Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

How often is 'random' on TSA Pre-Check divert for more screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Pre-check line, guy in front beeps for metal. He takes off his shoes and sends them through. He goes again and gets beeped for random more screening. I thank him for taking one for me.

I go through- and it 'randomly' picks me too.

I start using not nice language. Not exactly random. My usual schpeel about irradiated or fondled. Of course I go through the scanner, and have to get fondled anyways.

What is the frequency on the metal detectors pushing for seconday screening? Two in a row, seriously?
Old May 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

Actually, if the algorithm that selects passengers for "additional screening" is truly random, then it should pick consecutive passengers from time to time. The fact that someone got selected just ahead of you should have absolutely no effect on whether or not you got selected. That's what "randomness" means.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

That topic is also discussed in the Trusted Travelers forum in the following thread:
If you wish to discuss the subject there, please keep in mind that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational. It is the place for sharing practical advice and information, not rants, commentaries and opinions.

You are welcome to vent and debate in this forum.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 25, 2017, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Actually, if the algorithm that selects passengers for "additional screening" is truly random, then it should pick consecutive passengers from time to time. The fact that someone got selected just ahead of you should have absolutely no effect on whether or not you got selected. That's what "randomness" means.
Some of the "random" selections may be set to try to capture travel companions too. In other words, something like this: if a random selection hit occurs, the odds of the next 1-X being hit is set to be even higher for Y passes until dropping back down to base random selection rate.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Do they use this dude?

scolbath and Boggie Dog like this.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
A few months ago at JFK T8 (AA), TSA P-C almost every other person was "random". When I had to go back (after "beeping"), they wanted me to take my canvas shoes off [nearly NO metal]. But since so many pax were being sent back--they couldn't keep track of who was going through first or were being re-scanned--I didn't take my shoes off, I did NOT "beep" and exited scanning area. I think the machine was defective.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
This.

Now, that said, they can dial up or down the probabilities, and the higher it is, the higher the chance two consecutive pax will "win" a groping or AIT screening.

I had a bad string of luck where I hit the random checkpoint lottery for a good 4-5 times in a row. Despite know "that's not how it works," seeing several pax go through in front of me without drawing the random alarm, I "knew" my luck was not to be and indeed got dinged. (In reality, every "trial" of something approximating randomness is independent, and seeing the person before get "caught" doesn't make me any less likely, nor does seeing a long string of pax going through without getting "caught.")

Side note, but I can always tell the difference as the beep is about a half second delayed--if it had been metal, it would have been immediate.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:30 pm

Had a first this weekend.

I'm Pre-check and was hit "randomly" at MSP. I had to wait 5-10 mins after multiple pagings just to have someone swab my cell phone.

Then was also hit "randomly" at MIA. Had to go through the body scanner.

What list am I now on lol?
Old May 30, 2017, 2:38 pm

I have noticed that the rate is different at different airports. I was at one airport where it seemed like at least ten to twenty percent of people were getting the random beep. Then, at another airport, there was a long line and thankfully, it seemed the nobody got the random beep.

1. I have in some instances seen them adjust things on top of the metal detector. Is this to adjust the random ratio? Generally, it seems like the random rate (which I think they refer to as "quota" is higher when there is someone standing at the body scanner near the precheck line than when the body scanner is instead roped off.

2. What percentages of randoms result in one being sent to the body scanner (with a chance to opt-out) versus electronics being swabbed? Is there any order to them (after a body scanner random, the next one is an electronic swab)? The beeps sound the same for both.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
I've been thinking about "randomness" since last week. One of the few people at Pre for PDX D/E at 4am. WTMD beeps and the guard looks at his watch and nods, directs me for further inspection. Look to watch could have been a habit but somehow I'm guessing it was expected.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:56 pm

Back in February going through Pre at HOU, almost every other person was dinged myself included. I opted out but this was before the enhanced patdown so through quickly. Same trip returning via LAX the metal detector beeped again, not sure if it was the random or metal detection. TSA officer just asked me to step through again and it was clear, maybe it had been giving known falses ir he just didn't want to deal with extra steps.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:32 pm

It’s now happened to me 4 consecutive times

I
The 1st three times there’s was practically no one in line yet I am beeped by the machine again and here I go again. Each time I was told I was being selected randomly. The 4th time I got the same plus screening for briefcase. Why the heck did I renew my TTP for this. Heck the know me better than my fam . How much is random ????

Last edited by Golfcrazy16; May 6, 2018 at 5:35 pm Reason: Spelling erro
Old May 7, 2018, 4:15 am

On the subject of "random" selection, take a look at the 2011 SPOT study's description of how SPOTniks are apparently not capable of doing random selection, p. 50–51/194–95 (Bates 4468–69).
Old May 7, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Golfcrazy16
I
The 1st three times there’s was practically no one in line yet I am beeped by the machine again and here I go again. Each time I was told I was being selected randomly. The 4th time I got the same plus screening for briefcase. Why the heck did I renew my TTP for this. Heck the know me better than my fam . How much is random ????
Given that you have renewed, you presumably have been a participant for some time. If you have been "deselected" the most likely cause is that your profile information has been corrupted, e.g. an IT glitch. Either you or your carrier should clear out your KTN, resave your profile and then go back in, reenter and resave. Also, make certain that the name on your profile matches the name under which your KTN is issued down to the last period and space.

If at that point you are being deselected and it has then ocurred five times, it is not likely to be random and thus there is a reason. That could be as simple as someone with a close name or other match, has been added to various watch lists, to something about you which is wrong or not. In that case, while Pre-check and Redress are not directly linked, you should apply for a Redress number. Do that only as a last resort.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:23 pm

What kind of search did they do on you? I was behind a "random" person who got pulled out of the metal detector when the "randomizer" beeped. But they just ran him through the other scanner and that was it. No patdown. That was at PDX yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.