Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Now Requires Separate Screening of Electronic Devices Larger than Cellphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Now Requires Separate Screening of Electronic Devices Larger than Cellphones

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: TSA

"As new procedures are phased in, TSA officers will begin to ask travelers to remove electronics larger than a cell phone from their carry-on bags and place them in a bin with nothing on top or below, similar to how laptops have been screened for years. This simple step helps TSA officers obtain a clearer X-ray image.

It is possible that passengers may experience more bag checks, however, through extensive testing, TSA identified ways to improve screening procedures with quicker and more targeted measures to clear the bags. The new screening procedures in standard lanes are already in place at the following 10 U.S. airports with plans to expand to all airports during the weeks and months ahead:
•Boise Airport (BOI)
•Colorado Springs Airport (COS)
•Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
•Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
•Logan International Airport (BOS)
•Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
•Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport (LBB)
•Luis Muńoz Marín International Airport (SJU)
•McCarran International Airport (LAS)
•Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)

In standard screening lanes, TSA officers will be stationed in front of the checkpoint X-ray machines to guide passengers through the screening process and recommend how best to arrange their carry-on items for X-ray screening. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving. There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint; food and liquid items that comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule, electronics, and books continue to be allowed in carry-on bags."

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...urity-measures
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:20 am

And still the only thing that makes flying any safer is secured cockpit doors, refusal to cooperate with hijackers and passenger willingness to fight back. All else is pure waste.

The U.S. “doesn't have a system to provide air security. It has a system to bother people.”
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...605-story.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
People (mostly women, it seems) are regularly facing 10-20 minute waits for female gropers and TSA still regularly blocks pax view of their belongings (most recently when a TSO kept interfering with a woman's line of sight so her co-worker could steal cash from the pax's purse).

This is nothing more than a dishonest push for Precheck enrollment, because SFO and LAS already regularly require Precheck pax to remove electronics - because they can. TSA's selling point: enroll in Precheck or we will make you miserable.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So enhanced electronics screening is coming to US airports, regardless of destination or origin:

Travelers must remove electronics larger than a mobile phone from their carry-on bags and "place them in a bin with nothing on top or below, similar to how laptops have been screened for years. This simple step helps TSA officers obtain a clearer X-ray image," the TSA announced amid growing fears that electronic devices can pose as homemade bombs.

"Whether you’re flying to, from, or within the United States, TSA is committed to raising the baseline for aviation security by strengthening the overall security of our commercial aviation network to keep flying as a safe option for everyone," TSA Acting Administrator Huban A. Gowadia said. "It is critical for TSA to constantly enhance and adjust security screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats and keep passengers safe. By separating personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening, TSA officers can more closely focus on resolving alarms and stopping terror threats."

<redacted>
Meanwhile, the TSA are using ineffective behavioral screening techniques, according to the GAO and the ACLU:

<redacted>

Last year, taxpayers spent about $186 million to deploy 2,393 officers to blend in at 87 airports to help with screening and identify possible terrorists. The GAO report said there was little science behind how it singled out criminals.

<redacted>
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ning-tsa-says/

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2017 at 11:45 am Reason: Copyright infringement - FT Rule 9
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:48 am

I wonder if this applies to PreCheck, given that you don't have to remove a laptop today if you're Pre.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Thumbs down It's official – all electronics bigger than a phone now out in bins

Includes iPads, etc. Let's make this the official discussion thread.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...urity-measures
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Does each electronic device need it's own bin?

Does this apply to cameras? If I am traveling with 2 cameras do they need to be separated?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Canada has similar rules even in the Trusted Traveler lanes. It's not explicitly required, but if I don't remove all large electronics and some chargers the size of/smaller than a smartphone, my bag will get to secondary, swabbed, some of the chargers divested to a bin, and re-scanned. This occurred earlier this year and last year before the US directed foreign ports of departure to implement such measures explicitly.

I've been told that the Precheck lanes have a minimum quality for X-Ray than general screening lanes (e.g. higher resolution/clearer image) but I have no idea if that's true or not. I was told this at a small airport in the midwest where the agents are polite and generally thorough as to why they gave Precheck light instead of Pre treatment when one line was open and I was the only person in it...
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81
So enhanced electronics screening is coming to US airports, regardless of destination or origin.
What will this do to the viability of the North-East shuttle (e.g. LGA)?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Buster
I wonder if this applies to PreCheck, given that you don't have to remove a laptop today if you're Pre.
The press release I saw specifically said nothing changes for Pre - still no need to remove a laptop or electronics. https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...urity-measures
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:35 pm

Will laptops have to be removed from checkpoint friendly bags? What about the power adapter? Mine is about the size of my cell phone but thicker. Will this apply to DSLR cameras and lenses too?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Not sure whether I should be cross-posting this, but TSA seem to adopting what we already do in UK ... spread the electronics out in the tray so that the screeners can see what's there.

I thought we had been doing that in UK for ages?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...-measures.html

Curious. As a Brit, travelling through UK airports, I've been accustomed to spreading out iPad, Kindle, chargers and cables for years.

Hey-ho, no big deal. It's not going to take more than a minute or so out of your life. But undoubtedly there will be howls of protest from the UminRites fraternity.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 27, 2017 at 11:39 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

Do Kindles have to come out?

At least there is this:

The stronger security measures do not apply to passengers enrolled in TSA Pre✓® who are using TSA Pre✓® lanes.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
Curious. As a Brit, travelling through UK airports, I've been accustomed to spreading out iPad, Kindle, chargers and cables for years.

Hey-ho, no big deal. It's not going to take more than a minute or so out of your life. But undoubtedly there will be howls of protest from the UminRites fraternity.
It's not a big deal on its face, but it presents one more thing the TSA can steal/break/ruin.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by T8191

The UK experience is fairly routine for most other locations, e.g. all electronics, not just laptops and larger.

So long as people know the rules, they will simply unpack the items along with their laptop and the process will move along just fine.

I routinely manage to forget this overseas because I have Pre-Check in the US and thus don't remove even my laptop.

Agreed that this is a non-issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.