Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How much information does 'Big Brother' have on you at airports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Hopefully this thread doesn't veer into the conspiracy aspect of Big Brother but rather focus on the large increase in the amount of data generated from technology used by citizens across the West and the implications of it being accessed by government agencies and employees.

We know that whistleblowers like Snowden and Assange have revealed the domestic citizens which many governments are willing to pander to in terms extent of American intelligence agencies and their surveillance on foreign and of intelligence sharing in terms of mostly criminal records and extrajudicial intelligence from Interpol, Europol etc..

Things have definitely become intrusive from reading many threads online of horror stories and watching the border security shows of Canada and the US where people are arrested for making tweets when landing at their destination, having their laptop hard drive cloned after being detained without consent or being detained for being flagged in a country by police when no arrests, charges, or court appearances were made.

Thankfully, I've had no negative personal experiences yet but I can't help but be worried that If I ever travel, I'll be excited about my well earned trip to the US, passing through the immigration officers quickly only to be detained and arrested for being flagged by British police for a comment I made online a few years back.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When a person purchases an airline ticket the name submitted for that transaction is checked against every terrorist database in the world. I would also expect that TSA has access to other tools such as NICS, credit bureaus, and other databases if needed to vet a passenger. Maybe not direct access but through centralized centers that individual airports can contact when needed.

I would suggest that government has access to all tools needed to vet a passenger. In other words they know just about everything there is to know.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:56 am

Read "Tweets & Replies" from this guy, Steve Phelps‏ @giohio, for an idea of what he & his wife went through departing Dublin:

Samples:

And the lead flight attendant recorded the seats in which we were sitting.
What was it that triggered THAT? We made it through passport control, but they quizzed Jennie on the check baggage, with PICTURES of the bag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.