Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Differences in TSA penalties for screeners vs others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

See @ https://s.ai/foia/#tsa :

2014-05-15 guidelines on using table of offenses and penalties (2p)
2014-05-15 table of offenses and penalties (30p)
MD 1100.75-3 2014-02-12 Addressing unacceptable performance and conduct (7p)
MD 1100.75-3 2014-02-12 Addressing unacceptable performance and conduct - handbook (28p)

Some interesting differences a TSO informant pointed out to me in the table:

TSOs automatically fired, non-TSOs not:
* positive drug test, § C 3
* positive alcohol test, § C 6
- also, different standards: TSOs, BAC <0.2 OK; non-TSOs, BAC <0.4 OK
* theft, § N 3

Also for misuse of ID, § G 4: recommended firing for TSOs, Inspectors, & LEOs, not for others.

AFAICT, "TSO" here means TSO, LTSO, MTSO, ETSO, and BDO — but not STSO, TSM, or above.

Thoughts on the double standard?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:14 pm

Interesting.

As for the double standard, I read through the "guidelines" sections and number 13 states that Senior Officials will be held to a higher standard. It appears from your analysis a higher standard does not exist for Senior Officials.

Guideline 14 was also interesting, TSA punishes employees for "off duty" conduct, WTH? Do other Federal Agencies punish employees for conduct while "off duty"?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Most Federal employees fall under OPM guidelines for relief from duty that cover both job performance causes and to a lesser extent off duty behavior. The protections are extensive and firing an employee, at least from a management point of view, is onerous. Within several Federal agencies there are excepted groups that are not affforded the same "protections" because of what is considered the special nature or sensitivity of their positions. The AFGE, the union that represents TSA agents, has made it a main focus to get screeners, etc., who are now in excepted positions back under the full OPM protective umbrella.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
Interesting.

As for the double standard, I read through the "guidelines" sections and number 13 states that Senior Officials will be held to a higher standard. It appears from your analysis a higher standard does not exist for Senior Officials.

Guideline 14 was also interesting, TSA punishes employees for "off duty" conduct, WTH? Do other Federal Agencies punish employees for conduct while "off duty"?
I sure hope so.

TSOs have been caught off-duty identifying themselves as 'federal officers' or flashing their badges to gain advantage.

Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chollie
TSOs have been caught off-duty identifying themselves as 'federal officers' or flashing their badges to gain advantage.
Link please.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:56 am

Like Chollie I could have sworn I'd seen or read news stories of off-duty "abuse of power" or misrepresentation by TSA personnel. I'm still pretty sure of it but a search comes up with lots of other misconduct both on and off duty like abuse, rape, theft, drug smuggling, human trafficking, etc., but not misrepresentation. The one case I think I remember was an agent who got in the middle of some public domestic or child abuse situation. As I recall he supposedly presented himself as a "Federal agent". As I recall he said he didn't get involved as an agent but as a concerned citizen. Supposedly it was going to be investigated but I don't recall any further news or mention of it and a search brings up nothing.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How many TSA employes have ever actually been fired for theft from passengers theynare screening or checked bags? I suspect not enough.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:55 pm

Programs: TSA
I sure hope so.

One of them just got fired at DEN for that.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by eyecue
One of them just got fired at DEN for that.
Do you mind saying: was this a cocky newbie or someone who had been around long enough so s/he couldn't possibly pretend s/he didn't know better?

Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Most Federal employees fall under OPM guidelines for relief from duty that cover both job performance causes and to a lesser extent off duty behavior. The protections are extensive and firing an employee, at least from a management point of view, is onerous. Within several Federal agencies there are excepted groups that are not affforded the same "protections" because of what is considered the special nature or sensitivity of their positions. The AFGE, the union that represents TSA agents, has made it a main focus to get screeners, etc., who are now in excepted positions back under the full OPM protective umbrella.
Screeners are treated like garbage because that is how TSA wants it.

Screener fall squarely within the arbitrary and capricious dictates of the TSA Administrator.

(d) <<NOTE: 49 USC 44935 note.>> Screener Personnel.-- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Under Secretary of Transportation for Security may employ, appoint, discipline, terminate, and fix the compensation, terms, and conditions of employment of Federal service for such a number of individuals as the Under Secretary determines to be necessary to carry out the screening functions of the Under Secretary under section 44901 of title 49, United States Code. The Under Secretary shall establish levels of compensation and other benefits for individuals so employed.

So where screeners have sought basic rights as Federal Employees - that almost ALL other Federal employees are priviledge with - TSA snubs its nose at screeners and claims "49 USC 44935 note says we do not have to basic law that apply to employment, even more so, we do not have to treat like anything but maybe second class individuals."
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:26 am

Screeners have no problem working for an agency that says the rules are whatever you want them to be when you are dealing with pax.

Those same screeners should stop whining when their employer applies the same 'the rules are what I say they are' approach to them.

How does it feel to be on the losing end of a game where you don't know what the rules are?

Zero sympathy.

Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Screeners have no problem working for an agency that says the rules are whatever you want them to be when you are dealing with pax.

Those same screeners should stop whining when their employer applies the same 'the rules are what I say they are' approach to them.

How does it feel to be on the losing end of a game where you don't know what the rules are?

Zero sympathy.
I disagree.

I am obviously no TSA apologist. I don't condone the policies, and I do not condone screeners who violate clearly established law, regardless of what the policies are.

However, it's also a bad, low paying, low morale job. Making it worse in terms of working conditions etc only means you get people doing it because they have no realistic alternatives.

Screeners deserve to have the same basic rights as all other random Federal workers — for instance, to get reasonable accommodations for their own disabilities, to advocate through unions for better working conditions, to have safety protections like dosimeters, etc.

I would much rather have TSOs be properly compensated, trained, protected from hazards, etc., and without the various abuses by management I've heard of from multiple TSO informants. (I've had more than one contact me — https://s.ai/contact, hint hint — who supports my advocacy work, despite themselves working as TSOs.)

Those sorts of things make for worse screeners. Even if you lack any empathy for them as people doing a repugnant job, at least take the cynical view: happier, better trained screeners are less likely to be barking or otherwise abusive towards pax.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:42 pm

I understand what you are saying, and as always, I think it is implicitly understood that there are good screeners.

That said, I'm thinking of the TSOs who make up the rules as they go, whether from laziness (if you don't know the answer, why lie?) or vindictiveness (harassing someone asking for one of the few real rules to be followed, refusing to summon a supervisor, etc).

For those individuals, the ones who thrive on making up the rules as they go - not with security and common sense in mind, but for completely unacceptable reasons - I don't have any sympathy when they complain about being on the receiving end of the same treatment. I doubt that sort of TSO stops to think: "I hate it when my bosses do this to me, so maybe pax don't like it when I do it to them".

I want professional happy employees. I see professional, happy employees every time I go to an In-and-Out. It's just not that hard.

I've worked in far worse situations than TSA - no paid-for academy training, uniform allowance, federal benefits. I got none of those, and still got incompetent management and the sort of low-morale environment that generally produces.

At no time during those unpleasant interludes did I think it was appropriate to take out my disgruntlement with management on my co-workers or my customers.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I understand what you are saying, and as always, I think it is implicitly understood that there are good screeners.

That said, I'm thinking of the TSOs who make up the rules as they go, whether from laziness (if you don't know the answer, why lie?) or vindictiveness (harassing someone asking for one of the few real rules to be followed, refusing to summon a supervisor, etc).

For those individuals, the ones who thrive on making up the rules as they go - not with security and common sense in mind, but for completely unacceptable reasons - I don't have any sympathy when they complain about being on the receiving end of the same treatment. I doubt that sort of TSO stops to think: "I hate it when my bosses do this to me, so maybe pax don't like it when I do it to them".

I want professional happy employees. I see professional, happy employees every time I go to an In-and-Out. It's just not that hard.

I've worked in far worse situations than TSA - no paid-for academy training, uniform allowance, federal benefits. I got none of those, and still got incompetent management and the sort of low-morale environment that generally produces.

At no time during those unpleasant interludes did I think it was appropriate to take out my disgruntlement with management on my co-workers or my customers.
That goes back to something I say a lot, in regards to cops, firefighters, soldiers, restaurant waitstaff, MVA workers, and pretty much everybody in existence - Having a difficult/dirty/unpleasant/dangerous job is no excuse for doing your job poorly.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
That goes back to something I say a lot, in regards to cops, firefighters, soldiers, restaurant waitstaff, MVA workers, and pretty much everybody in existence - Having a difficult/dirty/unpleasant/dangerous job is no excuse for doing your job poorly.
+1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.