind of vague. I typically travel with a Canon A590IS point and shoot camera, an iPhone 7 Plus, and sometimes an iPad 2. I don't usually have PreCheck, so I am wondering how this will affect me? Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by whitearrow
You've been saying that since the ME restrictions were rolled out. What you haven't focused on at all is the huge economic disaster this would be for the airlines (and hotels, and tourism locations) with both business and leisure travelers. Want to bring a laptop (no matter how light and thin?) You can't bring the projector you need to show your presentation. Want to bring an iPad on vacation to watch movies on the plane? Can't bring a Kindle e-reader to read on the beach. Want to bring an external battery? Too bad, you can't bring the thing you want to plug it in to.

It's completely ridiculous, impractical, and will destroy the airlines -- all for a threat that hasn't been proved to exist at all, much less on domestic flights between Orlando and Minneapolis or Los Angeles and Maui or wherever.
Yes I have been saying that for a while as well. I also recognize that the impact would be fairly bad on many business. However, it also would also create new businesses out of it. Not that that is a good thing.

The threat that they are addressing is a real threat. The likelihood of it actually occurring is extremely low. I would guess that the odds are somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 in a 100 million, or something close to that. The reaction is way worse than the threat. But that is how TSA has worked from almost day one. Overreact to every threat. The liquid ban was based on legitimate risk, the reaction to it was where they went off the rails. Same thing will occur here.

Do i think limiting electronics is a good thing. No. Do I think TSA thinks it is a good thing. Yes. They have to create a story to get what they want. By backing up the lines quite a bit, you end up with angry passengers who are complaining. TSA comes out and says folks are bringing too many electrical items through the checkpoint. They encourage folks to bring fewer items with them. The lines stay long. TSA comes out and says that the lines are not manageable, and in order to make the lines manageable, they impose limitations, and point out (spin) that they are reasonable for the average traveler. They acknowledge that some travelers may be inconvenienced by these restrictions. Maybe they exempt PreCheck from the limitations. (sell more of these) The end result is a limitation on the electronics. (fewer electronics may actual help their numbers in terms of finding the red team stuff, but then again probably not). The news gets some folks at the airport with the "anything for safety" speak, and some other folks stating that the restrictions are reasonable in their view. And before we know it, this becomes the new norm.

Do i want to see this happen. Absolutely not. Do i believe it will happen. more likely than not.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Its buried in the story about the increased security for flights into the US. Specifically, that by the Fall airlines must have a plan in place to interview passengers prior to boarding. .
As far as I know, except for flights going through pre-clearance in Canada, I've always been interviewed on a US-bound flight, going back decades.

So, two problems here. One, there already are interviews for US-bound flights. Second, it has zero to do with TSA, and zero to do with domestic flights.

If they want to go back to the stupidity of 20 years ago where ticket agents and gate agents asked you a couple of questions before giving you your boarding pass, then the airlines can say goodbye to kiosks and on-line check-in. Which their business models depend 100% on these days.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Canada has similar rules even in the Trusted Traveler lanes. It's not explicitly required, but if I don't remove all large electronics and some chargers the size of/smaller than a smartphone, my bag will get to secondary, swabbed, some of the chargers divested to a bin, and re-scanned. This occurred earlier this year and last year before the US directed foreign ports of departure to implement such measures explicitly.

I've been told that the Precheck lanes have a minimum quality for X-Ray than general screening lanes (e.g. higher resolution/clearer image) but I have no idea if that's true or not. I was told this at a small airport in the midwest where the agents are polite and generally thorough as to why they gave Precheck light instead of Pre treatment when one line was open and I was the only person in it...
I fly out of YVR regularly and I swear security at Canadian airports even for the trusted traveler lanes is the most stringent I've ever seen. They're extremely slow and on one trip where I spent 1 night only they scanned my bag 4 times. I had a pair of gym shorts, gym shoes, and a change of work clothes and that was it. The worst part is that it's just a single line and my coworker who went through the regular line was waiting for me at the end.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Korean Air, Emirates FF, Mariott, IHG, Hilton
Interesting, I didn't realise this wasn't the case as I've always been told to separate these belongings. I've had to put my ipad and laptop in their own bins. It's frustrating having to take so much stuff out of my carryon but *shrug* I thought it was the same all around.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by catocony
As far as I know, except for flights going through pre-clearance in Canada, I've always been interviewed on a US-bound flight, going back decades.

So, two problems here. One, there already are interviews for US-bound flights. Second, it has zero to do with TSA, and zero to do with domestic flights.

If they want to go back to the stupidity of 20 years ago where ticket agents and gate agents asked you a couple of questions before giving you your boarding pass, then the airlines can say goodbye to kiosks and on-line check-in. Which their business models depend 100% on these days.
I never flown to/through Canada so I can't speak for that, but I never get questioned upon exit outside of the US. Nowhere in Asia have I ever been questioned for a US bound flight. Ever, and that's with 150k miles per year.

Now the airlines on the other hand, some ask questions. Asiana is the worst, but they've been burned by people without valid visas and since I'm a visaholder I always get at least a question or two, but that's so they don't get dinged if I end up being someone who can't enter the country.

Even leaving the US I rarely if ever get questioned. Entering, the most personal question I've ever been asked is "what do you do for a living." Entering other countries at least in Asia I never get questioned. Frankfurt asks a lot of questions though.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Would that mean that:

a) laptop
b) iPad
c) battery pack

Would have to be placed in separate bins each? If so, that's a major PITA :\ hoping I can just put them in the same bin, or at least the iPad and battery pack in the same bin.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Would that mean that:

a) laptop
b) iPad
c) battery pack

Would have to be placed in separate bins each? If so, that's a major PITA :\ hoping I can just put them in the same bin, or at least the iPad and battery pack in the same bin.
You can't see where the three of those devices practically on top of each other in a bag would make it more difficult to see the details of each individual piece on the x-ray? The bins are certainly large enough for an ipad and battery pack to lie flat next to each other, not on top of each other.

I have no issues with taking my ipad out of my bag. It takes 10 seconds. I do have issue with flight crew using crew lanes and maybe one out of ten getting pulled for random search.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
So for the Spousal Unit's camera kit, does each lens need its own bin? (Common for him to pack 3-4 additional lenses as well as the one on the camera back.)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Another reason TSA XTortion (i mean PreCheck) is worth every penny. I was just telling someone at work, "If you skip a week of Starbucks every year, it's paid for." He is just starting to cultivate some wanderlust as his kids have left the house, and he's going for Global Entry at my recommendation.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gsoltso
"As new procedures are phased in, TSA officers will begin to ask travelers to remove electronics larger than a cell phone from their carry-on bags and place them in a bin with nothing on top or below, similar to how laptops have been screened for years. This simple step helps TSA officers obtain a clearer X-ray image.

It is possible that passengers may experience more bag checks, however, through extensive testing, TSA identified ways to improve screening procedures with quicker and more targeted measures to clear the bags. The new screening procedures in standard lanes are already in place at the following 10 U.S. airports with plans to expand to all airports during the weeks and months ahead:
•Boise Airport (BOI)
•Colorado Springs Airport (COS)
•Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
•Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
•Logan International Airport (BOS)
•Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
•Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport (LBB)
•Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport (SJU)
•McCarran International Airport (LAS)
•Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)

In standard screening lanes, TSA officers will be stationed in front of the checkpoint X-ray machines to guide passengers through the screening process and recommend how best to arrange their carry-on items for X-ray screening. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving. There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint; food and liquid items that comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule, electronics, and books continue to be allowed in carry-on bags."

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...urity-measures
It's not a big deal on its face
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by warrenw
I never flown to/through Canada so I can't speak for that, but I never get questioned upon exit outside of the US. Nowhere in Asia have I ever been questioned for a US bound flight. Ever, and that's with 150k miles per year.

Now the airlines on the other hand, some ask questions. Asiana is the worst, but they've been burned by people without valid visas and since I'm a visaholder I always get at least a question or two, but that's so they don't get dinged if I end up being someone who can't enter the country.

Even leaving the US I rarely if ever get questioned. Entering, the most personal question I've ever been asked is "what do you do for a living." Entering other countries at least in Asia I never get questioned. Frankfurt asks a lot of questions though.
The security questions asked either at the gate or at check-in is the interview. The airlines don't do it, generally some form of rent-a-cop does.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by catocony
The security questions asked either at the gate or at check-in is the interview. The airlines don't do it, generally some form of rent-a-cop does.
Our flights to the US usually involve going via DUB (Dublin, Ireland) and having US Preclearance there. The staff you describe so unkindly are employed by the airport authority. They work the lines at check-in/bag-drop, are extremely polite, and kindly affix a sticker to the back of our passports to show we've been spoken to. The whole ex-DUB experience, including US preclearance, is painless, usually VERY quick, and infinitely better than we usually encounter elsewhere. YMMV.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by T8191
Not sure whether I should be cross-posting this, but TSA seem to adopting what we already do in UK ... spread the electronics out in the tray so that the screeners can see what's there.

I thought we had been doing that in UK for ages?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-measures.html
I was in London again last summer. I did not have to take my Kindle or my P&S cameras out of my carry-on. I always travel with the cameras, and I have never been told to take them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.