Wiki Posts
Search

The return of Code Bravo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The return of Code Bravo

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the airport... Code Bravo is back. All new and improved too.

It was at PHL on Wednesday not only at the D/E checkpoint but also in the food hall, blocking access to the D exit doors and E exit doors, blocking access to C connector and F connector. Lasted over 10 minutes. This had to involve over 500 passengers who were "ordered" to "freeze" by over 100 tsa clerks. A massive "show of force". Some pax decided to unfreeze which was met with shouts of "Sir and Maam Stop" They did not. Ha! Reminded me of a children's freeze game except much stupider.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:10 am

LOL....I'd just keep on walking and ignore the <deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 12, 2017 at 9:40 am Reason: Term not used in this forum; please refer to Sticky thread "Please Read: Important Information"
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do the cops play along or just the TSA clerks?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Do the cops play along or just the TSA clerks?
A few Philadelphia police officers were standing there but did not do anything when the clerks were yelling at pax walking toward the exits.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
A few Philadelphia police officers were standing there but did not do anything when the clerks were yelling at pax walking toward the exits.
Just tell the clerks "You didn't say 'Simon says' "
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:11 am

Not too many of these have been caught on film. They
are bad PR because they don't jibe with the Bill of Rights, the right to travel
unmolested and all that.
I happened to catch one in Miami and put it on youtube and didn't hear about Code Bravos for a while, and naively thought I had contributed to their demise. Sorry
to hear they're back.

Last edited by yandosan; Jul 13, 2017 at 2:17 am
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I hit one of these in the BETA stage. HOU as I remember. I am hearing impaired so I am reading directional signs to Baggage Claim and trying to not run over anyone. Oddly everyone was just standing around. A woman on the moving sidewalk which had been turned off screamed at me "They said we should freeze!" I hear screams. I looked right at her and said "You are doing great, carry on" and I continued to baggage.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And how are we even supposed to know what a "Bravo" is? The first thing that came to mind for me is an h-bomb test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bravo

Does that mean we need to duck & cover?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And how are we even supposed to know what a "Bravo" is? The first thing that came to mind for me is an h-bomb test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bravo

Does that mean we need to duck & cover?
Don't think I will fit under my grade school desk. When this was going on we lived near a base conducting B52 training.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
A few questions:

a) As I'm deaf, and if I don't hear what's happening, and isn't aware, what would happen if I were to walk through a Bravo? Would there be any chance of me getting arrested?
b) What is the point of Bravo, anyway?
c) What would happen with people who miss their flights, etc. because of this?

For the PHL incident, am I correct in understanding that nobody was allowed to leave the terminal? What if someone had an emergency or had to leave to meet a friend or family member waiting outside?

I just don't understand how this even can happen.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
A few questions:

a) As I'm deaf, and if I don't hear what's happening, and isn't aware, what would happen if I were to walk through a Bravo? Would there be any chance of me getting arrested?
b) What is the point of Bravo, anyway?
c) What would happen with people who miss their flights, etc. because of this?

For the PHL incident, am I correct in understanding that nobody was allowed to leave the terminal? What if someone had an emergency or had to leave to meet a friend or family member waiting outside?

I just don't understand how this even can happen.
A, TSA aren't LEOs, so they can't detain you. If they tell you to stop and stand in place, and you ignore them, you're not going anything illegal.

B, who knows. I guess they're attempting to simulate shutting down a checkpoint due to an attack or something. However, as stated in A, they don't have the authority to detain anyone at any time.

C, I'm sure TSA doesn't care. If a large number of people were held up for a while, the airlines would probably hold a flight for a few minutes.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have any intent to participate in a TSA drill.

If a screener shouts at you then ask if they are detaining you. If you are landside the checkpoint will be shutdown so you won't be screened at that time but if leaving the airport go about your business.

If TSA wants to call the police then let them do so and file a complaint that a TSA employee was trying to illegally detain you.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jul 18, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
I guess they're attempting to simulate shutting down a checkpoint due to an attack or something.
This can't be the real reason. If they were simulating their behavior during an attack, they'd be running at top speed (Well, THEIR too speed), away from the simulated area, screaming like a 13 year old girl, and pushing passengers out of their way.

Based on their history.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by JoeBas
This can't be the real reason. If they were simulating their behavior during an attack, they'd be running at top speed (Well, THEIR too speed), away from the simulated area, screaming like a 13 year old girl, and pushing passengers out of their way.

Based on their history.
I have always thought that the idea was to stop movement if someone headed down the concourse before screening was completed, or took a bag that was waiting for secondary screening. Now, if someone did that intentionally, he or she would be long gone, and someone who did it by mistake might not notice the shouting, either.

But if it *were* an attack, or even a bomb scare, *I* wouldn't want to "freeze" and stay there!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by JoeBas

Based on their history.
This actually makes sense. In an emergency, TSOs are trained to think only of their own personal safety.

Yelling 'Freeze!' makes it easier to beat the pax to the exits and it sounds better than 'Get out of my way!'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.