Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Go look through either @TSA or @AskTSA. It was a couple of weeks ago. And see Chollie's comment also.

Here's another one:
Ahhhhhh, so I see what I think you are referring to.

The original comment stated "since when did candy not be allowed in your bag through security? Apparently this has been a rule for a while..... this is in precheck"

The item was not "confiscated", the item was not even voluntarily abandoned. It was removed from the bag and run separately - which happens quite often if a bag is too densely packed. If you pull up all of the comments from the original poster @harvellafella for March 7th, you will see that he has a discussion with someone else where he indicates "3:30ish checkpoint to the higher number gates. Why does candy have to be removed from bags in precheck?"

Then "I work in the food industry and I have taken bags of products through multiple airport precheck lines with no issue"

Then @asktsa chimed in with "Any items are subject to additional screening. This may be to resolve alarms or as part of our screening measures.".
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by gsoltso
Ahhhhhh, so I see what I think you are referring to.

The original comment stated "since when did candy not be allowed in your bag through security? Apparently this has been a rule for a while..... this is in precheck"

The item was not "confiscated", the item was not even voluntarily abandoned. It was removed from the bag and run separately - which happens quite often if a bag is too densely packed. If you pull up all of the comments from the original poster @harvellafella for March 7th, you will see that he has a discussion with someone else where he indicates "3:30ish checkpoint to the higher number gates. Why does candy have to be removed from bags in precheck?"

Then "I work in the food industry and I have taken bags of products through multiple airport precheck lines with no issue"

Then @asktsa chimed in with "Any items are subject to additional screening. This may be to resolve alarms or as part of our screening measures.".
No, <redacted>, this was not the incident in question. In the incident I referred to the candy was taken away from the passenger. Now I will admit I could have the wrong airport but the candy was definitely taken from the passenger.

There's also been another incident in the last few weeks wherein TSA took a child's bag of cookies away from him and left the child in tears.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 15, 2018 at 1:59 pm Reason: FT Rule 21 - privacy
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:16 pm

No, <redacted>, this was not the incident in question. In the incident I referred to the candy was taken away from the passenger. Now I will admit I could have the wrong airport but the candy was definitely taken from the passenger.

There's also been another incident in the last few weeks wherein TSA took a child's bag of cookies away from him and left the child in tears.
I believe the normal response is:

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint.
<deleted>.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 15, 2018 at 2:10 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quote post / Unnecessary
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:53 am

I have not seen those, though I was looking specifically for GSO related information. I can not think of a case that requires the disallowance of food items - caveat for liquids, gels, pastes, other items of that format. Cookies or candy (hard candy, candy bars, etc) are allowed to be carried through. One difference currently, is more places are asking passengers to remove larger food items from the bag and run them separately to help speed the process by cutting down on the number of bag checks. Until this particular thread, I had not heard of this type of item (cookies, candy) being disallowed.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 15, 2018 at 2:00 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I've had the new procedure three times already this month (at SFO, OAK, DEN)...

It's the usual procedure:
  • Back of the collar
  • Front of the hands on the arms and back
  • Inside and outside back of the waistband
  • Back of the hands down the buttocks
  • Slide the hands up the legs to the groin from the back
  • Front of the collar
  • Front of the hands on the sides and chest
  • Inside and outside front of the waistband
  • Back of the hands down the sides of the groin
  • *** New part here, see below ***
  • Slide the hands up the legs to the groin from the front
  • Front of the hands on the tops of the feet

The new part is the back of the hands sliding across the front of the groin three times, like:
  • From passenger's perspective, left to right, just below the waistline
  • Left to right, in the middle of the groin area
  • Left to right, at the bottom of the groin area
I got the new patdown yesterday. It seems there's still a lot left to screener discretion, as the patdown yesterday felt less invasive to me than several I've had before. The TSA employee interlocked her hands and passed the back of her hands across the front of lower torso a few times, but there were no fingers in my waistband, no hands in my hair, and minimal hands between my legs (i.e., only one pass and no groin chops).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I got the new patdown yesterday. It seems there's still a lot left to screener discretion, as the patdown yesterday felt less invasive to me than several I've had before. The TSA employee interlocked her hands and passed the back of her hands across the front of lower torso a few times, but there were no fingers in my waistband, no hands in my hair, and minimal hands between my legs (i.e., only one pass and no groin chops).
Might not the difference between female and male anatomy account for this? Fewer things to get in the way of the horizontal swiping.

I think it is interesting they've gone to this really awful technique and inflict it
on people for the slightest of causes. It highlights the complete bankruptcy of their regime, even after the expensive machines, and a 95% failure rate. They failed, so passenger must pay.

Clearly, TSA management wouldn't have imposed this on everyone unless they thought they could get away with it. The camel is well into the tent at this point.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Clearly, TSA management wouldn't have imposed this on everyone unless they thought they could get away with it. The camel is well into the tent at this point.
Yup. This wouldn't be possible if we didn't have thousands of cheerful, eager TSOs ready and willing to rub and fondle and chop groins for a living.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Yup. This wouldn't be possible if we didn't have thousands of cheerful, eager TSOs ready and willing to rub and fondle and chop groins for a living.
Not to mention those travelers who seem to think it is either quite funny or very acceptable to be sexually assaulted by TSA screeners.

I still want to know if the screeners who do pat downs are volunteers or are they told they have to do them to keep their jobs. Strange that no one will answer that question for me.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:59 am

I have not seen those, though I was looking specifically for GSO related information. I can not think of a case that requires the disallowance of food items - caveat for liquids, gels, pastes, other items of that format. Cookies or candy (hard candy, candy bars, etc) are allowed to be carried through. One difference currently, is more places are asking passengers to remove larger food items from the bag and run them separately to help speed the process by cutting down on the number of bag checks. Until this particular thread, I had not heard of this type of item (cookies, candy) being disallowed.

Bottle of size-compliant lotion was confiscated this weekend at GSO because TSA could not determine it was not explosive. As well, the passengers was subjected to a sexual assault because TSA could not determine "explosivity."
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:51 am

Bottle of size-compliant lotion was confiscated this weekend at GSO because TSA could not determine it was not explosive. As well, the passengers was subjected to a sexual assault because TSA could not determine "explosivity."
You have a link to that so I can read up on it?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:17 am

Child being sexually assaulted by TSA

https://www.facebook.com/jendemirecs

We have been through hell this morning. They detained Aaron for well over an hour at DFW. (And deliberately kept us from our flight... we are now on an alternate)

Last edited by petaluma1; Mar 27, 2017 at 6:23 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:40 am

You have a link to that so I can read up on it?
Personal conversation. Lotion, compliant, was removed from her bag and she was not allowed to get out of line to dispose of it herself.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
I still want to know if the screeners who do pat downs are volunteers or are they told they have to do them to keep their jobs. Strange that no one will answer that question for me.
I can't answer definitively, but I presume most are of the latter group based on the number of unenthusiastic (often thorough to clarify, but definitely not enthusiastic) pat down givers I've dealt with.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Mar 27, 2017 at 8:20 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
This is really really disgusting, even for TSA. That TSO is a perv, plain and simple. I'd particulary like some 'academy'-trained TSO to explain why this screener went back and gave the boy's groin (penis and scrotum) a second aggressive rubbing before testing his gloves. Pure pleasure or SSI? Or did his 'screener discretion' allow him to stroke and rub the boy as many times as he wanted, as long as he does the mandatory minimum number of strokes?

This screener forced the boy to go through a grope that the boy would not be permitted to watch on a public movie screen, because it would cause the movie to be R-rated.

Any screener who tries to defend what happened in this video should post videos of themselves doing the same thing to their own children in public, so their kids can truly understand what Mom and Dad do to other kids.

This is without doubt the worst I've ever seen. I have not only lost every shred of respect I might once have had for 'good apple' TSOs, because no one who does this or tries to defend it or squirms with delight while watching it instead of 'seeing something' and 'saying something' is not my idea of a 'good apple' - or even a normal decent human being.

That goes double for the two cops who evidently supported this action and stood threateningly by to gawk and ensure that the screener was able to enjoy his groping - including the return for a second pass.

If I saw this screener on the street, I would call him out, loud and clear, for what he is. Filthy TSA-enabled pervert. I hate to say it, but from now on, every time I read a post from someone who professes to be a TSO, I will be visualizing that screener-poster with his/her hands on some young kids privates.

Last edited by chollie; Mar 27, 2017 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Touching anyone like shown in that video is just unnecessarily gross and gratuitous. If the TSA thinks these sexual/private part feeling-ups are needed to locate explosives, guns and other contraband weapons, explosives/ and incendiaries on young buys and girls wearing shorts even, the TSA needs to go back to the drawing board.

Nowhere else in the world -- beside where the TSA claims to rule the roost -- would you see such a kind of scene so often at an airport screening checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.