Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

San Diego teacher detained after refusing to answer BP question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego teacher detained after refusing to answer BP question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Too bad EVEYONE is not as legal minded as the teacher; if CBP were detaining ALL of "us" maybe this nearly facist policy would cease.
PS: The train from San Diego to the border crosses into the "forbidden zone", does CBP ask for riders to prove their citizenship? Or is it only people who drive in the zone?
If I am not mistaken, CPB does ask travelers to prove their citizenship on trains up close to the Canadian border in the northeast. Buses also.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FMDXR
My thoughts also....basically a harassment technique and the verbal version of "papers please".

GOOD for that teacher making her point known.
Originally Posted by FMDXR
She would be the VERY teacher I would want my kids to be learning from
^^
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zebranz
This is someone who teaches impressionable kids?

What did you do today?
I wasted the time of Government employees doing their job just because I could.
NO, it is the reverse, the gov't is wasting citizens time.
PS: Are there signs prominently posted along the "entrances" to the 100 mile zone noting that proof of citizenship might be required? When I travel in the US I never carry my passport.
When you receive a pp is there a note enclosed that while it is needed to enter FOREIGN countries it might be needed within 100 miles of the INTERIOR USA border?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:58 am

I am not white or a muslim looking and yet I get asked what my citizenship is and even more even after i show them my US passport book or card at the buffalo border. I wonder how they make us safe this way!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by nrr
NO, it is the reverse, the gov't is wasting citizens time.
PS: Are there signs prominently posted along the "entrances" to the 100 mile zone noting that proof of citizenship might be required? When I travel in the US I never carry my passport.
When you receive a pp is there a note enclosed that while it is needed to enter FOREIGN countries it might be needed within 100 miles of the INTERIOR USA border?
They don't ask for proof of US citizenship. They just ask you if you're a US citizen or something to that effect, so US citizens, or at least those whose claim of US citizenship is accepted, need do nothing else.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do. If alone, I guess I would comply as I wouldn't have any witnesses (I am South Asian, but have a standard California accent). If I'm with a large group, maybe then too so as not to waste everyone's time. If with one other person who thinks similarly to me, I might resist. i really wouldn't want to get shot or accidentally deported to Mexico...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:00 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
They don't ask for proof of US citizenship. They just ask you if you're a US citizen or something to that effect, so US citizens, or at least those whose claim of US citizenship is accepted, need do nothing else.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do. If alone, I guess I would comply as I wouldn't have any witnesses (I am South Asian, but have a standard California accent). If I'm with a large group, maybe then too so as not to waste everyone's time. If with one other person who thinks similarly to me, I might resist. i really wouldn't want to get shot or accidentally deported to Mexico...
So if someone who is NOT a US citizen, but claims they are is allowed to pass "go" without further document checking.
Are they relying on the "honesty" of illegals to declare that are indeed Illegals?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a few posts here one can see the MAP of the 100 mile border--NYC is in the zone. At Main Street Flushing station on the #7 line, particularly in the rush hour, 1000's of people boarding the train(s) are mostly Asians, if CBP sets up a check-point there...the lines could cause hour long delays.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
In a few posts here one can see the MAP of the 100 mile border--NYC is in the zone. At Main Street Flushing station on the #7 line, particularly in the rush hour, 1000's of people boarding the train(s) are mostly Asians, if CBP sets up a check-point there...the lines could cause hour long delays.
Perhaps they should. Would let more people see the nonsense.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Exactly.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by nrr
So if someone who is NOT a US citizen, but claims they are is allowed to pass "go" without further document checking.
Are they relying on the "honesty" of illegals to declare that are indeed Illegals?
Your mistake (and it's a common one) is thinking that this is at all about immigration. It's not. It's about the war on drugs and lining the pockets of the corporate prison industry. This can be attested to by the use of drug dogs and automobile searches at these unconstitutional checkpoints, when the SCOTUS strictly limited them to that aforementioned immigration question.

For anyone who thinks that it's a waste of time to stand up for one's rights at these checkpoints, I say to each their own. If you are so against the fourth and fifth amendments to the constitution, feel free to sign a contract forgoing your rights for all interactions with law enforcement and government actors in the future, and post that contract all over social media for everyone to see. What's stopping you? There must be a way for an attorney to make this legally binding. This way, you'll never have to worry again about those pesky amendments getting in the way of your bootlicking tendencies.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by FredAnderssen
There must be a way for an attorney to make this legally binding. This way, you'll never have to worry again about those pesky amendments getting in the way of your bootlicking tendencies.
You may want to look up the definition of "inalienable" eg, inalienable rights.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Once they have stopped you and forced you to interact with them, they have more opportunity to generate "reasonable, articulable suspicion" which permits them to detain you, conduct further investigation that might result in probable cause for arrest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.